Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Issue with cam lock vs screw terminals  (Read 1965 times)

mr-b

Issue with cam lock vs screw terminals
« on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »

Hi

I had occasion to replace an older Openreach Mk2 socket (as it appeared corroded inside, possible from being in an unventilated kitchen) with one of the new NTE 4C Mk4 sockets.

However I found the sync speeds were very poor afterwards and the connection intermittently dropped. I checked the tool-less cam and found that the A & B wires pretty much fell out after unlocking it. I tried refitting the wires into the cam but the same happened i.e. it did not seem to be a positive lock at all. The wires were unstripped as per the OR instructions, though I have seem some Amazon reviews say they stripped the wires. I put back the older screw terminal Mk2 socket and the connection was stable afterwards. The wires were original from the pole i.e. not extensions.

I heard of some issue with earlier models with blue cam sockets but this one was clear. Or did I just get unlucky with a faulty one? I'm not familiar with these push down terminals unfortunately so may have missed something obvious.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:52:38 PM by mr-b »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Issue with cam lock vs screw terminals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:41:26 AM »

I heard of some issue with earlier models with blue cam sockets but this one was clear. Or did I just get unlucky with a faulty one?

I am not impressed with the build quality of the current NTE5/C and associated face-plates. (They have been built to a price and not to a standard.) Personally, I would not use one. There are many new NTE5/A available from the usual sources . . .

It is quite possible that you have got an even-more-defective-than-normal NTE5/C.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »

You say the wires are the original from the pole - I assume the ends that are in the NTE are solid cored as the cam-locks won't work correctly with stranded wires? If it's the correct gauge wire then it should be a tight fit in the cam-locks.
Unstripped wires are correct so don't strip them first. These instructions look pretty good - http://www.davefrydoes.co.uk/install-an-new-style-nte5c-bt-openreach-etc-telephone-master-socket-replacing-nte5a/
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

mr-b

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »

Yes the wires were solid core. But I think I made a schoolboy error and didn't thread the wires through the tiny holes in the cam, I just placed them in the connection blades and then used the cam lock to clamp down. It seems the cam holes will position the wires correctly. I think because the cam is in clear plastic the holes aren't clearly visible as an entry point, and I'd never used them before. Also looking at instructions on a PDF on a mobile screen is never a great experience (the box didn't come with any)! That's my defence anyway ! ;-)

I'll try it out when I visit again.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 12:35:25 PM »

.. But I think I made a schoolboy error and didn't thread the wires through the tiny holes in the cam, I just placed them in the connection blades and then used the cam lock to clamp down. ...

I did wonder if that was the issue when you said that they fell out when you opened the camlock.
 :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:42:17 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 02:40:15 PM »

But I think I made a schoolboy error and didn't thread the wires through the tiny holes in the cam, I just placed them in the connection blades and then used the cam lock to clamp down.

Ah, that would explain the situation.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything