Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Will it be Fibre Optic or not?  (Read 4523 times)

black33

Will it be Fibre Optic or not?
« on: March 24, 2021, 11:54:56 PM »

Live in a small cul-de-sac where only adsl2 is available at present with 8mbps top download speed.
Have been enquiring about fibre for a while now but Openreach say nope no plans for your area sorry.
Today notices appeared saying Openreach will be putting up poles.
Hopefully this will mean fibre at last but I have been told fibre cannot come from a pole to a property is this right?
Could the pole be used to carry the fibre from pole to pole and then underground used to the premises. We don't have any ducting as far as I am aware the current connection to my home is via a cable which i have managed to dig up a few times when gardening in the past.
I know residents would prefer the cable to be hidden underground but am guessing the cheapest, quickest and easy way is over head cable from pole?
Any thoughts?

Brickmortar

Re: Will it be Fibre Optic or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 03:38:27 AM »

Almost certain to be fibre

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:50:13 AM »

Fibre most certainly can come from a pole, there are multiple recent discussions from people who are in the process of having it fitting via poles or HAD it fitted already.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »

And welcome to the forum!  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 08:32:42 AM »

Hopefully this will mean fibre at last but I have been told fibre cannot come from a pole to a property is this right?

Whoever told you that was very mistaken,  they've been hanging fibre from poles for year's. Loads of our area has just had fibre put on poles, our estate is all underground, hopefully we'll get fibre but not poles.

Here's an example from 2018 http://andysworld.org.uk/tag/fttp/
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

black33

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »

And welcome to the forum!  ;D

Thank you  :)

And a big thanks to the fellas who replied to my question, looking forward to fibre in a few months time then, fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 11:44:13 AM by black33 »

black33

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 02:13:53 PM »

Sorry to open this topic again.

So it's unanimous it will be a fibre connection, what kind of speeds will this make available, super fast or just your average 50-60mbps?

Thanks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »

So it's unanimous it will be a fibre connection, what kind of speeds will this make available, super fast or just your average 50-60mbps?

It will be whatever speed service you decide to purchase from your ISP/CP. (There will be no distance related speed drop nor any other problems as can be observed with metallic pathway defects.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

black33

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 03:32:08 PM »

It will be whatever speed service you decide to purchase from your ISP/CP. (There will be no distance related speed drop nor any other problems as can be observed with metallic pathway defects.)
Ah right thank you for that. Was unsure what speeds would be possible with overhead cable as in if it was limited, so in effect if a 1gb service is available this cabling can deliver it, great news, cheers.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »

Yes, the fibre optic cable can deliver speeds far more that's what's currently available to order.

Fastest package available on FTTP currently is 1000/220 Mbps, not all providers offer this though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

black33

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 04:08:32 PM »

Yes, the fibre optic cable can deliver speeds far more that's what's currently available to order.

Fastest package available on FTTP currently is 1000/220 Mbps, not all providers offer this though.

And no doubt the faster you want the more it costs?
I will be happy for anything around 40-50mbps if the cost is reasonable. I don't need lightning speed or anything so won't be paying top whack for a top service.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 06:40:00 PM »

@black33 You did ask what speeds would be available so now that you know you pays your money and takes your choice, or words to that effect. ;D

black33

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 07:20:45 PM »

@black33 You did ask what speeds would be available so now that you know you pays your money and takes your choice, or words to that effect. ;D

Yup correct, I will start saving now  ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »

And no doubt the faster you want the more it costs?
I will be happy for anything around 40-50mbps if the cost is reasonable. I don't need lightning speed or anything so won't be paying top whack for a top service.

An example of Zen current prices:
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

black33

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 10:22:09 PM »

mmm thanks for the prices, was looking at £20 to £25 per month tops so Zen is a no go for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3