Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Will it be Fibre Optic or not?  (Read 4562 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Will it be Fibre Optic or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 12:17:06 AM »

mmm thanks for the prices, was looking at £20 to £25 per month tops so Zen is a no go for me.

I can't remember if they do the cheaper packages (annoyingly I had to use a different post code to get that page as no FTTP here yet), I know many ISPs go as low as 40Mbit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »

There are some options around that price, but you'll need to check your selected ISP can/will supply FTTP, not all can at the moment.

You may have to take advantage of cash back offers to get that price as well.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

craigv

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »

An example of Zen current prices:

Ohh only £7 for an extra 400mbps... this is how they get you :) and I like how they seem to imply you need at least 300mbps for 4K streaming...  ;D

I'll just sit here chugging along on my 24mbps whilst I refresh the FTTP checker frantically ;-)

C
RedHotAnt Unlimited 56k -> NTL 750kbit cable -> Virgin Size 4mbit cable -> Sky 5mbit ADSL -> Zen Internet 25mbit VDSL ->  Zen Internet 900mbit FTTP

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2021, 11:17:55 AM »

I like Gigaclear's pricing, only £5 for 70Mbps more, or £10 for 270Mbps more

black33

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »

There are some options around that price, but you'll need to check your selected ISP can/will supply FTTP, not all can at the moment.

You may have to take advantage of cash back offers to get that price as well.

Yes I will shop around when the time comes, thanks for your advice.

black33

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »

I realise we are talking Openreach approved isps here but we also have a local co-operative set-up who tell me they can deliver speeds upto 1gig for £30 per month so Openreach may be swerved if this becomes available.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 04:22:52 AM »

Be a bit wary with ‘local operations’ - ask the question how does maintenance happen? Do they have professional staff such as Openreach does ready to fix problems 7 days a week within x hours etc. I have heard nth hand tales of horror stories about such.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 05:33:25 AM »

None quite so bad a Digital Region I expect, where we got cut-off when the network closed and I was chasing up ANY broadband connection as the order process got tied up in Openreach red-tape.

At least these new networks are entirely independent of Openreach.  (at least to the home anyway)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

black33

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 08:51:53 PM »

Yeah have now given the co-operative the word we are not interested. They had 5 months to decide if they wanted to bring us fibre but never got back to us.
And as you gentlemen have kindly pointed out if in future you want to change provider you are stuck and they could always just keep on upping the monthly charges.
So sticking with the OR set up which is going to start soon I believe.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 02:21:37 AM »

If its physically a completely different network to Openreach, you're only "stuck" to a minimum contract period, it should have zero impact on your ability to get Openreach service in the future.

black33

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »

If its physically a completely different network to Openreach, you're only "stuck" to a minimum contract period, it should have zero impact on your ability to get Openreach service in the future.

Yes the community fibre set up is independent of Openreach. Anyway I am pleased Openreach are now undertaking the task of bringing us residents fibre.
Thanks for all your help, stay safe.

black33

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 10:57:58 PM »

We now have poles in the ground and labels on them saying fibre  ;)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 12:58:42 AM »

BT often tend to be the most competitive of the Openreach FTTP ISP at the moment

Yes the community fibre set up is independent of Openreach

I always find Community Fibre to be an overused and slightly confusing term - apart from BT's Community Fibre programme, there is also https://communityfibre.co.uk/ which are very well funded and run their own fibre network in London..

black33

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2021, 09:28:55 PM »

Well its all been installed now just need to find a good deal for fttp on the network.
I've got the OH line to my property and IR fitted me the ONT inside as well, a little white box on the wall.
OR guys told me all I need is a fibre router and to just plug it in and away I go. No further visit from OR needed.
I've noticed some ISPs don't give you a router you have to supply it yourself.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 01:16:09 AM »

They fitted an ONT BEFORE you ordered the service from an ISP?  Never heard of that happening before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3