Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Line 3 Upstream (Again)  (Read 9930 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Line 3 Upstream (Again)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »

Sorry, I meant per line per month for that figure.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »

. . . it also means all the unnecessary work of running a third drop cable out from the poles.

If I am remembering correctly, the high-level (upper) pole has been given a D warning label. So no climbing.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 06:09:40 PM »

So around £120 to £160 per month. If Starlink turns out to be even half as good as they are saying it looks like that would dive you a huge uplift in speeds for about two thirds the cost. And I bet it would be a lot more reliable.

https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/132246/what-is-starlink-spacexs-much-hyped-satellite-internet-service-explained
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:12:21 PM by jelv »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 08:34:10 AM »

So around £120 to £160 per month. If Starlink turns out to be even half as good as they are saying it looks like that would dive you a huge uplift in speeds for about two thirds the cost. And I bet it would be a lot more reliable.

https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/132246/what-is-starlink-spacexs-much-hyped-satellite-internet-service-explained

I'm surprised that @Weaver hasn't looked at a satellite options before - eg http://www.northsat.co.uk/. The main downside is of course the massive latency, but If you're not gaming that may not be an issue.
Interestingly I also found this article - https://uk.pcmag.com/switches/128545/spacexs-satellite-internet-service-latency-comes-in-under-20-milliseconds - for Starlink which claims latency is only 20ms. I would take this with a large pinch of salt!
 :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 08:39:16 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »

The only problem I see with using Satellite broadband is weather, rain/wind  :(
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »

Interestingly I also found this article - https://uk.pcmag.com/switches/128545/spacexs-satellite-internet-service-latency-comes-in-under-20-milliseconds - for Starlink which claims latency is only 20ms. I would take this with a large pinch of salt!

If you had read the article I linked you'd know this was a fact, not a claim.

All satellites up until now have been orbiting at a height of around 20,000 miles. Receiver to satellite, and back to ground station, then back again with the reply is 4x20,000 miles which at the speed of light takes 430 milliseconds before you take anything else in to account. Starlink are low earth orbit satellites at a height of around 300 miles (that's why they need so many to provide continuous service as each one quickly disappears over the horizon), which adds 6ms.

It wouldn't surprise me if for Weaver the latency on Starlink was better than he gets now.

Finally, if you'd read the article, you'd have seen this:

Can You Game on Starlink?

Yes, on YouTube, you can find numerous videos of Starlink users playing games such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on the service. There may be some lag, especially as your connection hops from one Starlink satellite to another, but users report the experience is playable.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 11:15:20 AM »

The only problem I see with using Satellite broadband is weather, rain/wind  :(

Unlike the issues Weaver has with his current 'service'?

I hate too think how many hours of his life Weaver spends nursing his setup, contacting AAISP, dealing with engineers.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 12:25:30 PM »

@Parkdale When I used a dish to watch Freesat the only time there was a problem was during a very heavy snow shower. I don't think rain or wind would be problem.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »

I was looking at the pictures of the reception/transmission dish they will be supplying, seems small.. bigger dishes are better, my Freesat dish is 2x the (normal) size required for signal down here on the south coast.

With the amount of call outs Weavers had, hopefully OR will start to think about Fibre delivery :fingers:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:14:00 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »

My only concerns, if a Starlink service was used at "The Weaving Shed", are the extremely high winds experienced at certain times of the year and the random atmospheric lightning discharges which are rather prone to occur over the Isle of Skye.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »

If you had read the article I linked you'd know this was a fact, not a claim.

I clearly didn't read down far enough - sorry.  :-[
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 05:23:00 PM »

Weaver is in the very strange situation of having a /26 of public IP address space which would almost certainly be lost moving to a new ISP. If they have to fill out a RIPE form to justify it it'll go nowhere.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:30 AM »

If I remember correctly things started all going very wrong at the start of last year. OR is bringing a cherry picker to ascend the pole(s) that are marked ‘no climb’. It’s coming all the way from Fort William next Tuesday or Wednesday. An Engineer popped in briefly to tell my wife this and make some measurements.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 12:00:13 AM »

> may decline to accept the order.

Indeed, I had thought just that. And it also means all the unnecessary work of running a third drop cable out from the poles.

I’m getting packet loss now with this line (line 3). This is not good at all, so have informed AA. See:

In the snapshot above, the line status is red (down) currently because I had just forced a resync, in order to try and restore stability, and the link had not come back up yet.

It seems that all the problems are to do with data corruption in the upstream path of line 3; the following is downstream | upstream, note the ES counts for the period since the link came up:

Since Link time = 2 hours 3 min 55 sec
FEC:      304      35673
CRC:      19      2184
ES:      10      481
SES:      0      36
UAS:      0      0
LOS:      0      0
LOF:      0      0
LOM:      0      0

Is ~233 ES per hour very bad news ? Seems to me that it is not good. Both downstream and upstream are set to a 6dB target SNRM. The presence of PhyR L2retx is presumably keeping the uncorrected error counts so very low compared to the upstream.

To me the SES is what stands out.

In my experience of years and years on DSL, My rule of thumb is ES on their own are not usually service affecting (unless they trigger DLM), but SES usually are, and yep you have SES on that upstream.

If you was getting a steady flow of ES but each ES was maybe just 1 or 2 CRC, you probably would have no red on your graph and wouldnt notice it, but looks like its coming in large bursts.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 10:13:56 AM »

You seem to pay a huge amount of money for a quite unreliable service, you seem to have quite frequent problems. Is it time to switch?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5