Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Line 3 Upstream (Again)  (Read 9938 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Line 3 Upstream (Again)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »

You seem to pay a huge amount of money for a quite unreliable service, you seem to have quite frequent problems. Is it time to switch?
The issue is that @Weaver has few options for switching. Unless he moves to a 4G or satellite service then AAISP are one of few who will offer to bond multiple lines, and this is the only way he can get a remotely usable service.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »

Just find it odd they spend so much time ramping for AAISP here when it seems pretty obvious they don't offer a particularly good service.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 02:50:11 PM »

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick about AAISP, they are providing Weaver with the best possible service in the circumstances. His phone lines are many miles long with only ADSL2+ available so they are bonding 4 lines to get about 10Mbps or so downstream. No other ISP would be prepared to go to the trouble for one customer and deal with the many support calls when the lines have faults. That is why Weaver and others praise A&A so highly. :)

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »

Sadly even mobile phone service is patchy as well in his area :( so there no good options left.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 04:20:09 PM »

Just find it odd they spend so much time ramping for AAISP here when it seems pretty obvious they don't offer a particularly good service.

If you look at this you'll get an idea of how remote they are with his lines coming across miles of open moorland. Predicted ADSL speed is range 1Mbps to 3Mbps and he's miles from a cabinet so no FTTC.

The truth is that it's OpenReach that is not providing a very good service. AAISP have been amazing for him, accepting all faults and getting OR to work on them. I suspect most other ISPs would have left him with a far worse service and told him that's as good as it gets - accept it.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 05:22:48 PM »

3% can get FTTC according to this: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=599232&postcodeloc=10782&cabinet=P10

Why does that look like a Street cabinet outside the exchange.
75% can get less than 2 Mbps as they are on exchange 8.

The other 22% must be sheep  :lol:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »

Weaver is in the very strange situation of having a /26 of public IP address space which would almost certainly be lost moving to a new ISP. If they have to fill out a RIPE form to justify it it'll go nowhere.

Presumably Weaver would still be able to use https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/ and thus retain his IP addresses.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »

Seems like a lot of money to pay for an unreliable service. If AAISP are good as they are supposed to be, they should surely have already resolved all of these issues.

Just think it’s expensive for not much gain.

Anyway, sorry for polluting the thread.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2021, 10:53:10 PM »

What Jelv said.

The problem is that Openreach are useless and there’s a limit to the amount of control AA has over the situation. Every time a fault has arisen, AA has resolved it very quickly. From my point of view, the service (meaning internet access) has always been 100% reliable because if a line becomes faulty, it doesn’t affect the reliability of the overall service at all, in the sense that the overall service never goes down, there is just a drop in speed. If one line becomes extremely sickly I can just knock it out of the bonded set. Even if all four lines were to go down, the router would just switch over to 3G. So the reliability is outstanding and that’s what really matters to me.

Also, apologies for stating the obvious, I have four lines, so I’m likely to have roughly four times as many faults per unit time.

It seems as if something different is possibly happening this time, because OR sent out an engineer who just made some initial measurements and told Janet that a cherry picker was coming, but didn’t fix anything, and didn’t tell Janet where or what the fault was. I don’t know if they had located the fault very quickly that day last week and had found that there was a problem in the drop cable(s) or their joints, or whether they had just decided to replace the drop cable(s) in order to ensure there are no more callouts? (Touch wood; complete guess)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »

Two Openreach vehicles have turned up, one normal OR van on the road and a cherry-picker at the house by the pole.

Janet saw one of the two men unwrapping new drop cables from a packet. She went to talk to the OR man and he said that OR doesn’t use twin-pair drop cables any more, so they’re putting in two new drop cables to replace the one that was (line 1+line 3). Drilling an additional hole just now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:18:25 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »

Since they have replaced cables, the results look excellent, although it’s rather early still. Line 3 looks clean and has 1 ES downstream and 2 downstream CRC errors since it came up following the repair, which is over a period of 2 and a half hours ago. The errors were close to the link-up event, as best I can make out.

Line 1 is looking good after the replacement, although its downstream speed seems a bit slow which could be to do with my messing around with settings in clueless. (I was getting so many link down/up messages from Andrews & Arnold’s CQM that I tried as an experiment to change a clueless per-line setting to "extra stable" or "super stable" and I think I got mixed up between line 3 and line 1, looking at the wrong page; anyway, this may have changed the speed and I have now initiated a reset command to force it back to normal, although this takes some time to take effect.) I am now using 6dB downstream SNRM for all links.

So an excellent result, fingers crossed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »

. . . went to talk to the OR man and he said that OR doesn’t use twin-pair drop cables any more, so they’re putting in two new drop cables to replace the one that was (line 1+line 3).

Interesting. I guess that they didn't have any of the twin-pair drop cable left in the local store and what there is, nationally, will be used up as and when.

As for the faults you have experienced, ever since that nearby lightening ground-strike (in early 2020 ?) which took out some multi-pair cables from NSBRD, near the road junction to Heasta at Harrapul, I have had a little niggling suspicion regarding the integrity of the pairs that supply "The Weaving Shed". Time will tell.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »

Unfortunately the good news did not last. The upstream has dropped to 61k [!] There have been several link-down periods tonight and periods of packet-loss. I have given AA the bad news. If this line is going to prove too much of a nuisance for AA and make life a misery for them, then I will just cease the line.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »

Unfortunately the good news did not last. The upstream has dropped to 61k [!]

:o  :(  :wall:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »

Its giving me memories of my ADSL line here, it was around 4km even though I am in a city and had all sorts of issues, the only thing that made the line stable was SRA, which only one isp in the entire country ever had SRA working properly. :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5