Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2700 HGV killed by lightning!  (Read 2791 times)

cancunia

2700 HGV killed by lightning!
« on: May 19, 2021, 05:47:06 PM »

My 2700 HGV has stopped working on the ADSL since a big bolt of lightning this afternoon. The WiFi & Ethernet are fine but it does not see the ADSL so I'm wondering if something inside has blown? Next door's ADSL went off, but both BT & Plusnet lines came back.
MY ADSL is still working, I'm using it to post this on a spare router.
I've tried a factory reset but no luck. I'm wondering if re-flashing the firmware might help but am thinking that maybe it's some kind of fuse inside.

Seems a shame to throw the 2700 HGV away so I'm hoping that someone has an idea of how to save it?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: 2700 HGV killed by lightning!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 08:28:21 PM »

It has probably cooked the front end. I doubt that there’s the slightest chance of saving it. Real shame though.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:46 PM »

If you were to open it up (its quite easy once you have spotted the clips located in the side ventilation slots), you will find that the analogue front-end has been pyrolysed . . . as there are no internal fuses.

A few years ago, I could have given you a replacement but I no longer have any 2Wire equipment stored in "The Grotto".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 01:40:43 AM »

A few years ago, I could have given you a replacement but I no longer have any 2Wire equipment stored in "The Grotto".

Same here, threw mine out several years back figuring there are so many newer replacements now.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cancunia

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 07:36:10 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I guessed as much but thought I'd ask as it would be good if I can save it, the 2700HGV is by far the best router I've had on my long line ADSL. I'll do some more work on it before it goes for recycling, I'm still on the hunt for the elusive 'debug' mode.
Luckily I bought 2 spares and am using the 2700HGV I flashed with QWEST firmware, can't say I've noticed any difference in the WiFi power and some devices stop talking to it after a couple of days so I'll have to use my other spare before too long.

The odd thing is that next door has 2 ADSL lines, both went off at the same time yesterday but both survived. I know the setup well as I've helped configure them, one is a BT HH6 and the other a cheap entry level Plusnet. Our lines come from the same pole and all 3 have the new ADSL faceplate.

cancunia

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »

I took the cover off & the pcb out, no signs of damage but despite a full reset & reflash of firmware still no joy on the ADSL. I even tried to see if it would work by jumpering the inner & outer pairs on the ADSL connection.

I've swapped from the QWEST to my new & unused 2700 box as the WiFi problems came back. I bought the QWEST box used without a PSU and now wonder if it's in some way faulty, I'll try the BT version 6x firmware at some point. I'll keep a lookout for another new 2700 HGV, they can normally be had for about £5.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »

Same here, threw mine out several years back

Yet another me too.    Mine had hardly been used as although they work fantastically on long adsl lines, they are no good for short lines where the old ST585 v6 were the far better modem and gave me about 6Mbps more plus Annex_M.   It sat in my cupboard for a good 10yrs doing nothing until I had a turf out.   How annoying, as you could have had it with pleasure. :(   Hope that you can fine one.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 06:34:09 AM »

I had three (two different versions) at one time, and they worked superbly on my ~3.5 km ADSL line, but they've long ago been cleared out unfortunately.
  Eric

cancunia

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 07:41:11 AM »

Fortunately, there are quite a few for sale on eBay & I'd already bought some backups so all is not lost, just a shame to see the box broken. I'm currently using my 'test' 2700 which I bought without a PSU with the intention of trying to get the debug mode active. No joy with debug mode, so I flashed it with QWEST firmware which gave some problems with WiFi on both of my Sonoff switches (ESP8266 based) & my RPi  but my work & personal laptops were fine. I've now moved it on to the BT 6.1.1.22 firmware which is working fine so far and from what I can see from a port scan does not have the remote management back door.
In case anyone else reads this with a view to using the 2700HGV, my advice is don't be tempted to try any V6.x firmware, the V5 which is essentially re-badged 2-Wire firmware is much better.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »

For the majority of the time I used the Netgear DG834 on my 2.5km line as it allowed stats and bridge mode.

I assume the Zyxel units many on here love for VDSL also work well on long ADSL lines, seeing as Weaver swears by them on his insanely long lines.  I really wouldn't be wanting to use ancient 802.11g WiFi these days, even IoT devices support 802.11n.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything