Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre roll out  (Read 1338 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Fibre roll out
« on: March 23, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »

I know this is a virtually impossible question, but my large village is being having fibre laid all over ( light source - Openreach) One of my colleagues has a draw string now by his front door, although not down my street. We live in an area announced last summer for a rollout and the link previously posted shows WIP.

So any clues when this might get to “ordering” status. DSL checker still says not available.

I’m in FY6.

Thanks

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Fibre roll out
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »

PM me with your full postcode, Tony. Should be able to help.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 10:13:43 PM »

PM sent
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

antsly

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 12:49:17 PM »

PM me with your full postcode, Tony. Should be able to help.

Can I be really cheeky and ask if I can PM you my full post code too? I'm itching to get FTTP and OR previously said it would be available by the end of May but no progress so far  :P

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »

Course you can. If I can assist, I will.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:29:40 PM »

Hi antsly

From what I see mate, you're probably not going to get it before the end of May .... that is my educated guess.

I'm not sure if you are aware of how FFTP builds tend to take shape in an Exchange area, assuming you don't I'll try and explain ?. This is just a guide, there are always grey area's and exceptions to the rule.

The Exchange area is divided up into PON's (areas) of 120THP (customers) maximum, per PON. This is done by our off-shore partners and is what we call a 'Ghost plan' .... ie: a blueprint. Once funding has been secured for that Exchange area, the survey tasks are created for each PON. A survey task is where an Openreach survey officer will physically 'walk the node' to see if tweaks can be made to the ghost plan.

The 'order of service' for these physical surveys, will usually take the form of working from the Exchange outwards following the spine cable (this is the larger fibre cable that individual PON's will connect to). There could be any number of spine cables per Exchange. 

Once the survey results are returned, it then takes approx another 10 weeks to perform the other stuff, (planning, civils noticing, civils work, cabling, splicing, test and commission). Even after that, there is a dwell time before the PON goes CRFS (customer ready for service). As mooted earlier, this is merely a guide and times can and do alter depending on various circumstances. Every PON is bespoke.

Now armed with that info, I can see that a large number of PON's in the local area have already had their physical surveys completed and would imagine are at various stages of the other stuff I mentioned above.
There are a chunk of PON's that haven't have their surveys done yet, and that post-code you supplied me is indeed in one of those PON's. It looks to me by the way these remaining PON's lie, that they are potentially on the same spine cable ??.
So .... in a nutshell .... it looks like your PON's survey is imminent and the 'circa 10-week+ process' can begin.

HTH.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:32:04 PM by Black Sheep »

antsly

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 10:21:53 AM »

Thanks for the thorough explanation and for taking a look in the first place 😀👍 dissapointed that I won't be getting it too soon but it sounds like things are progressing!

Cheers

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 11:42:39 AM »

Interesting topic... we've had Kelly Communications all over our streets and now have loads of markings on pavement and by poles. There's also a lot of OR activity around here over the next 2 weeks.

Be interested to see if there's a timescale for me also - can I drop you a PM?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »

Yeah, of course you can.

I don't have access to time-scales though, only a rough idea of whereabouts in the process your PON build is.

As mooted before, this is only a guide as to approximately when FTTP will be available in your area.  :)

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »

PM sent :)

anything