Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Frequent high latency with Sky  (Read 547 times)

SEBUK

• Just arrived
Frequent high latency with Sky
« on: April 07, 2021, 07:59:23 PM »

Hi all,

Hope someone here can give advice. I've spoken to sky a few times, and they always say my connection is fine.

For approximately two weeks now, I have been really struggling with online gaming and streaming, with a lot of buffering and seemingly packet loss when I watch stream replays. Also, trying to do zoom/teams calls during the day is becoming a nightmare, especially since I work from home.

I stream from a wired Xbox One S. I tend to stream from about 10pm onwards. My son often has issues playing online games on his nintendo switch with lag, even if he is sitting in the same room. I know wifi can have issues sometimes, but this is seen even when wired.

My setup:

Openreach Master socket 5c with microfilter (I think it's called?) supplied by Sky, plugged into socket. Cable running from Master socket to Sky Q router ( Model ER110 Firmware Version 2.22.2883.R). This cable is approximately 2.5m long. Nothing else plugged in, we don't use landline phone.

Sky Q box and Xbox one S both wired into router. There is a what I think is a Sky Q wireless range extender near our stairs to help signal go upstairs where we have a Sky mini in the one bedroom.

House is a new buld built in 2018. We were with BT for 18 months after moving in, then switched to Sky a year ago. Only FTTC available in our area, and we're apparently on our max connection speed we'll ever get of 29999 Kbps. I felt, even though using the same infrastructure, Sky was getting a better connection speed than BT, who were giving us about 25000 Kbps.

Problem:

Frequent high latency pings seems to be causing a lot of buffering when gaming. Also during these latency periods, doing a speedtest on speedtest.net would tell me my download speed is about 2Mbps. Non high latency periods would give me about 20Mbps through wifi.

I started monitoring the line yesterday at about 15:30, with thinkbroadband, and here is the shared link for the live graph:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/14b0f3ac30db1cb7ffbbc1800fc2f2dca1197a46

Here are my router stats attached if that's of any help.

So despite this, I have a steady connection speed. Everytime I've rung Sky about slow broadband, I've been told my connection is fine. Which I can see. I even ran a program called Routerstats Lite for about 18 hours, and only showed a few disconnection/connection speed drops (About 4 times)

I will frequently have to reboot the router before a Teams meeting, or if I'm streaming at night, so if anyone has any suggestions, please help.

I also recently found out my town is on the list to have Fibre rolled out by CityFibre, I wish I knew when that would happen so I could get some decent internet for a change.

anything