Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goodness indicator from modems’ stats  (Read 2727 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Goodness indicator from modems’ stats
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 02:51:49 AM »

Currently I have only four collection buckets for ES, and none for SES; the first two counts are (i) for zero ES in the most recent 15 mins (max) bucket, and (ii) the preceding 15 mins bucket then (iii) ES below a certain threshold, finally (iv) ES above that threshold in those buckets. So, to summarise: error categories: (a) zero errors, (b) mild errors and (c)more serious error counts. But currently I don’t take into account long-term event counts that are no longer relevant, because I don’t want to include error bursts that are very old news or error bursts that are related only to link-up or link-down events. The problem with that approach is that it doesn’t take into account repeating problem bursts which might be old news now but whose causes will return to create further trouble later on. Separate from that I report deviant SNRM values.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 11:43:37 PM »

Sorry you totally lost me with what you were trying to do. Brain fog as I try to read it...  which I've done no less than a dozen times :(

Yes SES contain at least 1 ES....  in the same way that ES will contain coding violations - CRC or a LOS.
Do you need to add them, why not treat them separately.   

Whilst I understand what Chrys is saying in that SES stand out.   But there are many a time when E/S become service affecting on my line without recording any SES.    In fact before I set up DSLstat alarms, I would realise something was wrong with my line just through general browsing and how long it takes for pages to load.   Even now if Im seeing patches of slow and unresponsive websites I still automatically go check to make sure I'm not getting ES and my line is stuck generating hundreds of Err Secs.     Ironically just this morning I was experiencing one of those patchy times when surfing became slow.   I looked at Err Sec and hardly had any so I was puzzled...   then I saw I was flatlining 300,000 FEC's per min.   It's probably higher because 300,000 is the max DSLstats will graph at.    I rebooted my modem and all was well again.   This line does do well on g.inp - it performs even worse when I get the high stuck error problem  - everything backs up datawise and surfing can practically grind to a halt.  Yet it doesnt cause a single SES.     So im my experience, its the amount of errors per min that matters.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 02:12:19 PM »

> But there are many a time when E/S become service affecting on my line without recording any SES.    In fact before I set up DSLstat alarms, I would realise something was wrong with my line just through general browsing and how long it takes for pages to load.   

That’s good to know. That was my feeling too.

Apologies for the brain fog, not a prize for great writing. :) I was just trying to isolate the higher ES rate problems from the very mild problems per line, then broken down according to how recent the ES were - in most recent up-to-15 mins (`bucket’) period or the 15 min period preceding that.

Here’s an example of the output:
Code: [Select]

*** Summary of DSL links’ wellbeing and error counts ***
============================================================

-----------------------------------------------------
  *** There is some BADNESS; all is not well !  : -(  ***
-----------------------------------------------------

* Modems with severe error problems:  ≥ 60 ES / hr:  None

--
* Modems with SNRM too low/high:  None
(Assuming an expected target SNRM of 6 dB downstream, 6.5 dB upstream)

--
* Modems with a few errors:
modem: 1 downstream, ES per hr: 8, Previous 15 minutes time
modem: 1 upstream,      ES per hr: 16, Previous 15 minutes time

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 03:47:39 PM »

Sounds good...  this is what I currently do for my alerts.

Whilst its ES that I'm really interested in and not bothered too much about individual CRCs..... on my own line I've tended to find that if my modem has a large spike of CRCs per min, then that is the type of "badness" to trigger the type of ES I need to know about immediately.  If I have 2 consecutive alarm emails then I know for sure something has gone wrong.    These alert emails go to my phone and I can also reboot the modem remotely if I'm out.

If I was monitoring it by ES per 15min...  then I could have gone too far into that time slot to be able 'rescue' the line from the effects of DLM. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 03:52:28 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »

Wow, that’s really sophisticated. I didn’t know about the capabilities of that application, but then I don’t have a windows box any more - only iPads and a Raspberry Pi.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 10:27:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure DSL stats works on RPi the same way.   
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »

When it comes to alarms, I don't think there's a strict same criteria for what is good or what is bad for all lines, and it's more about knowing what is normal for your own line.   

SNRM swing is the main parameter that will vary from line to line, but when it comes to error alerts, I had to think how would be best to advise me asap that my line had entered into one of its phases of oscillating errors.       By the time I got a warning about x ES in a 15 min period it would often be too late to salvage the line.   I wasn't interested in just the odd ES neither.   So for me it was looking at the type of CRCs that caused the ES, and then realising that if the CRCs constantly went above the 200 per min, then those type of errors needed intervention to stop DLM noticing before I'd had a chance to do something about it first.     
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 11:37:39 PM »

Good to know about the Pi. I don’t have a display or keyboard connected to mine, it’s telnet-only. And I have four modems. That’s why our own Johnson’s firmware for the ZyXEL modems is so helpful to me; only need a web browser. I’ve written a lot of tools in iOS Shortcuts for the iPad which make use of Johnson protocol and this latest one, an overall state summary report, is just the latest.

If you had to put an ES per hour figure into one of several categories, say, approximately

1. no errors, zero
2. low error count that is non-zero
3. problem error count, and maybe also
4. severe problem error count

what might those numbers be for your line, and how many /which of those categories do you think might be useful? Probably too many?
Pages: 1 [2]