Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP deployment types in rural areas  (Read 1514 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
FTTP deployment types in rural areas
« on: March 20, 2021, 08:36:30 PM »

I was wondering about FTTP, again. In towns and villages where there are pavements and existing BT infrastructure BT can use either new or existing ducts to reach houses.

In a deep rural area, where there are no ducts, would BT install ducts for FTTP or would poles be used? (Possibly additional ones?)

On poles, what is used to withstand the strain on the cable and protect the fibre from being stretched?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP deployment types in rural areas
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 12:03:02 AM »

It really depends upon the particular situation. Poles, ducts or (eek!) directly buried.

Aerial fibre cables can have strengthening members as part of the outer jacket. I believe Kevlar or aramid fibres are often used. Or there can be a multi-stranded steel catenary cable, giving a figure of eight cross-section profile.

Ah, a quick search has turned up an "Aerial Fiber (sic) Optic Cables" tutorial which might help . . . 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 01:08:48 AM »

As for aerial cables, I wondered if there might be an auxiliary steel support wire.

I can’t see OR being able to install ducts here where there is either very soft ground but up hill down dale, or bare rock, and if there is any soil it is often very thin in some places. Perhaps they could cut a channel into rock though and drop a duct into that, but the undulating landscape would frustrate the installation of ducts.

Has anyone who is out in the wilds had FTTP?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 02:50:44 AM »

I honestly see no reason why if overhead is good enough for copper, they wouldn't take fibre the same route.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »

As AA points out - our remit is to try as best we can, to follow the existing copper footprint.

Of course, there are always 'other factors' that play a part in this, but on the whole - if it goes overhead on copper it will go overhead with FTTP. Of course, we also have armoured fibre cable (no duct needed), which is also utilised.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 07:07:18 PM »

Ah, armoured fibre cable! Of course, so that can be used where there are no ducts and in an undulating landscape. I had forgotten such a possibility.

I’m wondering if sometimes topology changes are needed when FTTP is installed? I can’t see why, off-hand, but I would need to think about it some more.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:17:26 PM »

Last week we were talking to some friends that live a few miles outside our village, I was talking to them about the role of fibre hanging off the only pole near there house, they have been trying to find out why they can not order FTTP yet as our village has been 'Lit' up for some weeks.
Going out yesterday it became clear why, BT are putting lots and lots of (ugly) poles along the main road to carry the fibre to them.
I should imagine the there copper cable is buried in the ground.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 04:35:33 AM »

I imagine for some people that's preferable to completely re-landscaping their gardens.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »

There's absolutely no need to completely re-landscape gardens. Our estate is having the gas mains replaced, including up to the house's. To look you wouldn't know apart from fresh cement or concrete patches.

They use a mole to go under the majority, so most need only one hole where the gas pipe joins to the metal pipe that goes under the house. No reason why they could not use the same process for telecoms, it'd be better than what Virgin Media do.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 10:11:08 AM »

The decision to erect poles isn't made based on aesthetics to gardens .... it will be made based on cost, council permits (Section 58), TM, disruption ..... every situation is bespoke.

We have to give a 28-day notice informing of our intent to erect a pole (via a stake in the ground with the notice attached), and folk can, and do, contest it sometimes. I absolutely understand the aesthetics side though, as do our survey officers. They have to play the hand they're dealt with though, and if it is subsequently decided by the locals that the pole/s are unwanted, then a 2nd look at a possible re-plan may occur, but this doesn't usually yield other options.

We don't use the 'moles' for garden work atm, but may in time ?? But, the PTD form does state that the contractor will reinstate to the same standard found, or better. In this day and age of camera phones, there is always a 'before & after' proof of work.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »

We don't use the 'moles' for garden work atm, but may in time ?? But, the PTD form does state that the contractor will reinstate to the same standard found, or better. In this day and age of camera phones, there is always a 'before & after' proof of work.

I'm surprised they don't use moles, when they replaced our gas pipe they moled under the road to a hole in our garden, then around to the back of the house through a series of holes for each turn. Certainly a lot quicker than digging up the road, footpath and our path, and digging a trench all the way around the house. Not something they'd want to drag round to every job, but where jobs are surveyed and they know in advance they'd need one it would be very useful, quicker and less disruptive.

Mind you they can be a bit hit and miss, in theory the mole goes dead straight, until it hits something which knocks it off course, at one point the mole emerged from our lawn (I use the word 'lawn' loosely) halfway to the next hole.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 01:57:07 PM »

We do use moles, just not as the norm, Ron

Having never used one I am only slightly aware of their capability, and know you have to have inspection pits dug every so often ?? Again, considering the size of the task at hand, I'm guessing it isn't cost effective to use them ??

Believe me, there will be a bean-counter somewhere that will have looked at this ... I promise you of that.  ;)