Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC Cabinets ?  (Read 3045 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
FTTC Cabinets ?
« on: March 20, 2021, 05:40:00 PM »

Hello Kitizens work has been going on close to the Huawei 288 FTTC cabinet that serves our 40/10 broadband service which is approximately 1 kilometre away from this house so I don’t for see any extra benefits from whatever they a are doing’

Just was kind of curious what it could be or might be my first thought a second   
FTTC cabinet would be installed but unsure now,  Have uploaded a picture of the crime scene any comments most welcome.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTC Cabinets ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 06:06:33 PM »

That is a twin lidded JF6 (Joint Footway No 6) over a cable jointing chamber. As for its intended purpose, your guess will be as good as mine.  :)  Perhaps it has been built as part of the process towards full fibre deployment?

I know exactly where that chamber is located but I will leave it up to you as to whether you decide to disclose the serving telephony exchange, the head-end exchange and the cabinet number. Perhaps Black Sheep might be able to make a few checks . . .  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 06:39:09 PM »

I absolutely don't mind having a look-see .... but I would need far more info than a random picture.  ;)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »

The only other info I can give you burakkucat and Blacksheep is cable as been run from that new chamber as you call it all the way down to the NIHB Helensbay exchange and beyond though nothing going on in crawfordsburn which is where I live.

Headend exchange Bangor Northern Ireland Cabinet Number 1
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:10:31 PM by NewtronStar »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »

Could they have been running fresh fibre?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 11:02:43 PM »

I would say quite likely, the whole of the area is currently in build - see attached, map can be found here https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first select any area and then just move the map to your area.

Also take a look here https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#12/54.6476/-5.5847/geafttp/ there's probably a lot more live than indicated as the map lags well behind what's live.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 11:05:29 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 12:21:54 AM »

So you think it could be FTTP going on here ? The issue with that is NGA node if that is what the image shows it's 1KM from me and will cost a fortune.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 12:26:22 AM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »

It's what it costs per premises passed that matters, if you're in a village with poles then it's a lower cost, single house in the middle of nowhere then extremely expensive.

Your whole area is shown as in build, but that does not mean every house will get it, if your in the village then eventually you will be covered I would think, and if fed overhead that increases your chances. Keep an eye out for other works, ropes appearing at bases of poles, equipment on poles, surveying work etc.

All of my area (Ramsgate & Broadstairs) is currently being rolled out, but my estate is underground with the final run to houses direct in ground, so being left until last, and then depends how much money is left in the pot for our area.

Edited for spelling :-)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:27:11 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 02:07:51 PM »

That Cab is actually fed from Helens Bay Exchange, I sort of read it as Bangor originally.

I can't see any actual DSLAM expansion activity going on, as it tends to run around 80% capacity, constantly. So, all-in-all a good guess at new spine cables going in, especially if they are cabling all the way back to the Exchange.  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 04:58:58 PM »

Many thanks for checking out the Exchange Blacksheep I never really could find out which exchange has the fiber optics going to my FTTC cabinet and for definite the PCP cabinet is connected to Helens bay exchange.

Thankyou Ronski good to see all you great guys are still around helping out, now that it looks like FTTP will be watching out for those signs you mentioned it'll be a slow process I guess but a wee bit of hope for the future yet 40Mbits is ok but not when you need to download 100GBytes in one go.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 06:52:12 PM »

That Cab is actually fed from Helens Bay Exchange, I sort of read it as Bangor originally.

That is interesting to know. I think we (that is N*Star and b*cat) had decided upon Bangor being the head-end exchange some years ago. Thank you for the correction.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »

@NewtronStar:
As a fellow N.I. resident all be it in the N.W. of the province, I was of the same opinion as yourself with regard to the likelihood of FTTP availability in my small semi-rural private housing development of some 45 years vintage with UG POT's distribution, cabling being DIG from footway chamber to house, however, last month, OR's sub-contractors, KN Circet and their sub-contractors arrived and promptly ducted the complete footwalk area pulling in the fibre and terminating shortly afterwards, all completed within 2 weeks.
The fibre distribution node chamber is right outside my front garden wall but will still have to overcome the fibre to house run without any existing ducting when I decide to order FTTP service.

My complete town area as far as I can see is virtually fully fibred for OH distribution, have yet to observe a telegraph pole in my travels that does not have a fibre distribution point fitted.
OR (sub-contractors) are quite quickly working through the areas where UG distribution exists.
FTTP may not be as far away as you think  :fingers:

Regarding the head-end exchange.
My POTS exchange is NILDW.
The major town exchange is NILDM which I assumed would be the fibre head-end exchange.
However, the day the KN Circet tech's were terminating the fibre in my distribution chamber and I had a chat, they advised the tech. at the other end of the connection checking out the terminations was located at NIBRH exchange, a very minor area exchange many miles away completely at the other side of town?

Edit: My area has Virgin cable availability, way back to the NTL days, I have never taken that option, don't like Virgin, wonder if that is a factor regarding OR's decision to fibre out the area?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 08:35:13 PM by tiffy »
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 11:55:06 PM »

Tiffy if I had the opportunity to move to virgin media docsis 3.1 or 4.0 would do it straight away but VM don't like areas were its unprofitable they like heavily populated places I can guarantee VM will never be available in our location kind of sad but understandable as its all down to profit at the end of the day.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »

Yes, ironically although VM cable has been available at my address for many years and I regularly receive attractive offers to migrate, just don't like Virgin, no logical reason that I can explain really!

I have just moved from Plusnet to Zen FTTP service on a one year contract last December, have requested a price quote from Zen by e-mail to migrate from FTTC to FTTP over a month ago but disappointingly have never received any response to date, will probably wait until near end of contract and consider my ISP options for FTTP service.

Of course, very glad that I now have the FTTP option available at my address.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »

That is interesting to know. I think we (that is N*Star and b*cat) had decided upon Bangor being the head-end exchange some years ago. Thank you for the correction.  :)

Sorry B*Cat ... there's been a misunderstanding in the communication.

The HE is indeed Bangor, I thought NS was inferring the feed for the Cab went direct to Bangor, as opposed to through Helens Bay first.
Pages: [1] 2

anything