Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Request for general advice on speed to property  (Read 5479 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Request for general advice on speed to property
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »

I had a good look around and Cab 15 is surrounded by FTTC cab's :( ???
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

NoEsquire

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 06:51:13 AM »

We are on Cab15, yep.

If I put my postcode into Virgin's checker, it sends me down the path of putting in my personal details as they aren't sure what we can get. On submitting the form it says that they will get in touch within 10 working days, but never ever do.

I got a reply back from our OpenReaech 'Rural Engagement Officer' (lol) who says that their Communited Leads Portal process is only for getting fibre to the property and not to the cabinet. She suggested getting in touch with our local authority, which sounds suspiciously like passing the buck. She said copper is being replaced 'within 4-5 years'.

A&A have also said that there's not really anything they can do to expediate fibre to cab15 but that they do offer a 'fix my line' service to new customers to try and improve the ADSL connection.

It's just so infuriating - it's like I can't get anybody to listen to my concerns. I know I am just one poor sod who doesn't deserve special treatment but the advice from OfCom literally says "Every home and business in the UK has the legal right to request a decent, affordable broadband connection", but that is just hot air because there's seemingly no route for me to inact that request. OR say do the Community Portal but then quote £14,000 for FTTP. I think any voucher schemes for this are also about to expire anyway.

It's just bonkers to me that in 2021 I have to connect our house over 4g - we have to work and school from home for goodness sake! I've contacted my MP but am starting to consider further campaigning to central government; this country is way behind.

NoEsquire

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 06:53:58 AM »

Oh also, are there any good resources to actually see the map of cabinets? I know we are on cabinet 15 but there's actually a couple of candidates for which one that could actually be walking around my neighbourhood.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 07:51:48 AM »

Oh also, are there any good resources to actually see the map of cabinets? I know we are on cabinet 15 but there's actually a couple of candidates for which one that could actually be walking around my neighbourhood.
Codelook - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm - is the only one I know but the cabinet locations can sometimes be a bit off.
Put in your phone number and then 'Lookup Number'. Then select your locality and it should give a link to the cabinets.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 08:28:41 AM »

With regards to Virgin do you live in a house or flat?

Flats can be complicated to install Virgin to and any other telecoms as well, as they need permission from the building owners, these are called Wayleaves.

If in a house check what it says for immediate neighbours.

Do you have a Toby in the pavement out side? A Toby is the connection point for VM, nowadays it's a plastic cover with Virgin Media on it, but could have something else on it depending on when it was installed.

If you have a Toby outside it would be worth phoning VM.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

NoEsquire

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 04:43:37 PM »

We live in a house but no sign of a 'Toby' outside our house (or anywhere on our street). I can't currently use Virgin's postcode checker as it appears their website is having some issues (infinite loop JavaScript errors in the console) - but will persist.

I spoke with a TalkTalk support agent for an hour today. He tried to run some 'Direct Line Management' tests but to no avail - we're still stuck at 2.5mb/s down. What is extraordinarily frustrating is in my TalkTalk account area they have a big box that says they observed 12mbps to our router yesterday, which is just patently not true. I might set up some kind of local monitoring server to track download speeds at intermitent time intervals just to call them out. The support agent's advice was ultimately to just wait because 'speeds can take 10-14 days to ramp up' - which again is BS. So I think I'll have to trigger a cancellation at which point TT will have 30 days to salvage the contract or cut us. This house is just not connectable to the internet in 2021.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »

A Toby, It's not unknown for pavements to be completely covered over by "Tarmac Gangs" so you might not see it at all  :fingers:, I used to see the one outside our house - many years ago :lol:
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Molly13

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 07:12:28 AM »

Weaver, its very dependant on area, and I think its fairly safe to say that the congestion issues they have such a bad reputation for are very few and far between now, but some areas still have issues. My speeds don't vary much at all, day or night, I just absolutely hate dealing with them, its a nightmare if you get a problem as I have had on a couple of occasions, and negotiating a new deal can be difficult, but was actually pretty easy this year. I don't like VM, never have done, but with the choice of 40/6Mbps VDSL or 370/36 (I could go faster still) on Virgin, it's an easy decision.

You are right. Thanks for the information!
Pages: 1 [2]