Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Request for general advice on speed to property  (Read 5513 times)

NoEsquire

• Just arrived
Request for general advice on speed to property
« on: March 20, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »

Hi folks - apologies if this post is a little wayward but I'm looking for some advice from you geniuses on what I may be able to do to improve our connection speed at our property.

Let me tell you a story.

We moved into our house a couple of years ago in the middle of a high density residential neighbourhood in one of the UK's largest urban areas. A cursory check seemed to suggest that we were able to get fibre to the cabinet, but that proved to be incorrect after we moved (and I managed a successful takedown on the offending ISP marketing team via the Advertising Standards Authority). We set up an ADSL contract with BT and had speeds of 6-8mb/s for a year or so before the line presumably developed some kind of fault as our speeds plummeted to basically unusable rates (<2mb/s down, <0.2mb/s up). BT were unable to fix the fault despite (apparently) repeatedly trying and claiming it was fixed, so we got out of that contract and have been using an unlimited 4G plan since.

Our 4G coverage will tend to give 7-10mb/s down and weirdly anywhere from 3-15mb/s up. Nothing to write home about but an improvement - however we have been experiencing an increasing number of dropouts and coverage issues so this isn't an ideal set up for us longterm.

Throughout all of this I have been in an endless dialogue with OpenReach to try and establish why we don't have fibre to our cabinet and why we're not in their plans for further fibre network improvements, despite properties just a few doors down and the vast majority of our neighbourhood benefiting from FTTC. I have repeatedly submitted OR 'Community Leads Portal' requests to see if we can fund the work ourselves and have only recently received a quote back for £14,000 for fibre to the property; not strictly what I am requesting. Ironically we have been assigned a 'Rural Engagement Officer' from OR, despite living in the middle of a large town with fibre in touching distance. I have spoken to BT regarding the broadband universal service (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/broadband-uso-need-to-know) but again they are basically unwilling to help.

I have even spoken with our MP who says he will "have a word" with BT; but that is also presumably into the void.

You may think I am being precious and that there are plenty of other UK residents in similar or worse positions than us. But our connection is affecting our ability to work from home let alone function as a modern household and is a constant headache for me personally. We are considering moving!

So what I am requesting (aside from an opportunity to vent - thanks for reading!) is any tips or advice on what I can do. Is there anything I can do to put pressure on OR to include our cabinet in their rollout plans? Any help or sympathy welcome.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Request for general advice on speed to property
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 04:39:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum....

My first question is what does the BT Broadband Availability Checker say about your property, either using phone number (if you have a land line) or the address checker? It would be useful to know your general location as this may also help us to help you. There are some very knowledgeable folks here who will obviously comment further.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 04:41:41 PM »

Talk to Andrews and Arnold (AA) who are extremely good at sorting out Openreach. See aa.net.uk. I have had just such a fault which has been very persistent and AA have got it sorted out quickly again and again. It doesn’t cost anything to talk to them. :-)

If you need more speed now, AA can set up a second line and tie the two together for full double speed in both directions, ie. a single download or upload will go twice as fast. Warning: this will not be cheap, so have your wallet ready, but the results are superb. I have done this, but with four lines that are much slower than yours, giving a combined total of approx 10.5 / 1.25 Mbps measured TCP payload.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 07:29:13 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you need a communication provider fighting your corner.

Do you know which street cabinet you are connected to?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:31:50 PM »

In the short term, have you checked other 4G providers?  I had pretty poor results from Three with drop outs, they went away when I switched to Voxi (Vodafone).  Granted I'm practically on the doorstep of that tower.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:11 PM »

And I forgot to say “welcome to the forum” too! :)

NoEsquire

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »

Firstly thanks all for the warm welcome. I half expected this post to be shot down so I really appreciate the helpful advice.

Quote from: broadstairs
what does the BT Broadband Availability Checker say about your property? … t would be useful to know your general location as this may also help us to help you.

BT can offer us ‘standard broadband’ with 5mb-11mb download. I know for a fact that our line will struggle to achieve this - we cancelled BT contract with 1-2mb down because they were unable to fix this and meet their guarantee and seemingly incapable of fixing it.

We just started a new contract with TalkTalk who offered a 5.7mb/s guarantee. Guess what? We don’t get near that. I know just flipping ISP wasn’t going to fix any hardware issues on the line but I was curious and can now look forward to more endless discussions with TalkTalk to get them to ether investigate the fault or rip up the contract.

I live in Poole in Dorset. I have mapped out our local area according to whether fibre is available using Open Reach’s checker - as you can see it is somewhat inconsistent: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1igleOqYYuOzMzUb-SkYSHVMLdnfTeSPj&usp=sharing

Quote from: Weaver
Talk to Andrews and Arnold (AA) who are extremely good at sorting out Openreach.

Thanks for the tip! I’ll get in touch with them. Interesting about the doubling up of the lines - certainly an option I’d be interested in exploring.

Quote from: meritze
It sounds like you need a communication provider fighting your corner.

Do you know which street cabinet you are connected to?

Yep I know our cabinet number and our exchange. We’re quite far from the exchange I think (1km) which is likely a contributing factor. But as I say, cabinets around us have fibre so it surely feels achievable.

When you say 'communication provider', would the aforementioned Andrews and Arnold be an example; or are you talking about some other kind of body?

Quote from: Alex Atkin UK
have you checked other 4G providers?
When we made the decision to abandon BT broadband and go for 4G about 6 months ago, I tested a whole bunch of SIM cards and we decided to go for Vodafone as they had the highest speeds in our tests (15-20mb/s) and had an unlimited data no-contract plan. Speeds have dropped since then to the 7-10mb I mentioned, not totally sure why but just another twist in the tale. Plus the connection seems somewhat unreliable. It drops out sometimes and also it often seems to take a couple of seconds delay when a device makes a request. So the speed is generally OK but the connection isn’t optimal. That behaviour is observed using a TP Link 4G router over both Wifi and ethernet.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 09:54:30 AM »

Looking at your map that's pretty appalling inconsistency in coverage, I am truly surprised for such a large urban conurbation. I am surprised that BTOR are not installing proper FTTP in your area. I'm guessing you don't have Virgin Media fibre in your area, if you did BTOR might be more inclined to improve their offering. Competition talks  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »

A communications provider just means an ISP effectively. So yes, AA is a normal ISP. They used to have a "fix your line in a month" deal for new customers; I haven’t checked to see if this is still running. Ask them for help and advice - that doesn’t cost you anything and then you can decide if they’re right for you and whether you wants go for the double speed ‘bonding’ option. There are other ways of doing bonding but some of them have weaknesses, such as requiring that two downloads to be in progress at the same time to see the benefit, or not speeding up uploads only downloads. Others may be able to advise about alternative bonding methods. The combination of AA plus the right router gives full n x speed in both direction on everything including single down-/uploads.

I have DSL lines that are good for approx 2.7 / 0.4 Mbps IP throughput. Bonding four lines gives me a measured TCP payload rate of 10.5 Mbps down and ~1.2 Mbps upstream, from various speed testers so it’s very effective in both directions. For some reason, the upstream efficiency is not as good as the downstream. That could be because one of my lines has a slow upstream and it may be that the unequal rates cause some upset to TCP’s performance. I ought to test this theory by temporarily switching that slow upstream line out some time, as an experiment. If you have fewer lines then you will get better performance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:23:07 AM by Weaver »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2021, 01:45:30 PM »

Gonna take a stab in the dark that you're off Cab79 or Cab46, based on the wide geographical area ??

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 03:58:55 PM »

P15? as far as I can tell.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 04:54:30 PM »

I'm guessing you don't have Virgin Media fibre in your area, if you did BTOR might be more inclined to improve their offering. Competition talks  ;)

Stuart

Just checked near cab 79 and and Virgin Media is available for postcode BH12 3BB, actually looking on TBB it looks like most the area is covered https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#15/50.7255/-1.9386/virgin/

NoEsquire, have you tried Virgin?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:57:02 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 07:09:31 PM »

Virgin would be dramatically faster. Even though the performance would be variable, according to reliable reports, it would be far better than ADSL2.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 10:24:12 PM »

Weaver, its very dependant on area, and I think its fairly safe to say that the congestion issues they have such a bad reputation for are very few and far between now, but some areas still have issues. My speeds don't vary much at all, day or night, I just absolutely hate dealing with them, its a nightmare if you get a problem as I have had on a couple of occasions, and negotiating a new deal can be difficult, but was actually pretty easy this year. I don't like VM, never have done, but with the choice of 40/6Mbps VDSL or 370/36 (I could go faster still) on Virgin, it's an easy decision.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »

P15? as far as I can tell.

Ah yes, I missed that beast as I scoured through Cab's with associated DSLAM's. Cab15 is indeed still copper only.
Pages: [1] 2

anything