Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VMG-8924 settings and questions  (Read 1996 times)

BobC

VMG-8924 settings and questions
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:13:45 PM »

Hi, I have a thread over here in the ISP sub section https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25695.0.html

That thread started out with which ISP should I go with, to getting a new modem/router for testing, to posting stats, to asking general questions about the VMG-8924 etc so I will continue to update that thread with line stats until I request a dlm reset or initiate a ISP switch.

So, anyone who has been following my other thread knows I replaced the BT Hub 5 with a Zyxel VMG-8924. Partially set it up the other day but I might be missing a setting or two that should be turned on or off from the defaults. I modified the VDSL page and changed the PPP username and password to get connected to the internet, setup the wireless devices, ticked some things in the Lan/Wlan and Wan section of the Remote Management page, changed the time/date and that was about it.

This was the firmware to begin with 1.00(AAKL.10)C0_20151008 and I updated to 28-tel-stats1.1-cmd. Nobody mentioned at the time that I need a supervisory password, downgrade, telnet into TR069 and disable some feature to prevent John Lewis from forcing a firmware update and at the same time removing any trace of JL. Is there a way I can do this without a factory reset and starting the whole process again?

Another question I have is in regards to IPTV. I managed to assign the IPTV with a IP address but it keeps on losing the IP, as well as that the guide keeps on messing up and the streamed channels are stuttering/buffering continuously. This wasn't an issue before changing routers. Do I need to do something in the router settings?. I don't think I have configured the IPTV properly with the router. Every other device connected over ethernet and wifi is working at the moment. PC's, mobiles, Switch, Ipad, Netflix and Amazon streaming through the TV. I was trying to reflash the IPTV box through Putty and it's not having it. Unable to resolve host address - DNS name resolving. This is where the complication comes in from a router/modem that is designed for people who know what they are doing. Simple minded people like myself have always used basic pre-configured HUB's. Don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Appears the XBOX app is also having a problem on the PC with nat types and server connectivity with Teredo is unable to qualify - blocked

Now a few general questions. How do I disconnect wifi devices from the router page? In the HUB 5 I could just hover over a device and disconnect it. Another question is where is the information for the total data usage used?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:28:00 PM by BobC »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: VMG-8924 settings and questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 09:24:29 AM »

Have you tried the advice for YouView to get your IPTV working - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15784.msg293822.html#msg293822
I can't vouch for it myself as I don't use streaming channels but it's worth a go.
For total data usage you can see this from System Monitor > Traffic Status.

BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »

> Another question is where is the information for the total data usage used?

In my modems, which are a different ZyXEL model, VMG 1312-B10As, I can’t see byte count anywhere but there are various other counters that are related to data downstream and upstream. I have an ATM cell count, which you will, I believe, not have, as for example:
   ( downstream / upstream )
    Total Cells:   459752958      646557628
    Data Cells:   203884487      38086079

Now I think you said you’re using VDSL2, so no ATM and no cells, but you might have something like a PDU count?

BobC

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 05:31:30 PM »

Have you tried the advice for YouView to get your IPTV working - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15784.msg293822.html#msg293822
I can't vouch for it myself as I don't use streaming channels but it's worth a go.
For total data usage you can see this from System Monitor > Traffic Status.

I bookmarked and followed the suggestions given in the Youview / IPTV streaming link a few days ago. The modem stopped working when I ticked Enable con-current WAN and selected the bridge port that the TV and IPTV are connected to. I have it working again now. I had to transfer the files to a usb and flash it that way because transferring it over telnet wouldn't work. I will have to keep an eye on it because the IPTV may just suddenly stop working again in a day or two.

I saw that traffic status page a few days ago but I can't make sense of it when it's in bytes. In the Home HUB it was MB and GB. Can I change that?

I also fixed that XBOX Console Companion App problem on the PC. I tried port-forwarding the ports through the router but it never made a difference. It seems doing something through the cmd prompt fixed it Windows side. Can't be sure if that problem was from a recent Windows Update - Feature Update 20H2 done in the past month or from the router change.

As for the firmware issue I may just leave it for now and see what happens. If it does force update the firmware or it does revert some settings I will follow what was said in the latter pages of this thread https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=23056.0 could also reset it all if I switch ISP before I get connected.

So the wifi any idea how I go about disconnecting devices through the router? I'm only given the option to check the info, parental control and change the name icon. No disconnect device option.

> Another question is where is the information for the total data usage used?

In my modems, which are a different ZyXEL model, VMG 1312-B10As, I can’t see byte count anywhere but there are various other counters that are related to data downstream and upstream. I have an ATM cell count, which you will, I believe, not have, as for example:
   ( downstream / upstream )
    Total Cells:   459752958      646557628
    Data Cells:   203884487      38086079

Now I think you said you’re using VDSL2, so no ATM and no cells, but you might have something like a PDU count?

I think that's the issue. It's all calculated differently. I did see the traffic status page a few days ago but I couldn't make sense of the data.

I'll attach some screenshots of my traffic status page. It's so much easier than writing / copy pasting the details.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:39:23 PM by BobC »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:18:50 PM »

1887514914 is 1.88GB
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

BobC

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 12:22:30 AM »

1887514914 is 1.88GB

It should be way higher than that after 3 days of uptime. I downloaded a 45gb game just yesterday which dwarfs 1.8gb. Our usage in a month is generally between 1TB and 1.5TB. 1.8GB used can't be accurate. The data doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit - Meant 45gb
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 12:25:32 AM by BobC »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:18:41 AM »

In that screenshot, it says ‘Sent’ and then there’s the 1.8GB figure. ‘Sent’ is surely upstream, no? Is there a ‘received’ or ‘rx’ value anywhere?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 10:24:05 AM »

If you scroll the image across to the right the downstream (received)  figure is 2,780,321,500 Bytes.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »

Ah, I couldn’t see the whole image. Thanks  :)

Are those byte counts ‘since last synch’, rather than ‘since boot’?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 02:23:37 PM »

It should be way higher than that after 3 days of uptime. I downloaded a 45gb game just yesterday which dwarfs 1.8gb. Our usage in a month is generally between 1TB and 1.5TB. 1.8GB used can't be accurate. The data doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit - Meant 45gb

Odd - I've just downloaded a test 100MB file and my received count went up by 100MB as expected, but the 1.9GB total received on my device for an uptime of 35 days is way too low as well.
Can't say I've actually taken much note of this before as I'm on an unlimited contract so don't think about how much data I've used.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 02:29:44 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

BobC

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 04:15:04 PM »

Ah, I couldn’t see the whole image. Thanks  :)

Are those byte counts ‘since last synch’, rather than ‘since boot’?

I don't understand the figures. 1 hour ago I checked the data received and it said 3,985,844,367bytes. Checked again just now and 87,205,100bytes. Link Uptime is currently 3 days: 18 hours: 42 minutes.

Odd - I've just downloaded a test 100MB file and my received count went up by 100MB as expected, but the 1.9GB total received on my device for an uptime of 35 days is way too low as well.
Can't say I've actually taken much note of this before as I'm on an unlimited contract so don't think about how much data I've used.
 :)

True, it's great that "most" ISP's have no data usage restrictions on the more expensive packages. Would still have been nice to be able to check my data though. It seems these statistics in the traffic status are botched. Our household will fly through 1.8gb in a matter on minutes when everyone is connected doing their thing. I now know the 1.8gb figure was for upload but the download wasn't much higher, infact the download stats on my end seems to have reset in the past hour.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »

I don't understand the figures. 1 hour ago I checked the data received and it said 3,985,844,367bytes. Checked again just now and 87,205,100bytes. Link Uptime is currently 3 days: 18 hours: 42 minutes.

I think that's fairly easily explained: the total is stored in a 32-bit unsigned integer which has a maximum value of 4,294,967,295. when the total exceeds this, the reported value rolls round to zero and starts counting up again.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »

???  :lol:  A pitiful beginner programmer’s error. Why on earth didn’t they use 64-bit integers? (Perhaps they didn’t have a 64-bit-int-to-ascii-decimal library routine, but modern compilers and their runtime libraries should have been able to handle that many years back.)

anything