Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 v3 an unifi AC AP Lite on vodafone superfast 2  (Read 2790 times)

Cris89

• Just arrived
HG612 v3 an unifi AC AP Lite on vodafone superfast 2
« on: March 15, 2021, 07:42:17 PM »

As the name states I would like to make this possible to work I’m fed up with vf router , got even a netgear D7800 that has a modem in it but run into 2.4ghz band just disappearing every day pretty much, i had enough

Can this be possible to set up? If so i will need a bit of help as I’m not that comfortable playing with this modem

Any imput will be highly appreciated

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: HG612 v3 an unifi AC AP Lite on vodafone superfast 2
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 08:30:36 PM »

I'm running a Zyxel VMG1312-B10A as a modem, and a Mikrotik wAP AC as my wireless, no issues and absolutely flawless performance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:53:00 AM »

I’m running four VMG1312-B10A modems into a Firebrick FB2900 firewall-router and I have a couple of very old ZyXEL NWA 3560-n WAPs which have been superb but at some point I will need to replace them because of their extreme age now (>10 years) and could do with something a lot faster some day.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 08:40:47 AM »

Hi Cris89, I am a bit unclear on what exactly your setup is, are you using the HG612 as a modem with a router - which router is it?

If your connection is good then one simple way to improve wifi is to do what are suggesting, no need to change your modem / router and just add a WAP, like the Unifi one you suggest.

If I was buying a new one I might be tempted to get one of the new wifi 6 standard ones for future proofing.  Personally I use the Ubiquiti AP AC Pro's and they have been excellent but there are lots of choices, the Ubiquiti ones are not necessarily the most easy to set up, in my experience,  due to Ubiquiti's proprietary software - while being quite good is also an additional layer of complication that some people don't like, they are also quite expensive.

Good luck

C

Cris89

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 07:30:20 AM »

Haven’t got the ap yet and yes i was looking at the new wifi 6 ones regardless of the ap i was on vf forums and they said I can’t put ther router in modem only and they suggested to get the hg612 as i said have no clue about setting things up bit i can follow instructions, I tried to find an engineer to pay him but because of the current situation is impossible

You think that will work just to add the ap to the vf router and just to turn off its wifi?

Cheers mate

Cris89

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 07:34:24 AM »

Also doing a speed test vf router is 72Mbps on wifi while hg612 on the wire is only 56-60 Mbps

Vf router/modem is great line uptime is amazing just wifi is VERY unreliable, live in a 2 bed small flat and i don’t have wifi in bedroom from the lounge :/

My plan was to use the hg612 ans a modem and router i have read here that is possible and to have just this two devices the hg612 and an ap.

Feel free to suggest things , was thinking to put the ap in the middle of the flat hallway ceiling and the modem lounge where i have my master socket
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:39:05 AM by Cris89 »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 07:40:44 AM »

Also doing a speed test vf router is 72Mbps on wifi while hg612 on the wire is only 56-60 Mbps

Vf router/modem is great line uptime is amazing just wifi is VERY unreliable, live in a 2 bed small flat and i don’t have wifi in bedroom from the lounge :/

Have you tried changing channels on the wifi as this may be a congestion issue? There are plenty of free apps available for checking which is the best channel to use.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Cris89

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 07:50:12 AM »

Yes i have changed the channels dns server with google I’m with vf support for more than a year trying everything, changed their device with a new one .. is just not good on wifi

I want that ap because i have it at work in a building 5 times bigger than my flat and is just amazing , just need a bit of support on how to get internet to it
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:52:51 AM by Cris89 »

Newfie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »

I would have gone simple, just a plain router with built in WiFi as there are dozens to pick from.

I run Ubiquiti as well as Netgear and a couple of Netduma routers and a few NG extenders. The unifi router is the UDM and I’ve a NanoHD but its WiFi is average compared to say my RAX120. That said unifi relies on multiple AP coverage as I’ve had to do this in my small property where as the RAX120 covered the lot and more to spare.

Regarding your netgear router, it’s based on the R7800 which has great coverage however NG routers really do need a full factory reset after updating firmware to clear the NVram of low level code. Knocking on a bit now sadly.

I take it you can turn off the WiFi on the VF router? Does it not offer DMZ?

Cris89

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »

Yes i can turn off wifi on the router and yes it has a static nat/dmz/exposed host function in admin panel

Problem is i had two brand new netgear D7000 and D7800 and both had the same issue band 2.4ghz just disappearing every now and then tried loads of firmwares looked on formus till i got depressed really, if you google netgear and 2.4 problems you will cry

Plus I didn’t see any big improvement from my wf router regarding range , still buffering in my bedroom from lounge on my smart tv on the 5ghz the 2.4 was relatively ok but was unreliable as keep disappearing
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:19:47 AM by Cris89 »

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 10:18:30 AM »

Hi Cris89, so.. I have VF superfast 2, also got fed up with their router >:D, VF seem to set the modem to get the Snr down as low as possible (mine was at 3.2db) hence your download go's from 72Mb to 56-60Mb at 6.2db which is normal for BT lines.
I recently bought a Fritzbox 7590 and can now connect my pc wirelessly at 950Mb/s via 5Ghz thru 2 brick walls and steel rads and television between the two, the line is also much more stable now with no stutters and buffering as was the case before.
Only downside no full stats :(

Do you have an mobile app for scanning WiFi channels in use by your neighbours? I use WiFi analyser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer then set your Wifi to use channels as far away from anyone else's.
If they use ch 1-6 go to ch 13 on 2.4Ghz and ch 100 on 5Ghz.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Newfie

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 05:51:11 PM »

Yes i can turn off wifi on the router and yes it has a static nat/dmz/exposed host function in admin panel

Problem is i had two brand new netgear D7000 and D7800 and both had the same issue band 2.4ghz just disappearing every now and then tried loads of firmwares looked on formus till i got depressed really, if you google netgear and 2.4 problems you will cry

Plus I didn’t see any big improvement from my wf router regarding range , still buffering in my bedroom from lounge on my smart tv on the 5ghz the 2.4 was relatively ok but was unreliable as keep disappearing

When they dropped did you or were you running any type of WiFi analyser to see if the channel was dropping. I know NG quite well, their hardware tends to be good but their firmware can be a bit lacking sadly.

I had one NG router that just lost channel 11, was replaced but yes sadly like all electronics there’s a percentage that go belly up.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »

I had one NG router that just lost channel 11, was replaced but yes sadly like all electronics there’s a percentage that go belly up.

Wait, how can it "lose" channel 11?  Surely the way WiFi works a single channel can't just stop working (at a hardware level) as its not even a single channel to begin with.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Newfie

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 07:40:15 PM »

Wait, how can it "lose" channel 11?  Surely the way WiFi works a single channel can't just stop working (at a hardware level) as its not even a single channel to begin with.

I’ve no idea, I spent 2 hours with support and test equipment running watching it drop. Every other channel was fine but select channel 11 and within a short time 2.4 would drop out. It was an XR500 router, replacement arrived next day. NG gaming routers have some quirks as it’s layered firmware and some old coding thrown in too.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »

I agree with Alex. Of course a disturber / neighbour can start using that channel or adjacent ones, or there could be som very narrow-band interference source in theory, but I don’t believe the latter for a minute.
Pages: [1] 2

anything