Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gov Starts GBP5bn UK Gigabit Broadband and Voucher Schemes  (Read 1687 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Gov Starts GBP5bn UK Gigabit Broadband and Voucher Schemes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »

still need a scheme for urban areas which openreach wont touch?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 07:53:54 PM »

I hope my area is going to be on some plans in the near future. The closest I've got to is in the Greater Manchester and Mersey group sometime in the future.

The only place in my local council area to have a good deal of full fibre in Failsworth. I think its one of the areas they are working to switch off the exchange at some point.

It would be good if either Ofcom or another more neutral site was setup so the network builders had to put a bid in for certain areas and then had to start building in that area within 12 to 24 months. Once a bid is in place then it locked other network providers out unless the time expired which would re-open the area. Maybe fines could be given out if the network builder fails to carry out any work within the time period.

I'm sure the idea could be more refined if I could think of more things. But the objective would be that the end users would have an idea of when potentially they will get an FTTP offering.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 01:01:21 AM »

still need a scheme for urban areas which openreach wont touch?

I'm hoping City fibre sweeps up those

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:40 AM »

I agree with Bowden. I would like the addition of a condition: that builders have to offer access to a full range of ISPs as BT does. The last thing I need is a new development and then being forced to change to a random ISP that is not of my choosing. Surely no one wants ISP neutrality that is worse than that which BT offers. That’s the great thing about BT, universal access provision.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 02:24:54 AM »

Its my understanding that CityFibre have to offer universal access too!?  You can get Zen on there which is great.

I can see a future where I have a Zen connection over Openreach and another on CityFibre.  Or maybe Zen on CityFibre and something cheap as a backup over Openreach.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »

Ah, that’s really good. I read something about an FTTP development in York some years back where iirc there was only a choice of three (large) ISPs available. I may have got that wrong though.

Do you know how much of the whole network path eg CityFibre implements, that is to say where is the boundary between them and the ISP?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 11:57:13 AM »

Ah, that’s really good. I read something about an FTTP development in York some years back where iirc there was only a choice of three (large) ISPs available. I may have got that wrong though.

Do you know how much of the whole network path eg CityFibre implements, that is to say where is the boundary between them and the ISP?

No idea, and it is a good question.

anything