Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Qotom Opnsense -> VMG3925-B10B (Modem mode) -> Nowtv (Sky) - Resolved  (Read 946 times)

ninja-limes

• Just arrived

Hi all

The posts on this forum have helped me take the steps to ditch the supplied router and incorporate my new broadband supplier into my existing opnsense setup, so thanks for that :)

I have factory reset and updated the VMG3925-B10B to /trejan/VMG3925-B10B/tree/V5.13(AAVF.12)C0-Jumbo and believe I have the router in modem only mode.

I have followed the modem only mode with stats separated howto post (thx) and can monitor the stats and modem sides with wireshark, so they seem to be correctly segregated.

I have gotten the correct dhcp details from the original modem for dhcp-client-identifier and dhcp-class-identifier and entered those into the opnsense lease requirements field.

I am also spoofing the original sky801 modem wan mac address in the wan interface on opnsense.

Sadly when I use wireshark on the modem those dhcp settings are not getting translated into the correct dhcp settings?

I wondered if anyone can help me with the format they used in the opnsense lease requirements field to get it to work please?

Looking at the dhcp manpage it should be 'option dhcp-client-identifier "....|"' but the examples on the opnsense manual don't include 'option'.

Not sure if this is an opnsense config issue or perhaps I have not configured the modem mode correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:11:13 PM by ninja-limes »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Qotom Opnsense -> VMG3925-B10B (Modem mode) -> Nowtv (Sky)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »

I have factory reset and updated the VMG3925-B10B to /trejan/VMG3925-B10B/tree/V5.13(AAVF.12)C0-Jumbo and believe I have the router in modem only mode.

What was the aim from using this custom firmware?
You don't need a Jumbo frames patch on Sky as they don't use PPP.

I am also spoofing the original sky801 modem wan mac address in the wan interface on opnsense.

That isn't necessary.

You only need to use DHCP Option 61 in OPNSense with a generic username password that matches what Sky expect, like
username abcdef123456@skydsl and password abcd1234

No personal experience of OPNSense but there's a guide here: https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/SkyUK.html
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:51:53 PM »

I have opnsense on sky and zen both on qotoms and on vmg3925-b10b
All the details you need are here

https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/SkyUK.html

ninja-limes

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »

Thanks both :)

I was a little lost with the versions of firmware for the device and concluded that was the one to use, obviously wrongly. Is there a preferred version to use in this instance?

That is the guide that I am following, I have the actual username and password from the original router and have entered it as the guide states and it does not work.

Not sure what I have done wrong, but noted that the username and password were not correct when seen with wireguard.

Maybe with the right firmware version my config might be fine as it is.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:00:01 PM by ninja-limes »

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:08:08 PM »

Both of mine are on the latest version of opnsens with no issues. Download the latest from the mirror.
Sky config on wan port is
Ipv4 config type = dhcp
Dhcp client  under send options

dhcp-client-identifier"random@skydsl|anypassword

Connects on that fine

Feel free to pm for any questions on opnsense if you wish.

ninja-limes

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 03:19:44 PM »

Both of mine are on the latest version of opnsens with no issues. Download the latest from the mirror.
Sky config on wan port is
Ipv4 config type = dhcp
Dhcp client  under send options

Connects on that fine

Feel free to pm for any questions on opnsense if you wish.

Thanks for this :)

No issue at all with the versions of opnsense, always rock solid for me, latest version, but the router is off ebay, so wasn't sure which version of firmware that I was best to use.

Thought I'd read the latest was a step back, so others were using an older version, but read so many threads I might have gotten mixed up!

I'd actually sniffed the original one from the nowtv router so think that is correct, it uses the mac address with no colons as the random part and nowtv instead of skydsl and the random password.

Do i have to have ipv6 enabled on the opnsense wan interface or will it work with just ipv4?

Thanks for the PM offer, I have been at this for 3 days and feel I am 99% there but not 100% so must be doing something silly.

ninja-limes

• Just arrived
Re: Qotom Opnsense -> VMG3925-B10B (Modem mode) -> Nowtv (Sky) - Resolved
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »

Thanks again for your time a patience @skyeci much appreciated.

For others using skydsl instead of nowtv in the identifier worked for me, but need more investigating to understand why :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:16:36 PM by ninja-limes »

anything