Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cityfibre announces 200+ new towns and villages.  (Read 9828 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Cityfibre announces 200+ new towns and villages.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »

For those waiting on CityFibre in their city you can do a lot worse than search for words like data centre and variations on hvac and air conditioning in local planning portals.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »

Checked CityFibre yesterday, they are definitely doing bits of my exchange but so far its areas they already have FTTC.  Searching those post codes say its coming soon, searching mine says "no plans".  So I'm not holding my breath.

Then again searching my post code for Fibre First makes no mention either, despite the fact I know that is coming.  But then it did used to say it was, until it was delayed and they didn't add it back to the post code checker.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2021, 07:56:37 PM »

For those waiting on CityFibre in their city you can do a lot worse than search for words like data centre and variations on hvac and air conditioning in local planning portals.

Thanks Carl, I had a look on the keywords, no dice, but the icons on the roadwork map are heading right in my direction.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 08:38:15 PM »

They have been installing cabinets and ducts/fibre in locksbrook road, bath the last couple of weeks. Straight over where VM went only a few months ago... ::)

Aos6aXie

• Just arrived
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »

Thanks Carl, I had a look on the keywords, no dice, but the icons on the roadwork map are heading right in my direction.

You're in Leicester? If so, check application number 20191545 and 20200835.
Zen 65/14 - HG612 + Ubiquiti ER-X BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2021, 11:22:03 PM »

Thanks, the first one doesnt mention air condition until reading the document, not sure why I didnt see the second one though, but cityfibre is only mentioned in the document rather than the search results.  First is somewhere in the city centre, other is to the far east, these dont seem related to roadworks but rather needing approval for noisy equipment.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »

I should have made clear I was referring to it arriving in the city full stop, hence 'in their city' rather than 'in their street' or whatever.

CityFibre nearly always have to either build new premises or upgrade them as they're repurposing, both of which require planning.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

The roadworks are moving in another direction again, but here is some not so good news from zen, I asked zen to look into it for me given I had had a "coming soon" email.

They got a reply back from cityfibre stating there is no planned date, I know that could mean they just dont want to commit to anything but would think if it was happening soon they would say so.

cityfibre checker has changed to "building in your area but we need landlords permission" bizzare. (looks like they assume if a flat is in your name and you not the home owner they need to treat it as a HMO), next door neighbour gets been planned instead of been built.

main road not far from me (5 minutes) has it enabled.  Where they appeared a few weeks back.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 11:59:36 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 05:49:57 AM »

A little update, I didnt plan to keep checking so often but since I have a dsl fault, I looked again.

I will speculate if no new clusters of roadworks appear I am at least several months away now from been available.

However I can see a pattern emerging.

They started initially in North East of city, then that cluster worked eastwards.
A new cluster appeared a few weeks ago North West of city and is moving north.
A third cluster now appeared this week in South East of city, no idea yet of its direction, but wouldnt surprise me if moves south.
If a fourth cluster was to appear in the South West, that would be my area.  They not circling round but starting at a point near city centre (in residential areas), and then moving in a direction to the edge of the city.

I expect when any of these clusters reach the edge then they zig zag back.

So yes i am in the only corner of the immediate area around the city that has no ongoing/completed works.

I just wish cityfibre would publicise the schedule or at least the order of areas completed but it seems the telco companies all want to operate in as much secrecy as possible.  They are easy to contact though and dont hide away like openreach, I was able to resolve the landlord issue on their checker e.g.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:56:06 AM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 02:05:33 AM »

Indeed its very confusing, as they are doing my exchange but all I can see so far is they are converting their existing FTTC areas to FTTP, no idea if they are expanding further than that.  AFAIK that's a really tiny area as they did it because Openreach neglected to.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 09:22:39 AM »

Scratch that, according to their own promotional video:
We build for the whole city, street by street
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxGQso1bbM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »

Dont think cityfibre even do FTTC? they are a FTTP company.

My street is definitely getting the service, confirmed by both cityfibre and Zen, the issue is the schedule.

I may move this to FTTP section later, as I noticed now kitz added it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

Dont think cityfibre even do FTTC? they are a FTTP company.

It seems I got my wires crossed between the deal Vodafone had with CityFibre to exclusively use their FTTP network (no longer the case) and Vodafones own FTTC network, thinking THAT was run by CityFibre.

Its still curious they are doing those areas first though.

Telecoms is so darn convoluted in this country its hard to keep up, but then far preferable to the horrible situation in the USA.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »

Yeah customer facing isps like zen, vodafone etc. will have multiple suppliers, to them cityfibre is just a supplier, they may use one supplier for one product and another supplier for another.  Zen even have two FTTP suppliers as they also sell openreach FTTP.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2021, 01:34:01 PM »

Its a race to see if CityFibre comes here first or Openreach, either way I plan to stick with Zen.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:16:48 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4