Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Cityfibre announces 200+ new towns and villages.  (Read 9861 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Cityfibre announces 200+ new towns and villages.
« on: March 13, 2021, 12:08:13 AM »

Here is the story;

https://www.cityfibre.com/news/cityfibre-extend-world-class-infrastructure-216-additional-towns-villages-across-britain

CityFibre has identified 216 additional towns and villages that are to benefit from a Full Fibre rollout, completing the list of locations in its £4 billion nationwide investment programme. The locations selected will see CityFibre extend its networks to much smaller conurbations, bringing the benefits of Full Fibre to communities outside the UK’s major towns and cities.

Have a look if your town or village is on the list;

http://www.cityfibre.com/rollout/

There is a map and also some drop down geographic options.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: Cityfibre announces 200+ new towns and villages.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 12:34:47 AM »

Great my Village is on the list for Phase 1.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:38:31 AM by banger »
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 01:50:36 AM »

How does this work? Is Cityfibre itself an ISP? Or a wholesale carrier/reseller for other ISP(s)? If the latter does the customer get some choice of ISP?

I would be praying that it is BT OR that eventually in the distant future implements FTTP here so that I get a completely free choice of ISPs.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 02:04:25 AM »

That's quite some rollout.  Is this duct/pole sharing or completely independent?

How does this work? Is Cityfibre itself an ISP? Or a wholesale carrier/reseller for other ISP(s)? If the latter does the customer get some choice of ISP?

Wholesale.

CityFibre is the UK’s largest alternative provider of wholesale fibre network infrastructure and the builder of Gigabit Cities
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:07:12 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 07:11:26 AM »

I would be praying that it is BT OR that eventually in the distant future implements FTTP here so that I get a completely free choice of ISPs.

Wholesaler for both business and consumer, although consumer needs its own build.

I believe vodafone have a timed exclusive? then after other providers can resell.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »

List of city fibre resellers/partners here: https://www.cityfibre.com/partners/

I'm in a phase 1 area, Vodafone have advised a free upgrade as soon as they can.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »

I believe vodafone have a timed exclusive? then after other providers can resell.

Vodafone's exclusivity is up. Talktalk are being sold over much of CityFibre, as are Zen.
Different areas have different ISP's as exclusivity ends in different areas, confusing things for the early rollout.
Eventually every area will be the same.

Wholesaler for both business and consumer, although consumer needs its own build.

What do you mean by this? Don't they both need the same build?

If you mean that some business connections show available to you while residential doesn't (like from giga.net for example), they both need to physically build GPON to you before you can order a service.

The only difference between residential and business is the split ratio for GPON, but that's just a different Splitter card in the local cabinet they will install.
The method of the deployment is surely the same?
If you have CityFibre available and you order a business connection they don't build again.

Some Business connections can be built on demand without waiting for the residential rollout.

Their metro network is a completely separate beast.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:51:15 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 08:10:22 PM »

What an unhelpful website though, all we see is Phase 1 and Phase 2, no idea what is done, in progress, exactly when, where.  The enquiry even said my address isn't planned but its in Phase 1. :/

It makes Openreach look transparent in comparison, though admittedly Fibre First site say nothing about it coming to my address now either despite being on the map as to start within 3 months (which should mean about now).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 11:40:05 PM »

What an unhelpful website though, all we see is Phase 1 and Phase 2, no idea what is done, in progress, exactly when, where.  The enquiry even said my address isn't planned but its in Phase 1. :/

It makes Openreach look transparent in comparison, though admittedly Fibre First site say nothing about it coming to my address now either despite being on the map as to start within 3 months (which should mean about now).

My address also says the same, no plans but on the map shows Phase 1. No dates for phase 1.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 12:24:50 AM »

My address also says the same, no plans but on the map shows Phase 1. No dates for phase 1.

I was referring to Fibre First (Openreach) for my address, as that USED to say FTTP was coming soon before it was delayed a year which removed all reference on the address lookup, which remains missing today.

I didn't really expect CityFibre to say anything as they do not have any time frame specified, unlike Openreach which do.

I'm registered for updates on both now though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 12:27:19 AM by Alex Atkin UK »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 05:12:08 AM »

What do you mean by this? Don't they both need the same build?

If you mean that some business connections show available to you while residential doesn't (like from giga.net for example), they both need to physically build GPON to you before you can order a service.

The only difference between residential and business is the split ratio for GPON, but that's just a different Splitter card in the local cabinet they will install.
The method of the deployment is surely the same?
If you have CityFibre available and you order a business connection they don't build again.

Some Business connections can be built on demand without waiting for the residential rollout.

Their metro network is a completely separate beast.

In an older post I posted that no build was needed for me to order a business cityfibre based service from a business reseller (free install, fibre already under pavement in my street), Carl then explained it might be because in a consumer build extra work has to be done as to why I need to wait for the consumer build to be completed.  I cannot remember specifically what he said was involved in the extra work sadly.

sdawson35

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »

I got excited when I saw this only to have that excitement dashed.
Where I live in Essex two towns were named as being part of the roll out, to get to these 2 towns you have to go through mine yet we are not on the list ......so we are stuck yet again with poor choice , speed and reliability.
CityFibre will not comment or at least have not commented as to how they choose which cities and why.

antsly

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 01:08:50 PM »

I was referring to Fibre First (Openreach) for my address, as that USED to say FTTP was coming soon before it was delayed a year which removed all reference on the address lookup, which remains missing today.

I didn't really expect CityFibre to say anything as they do not have any time frame specified, unlike Openreach which do.

I'm registered for updates on both now though.

For what it's worth I'm also in Sheffield albeit on a different Fibre First exchange, I can practically see a fibre pole from my windows and there's no reference on the site to me getting it soon.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 07:51:37 PM »

For what it's worth I'm also in Sheffield albeit on a different Fibre First exchange, I can practically see a fibre pole from my windows and there's no reference on the site to me getting it soon.

I'm not concerned, just find it kinda nuts that a year ago it said I was getting it soon but when they removed it off the "to start in next 3 months" (they hit a power distribution issue in the exchange) that was removed, but now my exchange is back on the "to start in next 3 months" they haven't put the message back.

I guess they either can't be bothered to update it or realised it perhaps best to wait until its ACTUALLY ready.

CityFibre e-mail said "Unfortunately, we are not currently building in your area but we regularly announce new towns and cities across the country. We will keep you updated if there are any changes about the build in your area." though I guess that's fair as theres a TON of phase 1 areas and its fair to say they aren't building in my area yet.  Though weird to not at least say "its planned".

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »

Their live checker isnt up to date I think, I know e.g. the consumer FTTP digging has started in my city, yet their checker says my area is in planning phase.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything