Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: A switch in ISP provider  (Read 15743 times)

BobC

Re: A switch in ISP provider
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »

That sounds like custom isp firmware

Can you telnet into the router and type  and
and then try the firmware update again

All I keep getting is unrecognised command through Putty. I'm obviously doing something wrong... Not the brightest of people when it comes to any of this type of stuff.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 06:37:21 PM »

I get the same response to those commands on my 8924 so I don't think it's you. That firmware version is odd as they don't usually have a date on the end like that, but usually you get rejection message if it can't load it so I'm not sure what is happening.
Have you tried stock Zyxel firmware from their ftp site?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

BobC

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 06:55:46 PM »

Just wanted to update. Managed to get it all up and running. That link now works as well. I will post some stats later, only just recently rebooted the router to apply the firmware.

Current Firmware Version: 28-tel-stats1.1-cmd

Not sure what is important and unimportant when it comes to the stats. I'll post whatever looks important and if you need more just say.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:04:53 PM by BobC »

BobC

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »

posted the xDSL statistics from the router and the vmgraph which was linked in a earlier post. If any more screenshots are needed or there is something else available that includes even more stats please say so.

I can't seem to find a few things like G.INP, fastpath, interleaving, vectoring which is seen in some people's stats. Also can't seem to locate the total usage of download and upload in the router information. Is this type of information not available in this router or am I again supposed to be using some different software to get all the stats?

Screenshots should be attached below. This router also allows ICMP pings so I have setup a long overdue Broadband Quality Monitor. Could never enable that feature with the HUB 5.

Also, in the Remote Management under Lan should they all be ticked? Similarly under wan should they be ticked or not?

I apologise for the delay in delivering the stats. I couldn't get the IPTV to work last night. There was a connection but no IP could be assigned and meddling with the router caused the router to break temporarily. Wifi worked but the lan/ethernets did not. Managed to get into the router via phones over wifi and turned off the setting that bricked the router. Had to reset the router after-wards. The setting that caused the router to mess up was bridge and routing mode in the same wan, enable con-current WAN. I read in another thread that enabling the port that is connected to the TV / IPTV may fix it. Instead it died. We eventually got the IPTV up and running after that so no need for advice.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:00:08 PM by BobC »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »

Did you already visit http://192.168.1.1:8000/data/stats (also accessible as ‘stats’ from within the ‘data’ menu)

BobC

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2021, 06:30:52 PM »

Did you already visit http://192.168.1.1:8000/data/stats (also accessible as ‘stats’ from within the ‘data’ menu)

Nope, I'm clearly missing something obvious in the index menu. First I couldn't find that vmgGraph without the link and I couldn't find that data/stats page you just linked. I'll post them stats anyway.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »

what do you see when you look in the ‘data’ menu ?

BobC

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2021, 07:17:25 PM »

what do you see when you look in the ‘data’ menu ?

QLN, Hlog, Logfile, SNR, Bits, Varstats, Stats, Vendor and CurTime. I can see this information through the links but how do I navigate to these pages through the IP - Index page? I'm either missing something obvious under connection status, network setting, security, system monitor and maintenance or I'm on the wrong page entirely. I'm such a simpleton. People type as if I should know these things, unfortunately I don't. Are the stats provided in the screenshots above not enough?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2021, 09:13:05 PM »

Two things: You need to make sure that you are appending the :8000 ie http://192.168.1.1:8000 and secondly the web pages accessible on port 8000 are from a separate webserver, distinct from the standard ZyXEL one on http://192.168.1.1/(no port specifier). I suspect that that highly non-obvious fact is what is causing confusion. Our very own hero Mr Johnson added a second small webserver that listens on port 8000 and which gives you the full stats, chronological logging and pretty stats-vs-time graphs.

If you can’t see some particular thing in http://192.168.1.1:8000/data/stats, then do ask, but what’s there is all there is, I believe. In the data/stats or varstats menu is all the good stuff that this modem has.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:18:05 PM by Weaver »

BobC

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2021, 10:10:20 PM »

Two things: You need to make sure that you are appending the :8000 ie http://192.168.1.1:8000 and secondly the web pages accessible on port 8000 are from a separate webserver, distinct from the standard ZyXEL one on http://192.168.1.1/(no port specifier). I suspect that that highly non-obvious fact is what is causing confusion. Our very own hero Mr Johnson added a second small webserver that listens on port 8000 and which gives you the full stats, chronological logging and pretty stats-vs-time graphs.

If you can’t see some particular thing in http://192.168.1.1:8000/data/stats, then do ask, but what’s there is all there is, I believe. In the data/stats or varstats menu is all the good stuff that this modem has.

Thanks, that clears things up. XDSL Statistics, VmgGraphs stats and data stats have been provided in the above attachments. Wish I had attached all the screenies to the same comment now, wasn't sure which stats I needed to send over. The only thing I can't seem to pin down is how much data I have used in upload and download, unless I missed it when skimming the statistics. Does anything look amiss by the way in the stats? You or anybody else are free to answer. If any other stats are needed just say so and I'll provide them in screenshot form or copy and paste them over in the comments (if short) the data stats and the var stats look similarish, not sure I need to provide screenshots for var stats, but if I do I'll modify and add them to this comment if I can.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2021, 10:20:31 PM »

I think we can deduce now:-

There are very few errors on the line
g.inp is enabled ( I don’t know if this is high or low )
The line is on fastpath
With that high SNRM and the attainable much higher than the sync the line is banded.

Others might be able to deduce even more. I would certainly leave this a few days, please avoid anything that might cause a resync ( router rebooting etc)

If those stats remain stable  a DLM reset would remove banding, but no point trying to get that until your sure the line / router doesn’t resync ( reset as you have mentioned) or the banding will just be reapplied.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

BobC

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2021, 10:55:10 PM »

I think we can deduce now:-

There are very few errors on the line
g.inp is enabled ( I don’t know if this is high or low )
The line is on fastpath
With that high SNRM and the attainable much higher than the sync the line is banded.

Others might be able to deduce even more. I would certainly leave this a few days, please avoid anything that might cause a resync ( router rebooting etc)

If those stats remain stable  a DLM reset would remove banding, but no point trying to get that until your sure the line / router doesn’t resync ( reset as you have mentioned) or the banding will just be reapplied.

I know John said banding is caused by drop outs / successive resyncs but it's never been the case. The HUB never reset hourly or daily. In post 26 when I linked the latest HUB resets / resyncs it went from 48941, 14 days later 46901, 14 days later 42051. If all of this is banding but my HUB only reset once every 14 days why does the sync rate continue to drop, then band me again? This has been the pattern all along from 70+ Mbps to 40 ish Mbps. I can understand the crosstalk but how can somebody be on fast path but with 10+ noise margin and a way lower sync rate?

Yes, I will leave it for a few days, if it does restart it won't have been by me. Could all of this have been caused by faulty HUB's? I'll post up the stats again in a few days providing the router stays on. An issue may present itself the longer the router is on which should be easily identifiable with all of you observing.

By the way I forgot to do one thing with this router. I applied the firmware update but never disabled the TR-069 John Lewis supervisor thing. I only found this out by reading threads after I had already applied it :(. Is this something I really ought to do or should I be fine?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:03:31 PM by BobC »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2021, 01:26:10 AM »

If you can disable the TR-069 thing then that would be ideal, but as to whether or not any practical problems will become evident, I can’t say.

BobC

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2021, 04:28:56 PM »

These are the stats approaching 8 days uptime. Are those still fine? The FEC has shot up since the last posted stats at 19 hours in.

If these stats still look stable and I ask for a dlm reset am I likely to stay at the max attainable with a 6 or 3db SNR or can the errors suddenly multiply with a faster connection speed? I didn't really have a great deal of stats at my disposal on the HH5 but this problem with the speed decline has been a issue ever since I switched from cable to BT I have a gut feeling it will fall away quickly.

I was also checking BT deals on the internet and found something a bit odd. The personalised deal only offers me 36-40Mbps with a minimum guarantee speed of 32Mbps on a 24 month contract. It looks like I'm moving on. I know I could be offered a better deal on the phone if I rang retentions or cancelled but a 24 month contract with a minimum of 32Mbps before I can argue my case is just too low. When I originally signed up it was 54Mbps then climbed up to 61Mbps in a later more accurate telephone check, so that's quite a drop off.

I'm really not sure which ISP I should go with. Does it even matter which one you choose? It will be the exact same service regardless right? Or do some do it better than others?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »

These are the stats approaching 8 days uptime. Are those still fine? The FEC has shot up since the last posted stats at 19 hours in.

If these stats still look stable and I ask for a dlm reset am I likely to stay at the max attainable with a 6 or 3db SNR or can the errors suddenly multiply with a faster connection speed? I didn't really have a great deal of stats at my disposal on the HH5 but this problem with the speed decline has been a issue ever since I switched from cable to BT I have a gut feeling it will fall away quickly.

I was also checking BT deals on the internet and found something a bit odd. The personalised deal only offers me 36-40Mbps with a minimum guarantee speed of 32Mbps on a 24 month contract. It looks like I'm moving on. I know I could be offered a better deal on the phone if I rang retentions or cancelled but a 24 month contract with a minimum of 32Mbps before I can argue my case is just too low. When I originally signed up it was 54Mbps then climbed up to 61Mbps in a later more accurate telephone check, so that's quite a drop off.

I'm really not sure which ISP I should go with. Does it even matter which one you choose? It will be the exact same service regardless right? Or do some do it better than others?

If the banding is removed yes the SNRM should go to 6db initial and if the line is ok will slowly go down in steps to 3db with associated increases in sync speed getting towards the max attainable.

A reduction in noise margin will make the line more error prone. That can’t be judged in advanced.

All ISP,s should prove to be the same I’ve found the only variable is in customer service. Usually related to price. Hence AA expensive but regarded as very high standard. It’s a balance
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything