Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: A switch in ISP provider  (Read 15333 times)

BobC

Re: A switch in ISP provider
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2021, 09:35:56 PM »

We are in the final stretches of this thread now. Will update when the resets begin to happen, hopefully G.inp is turned back on and the connection stabilises. I have a sneaky feeling the data sync will begin to drop off again soon along with the noise margin increasing. We'll see. May also drop an update when and if I choose to switch ISP's. It's not really important information but I hate abrupt ending to threads with no conclusion.

The router hasn't reset since the dlm reset yesterday but these are the day 1 stats as an attachment as well as early 2017 HUB stats. I have asked a couple of times in this thread but had no response. What causes the line attenuation to increase? I was at 18.4 when the service was first installed, it then kept flicking between 18.2, 18.3 and 18.4 then started increasing after that. It was at 19 in 2019. Recently it was 19.5 and since the engineer visit it's gone upto 19.6. the CRC and ES errors + the amount of corrected errors in those stats don't look too promising. Screenshot was taken over half an hour ago and 54 CRC and 10 ES as of this post.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2021, 10:12:21 PM »

Those ES are really low, the attenuation isnt measured and a estimate, to vary by that small amount isn’t out of the norm in my experience. I don’t believe the data rate will decrease as the noise margin reduces, what might happen is the line will get more noisy. It can’t just just lower the data rate the DLM could do that, but from the stats you have supplied really unlikely. Perhaps you might just think the engineer corrected an issue that was degrading over time and is now fixed.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

BobC

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2021, 08:08:53 AM »

DSL Uptime 4 hours 29 minutes. G.Inp has been enabled. Line rate / data sync rate is now at 61.284 with a noise margin of 6.3 / 6.4 dB. Max attainable is between 61.300 and 62Mbps. Only a short length of uptime but 0 errors on the CRC, ES, SES etc at the moment on the downstream. Fec's at 797. I didn't want to bombard you all with screenshot after screenshot showing the exact same stats.

From line dslstats on G.INP Data Summary. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but that's the current settings. Also back to no delay on latency. I hope this remains stable but I'm a pessimist.

Downstream        Upstream
General
   rtx_tx             19621779           0               
   rtx_c              6021               0               
   rtx_uc             121989             0               
   LEFTRS             36                 0               
   minEFTR            61272              0               
   errFreeBits        1956924301         0               
Bearer 0
   RxQueue            48                 0               
   TxQueue            12                 0               
   G.INP Framing      18                 0               
   G.INP Lookback     12                 0               
   RRC Bits           0                  24             
   Interleave depth   8                  1               
   INP                47.00              0.00           
   INPRein            0.00               0.00           
   Delay              0                  0               
Bearer 1
   Interleave depth   1                  0               
   INP                2.00               0.00           
   INPRein            2.00               0.00           

One more thing does anybody know if John Lewis force reboots the modems like BT, Talktalk etc? I never did that supervisor telnet login on a older firmware to access the TR-069 and disable whatever I had to disable. I was just going to leave it as is but if the modem resets every 14,20,25,30 days I may have to do that soon. Current modem uptime is 14 days 9 hours.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2021, 08:17:35 AM »

Excellent news - G.INP is doing exactly as we hoped. If the errors stay low you should find it dropping you to 3dB in 1dB steps over the next week or so, with commensurate speed increases at each step.
With respect to the regular reboots I believe only BT HomeHubs do that - have certainly never seen any reports of it occurring with other ISPs, so I wouldn't be concerned on that front.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2021, 05:43:46 PM »

All good news, I think your already at a speed better than you have had for some time.

As @tubaman says, it’s going to get better.

However be aware when you change ISP it will invoke a DLM reset so you will need to again wait for the stages, interleave - g.inp- lower SNRM

Note John Lewis is “Plusnet” some on here have found service lacking, although it’s good value. I’m moving my Plusnet line. To Zen next month.

BobC

« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2021, 06:18:25 PM »

All good news, I think your already at a speed better than you have had for some time.

As @tubaman says, it’s going to get better.

However be aware when you change ISP it will invoke a DLM reset so you will need to again wait for the stages, interleave - g.inp- lower SNRM

Note John Lewis is “Plusnet” some on here have found service lacking, although it’s good value. I’m moving my Plusnet line. To Zen next month.

I wasn't considering John Lewis as an ISP. The VMG-8924-B10A I bought from Ebay is a John Lewis ISP router. I changed the PPPOE over to BT, upgraded the firmware but never did that TR-069 supervisory telnet login to wipe all traces of their service.

As for the ISP switch I will see what happens. If the line remains stable and BT adjust their estimates to fall in line with the improved conditions I may just stick with BT providing I can get it on a cheaper deal. As I have already mentioned though I do like the sound of a few of the features other ISP providers offer.

Seeing as I have commented I may as well provide a update. 14 hours 38 minutes and still 0 on everything on the CRC, ES, SES and the rest. I don't like these spikes in FEC's though. It's been trickling upwards but two short bursts of 3000 and 5000 have sent it upto 12980.

I couldn't make sense of the end of the comment you made yesterday. Do you mean that the corrosion on the wire may have been like that ever since the installation date in 2016? If that was the problem all along I'm surprised every other engineer overlooked it, all of them ended up at that telepole upon visits.

As for the speeds, yes it's been a fair while as I have always been banded with no DLM resets.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2021, 06:39:43 PM »

Please don’t concern over FEC,s. I can get 1.3million in a 24hr period !

I would think with corrosion, it would start very minor and gradually get worse, following your experience with speeds.

Unfortunately there is a degree of variation between engineers. The last fault I had the first engineer closed the case as no fault found, I persisted and the second found two separate HR joints and completely fixed my circuit.

I really think your in a good place, shortly you should get the best speeds ever, something many would be jealous of :P

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2021, 08:22:09 AM »

As @g3uiss says just ignore the FECs - 5.3 million on my line in the last 24 hours and that's actually rather good compared with what I've seen in the past.

BobC

« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2021, 08:11:22 AM »

It as now started the process of lowering the SNR as you all said it would. We'll have to see whether it sticks or reverts back to 6dB. Weirdly though the throughput in speedtests as done the opposite and gone down a few mbps from 57 to 55 from the few sites I tested it on it was bouncing around in the high 40's then settled on 55, sometimes 56. Hopefully that throughput increases the next time the router resyncs providing the lower SNR remains stable.

You must all be getting sick of the questions but how does dlm manage upload? I have not brought it up once in this thread because it was the decline in download syncs I was more concerned about. The upload once upon a time was 19 or so Mbps, never really dropped as harshly as the download speeds in the sync rates, but one day that 19 became 16 and ever since it floats between 14 and 16. When I first setup this router it synced at 16Mbps (high 14's with the HUB), all these resyncs later and it's hovering just above 15Mbps again. Seems to be really inconsistent the upload.

I'll provide another update when it's looking stable at 3dB or when it reverts back to 6dB.

FYI that link time of 16 minutes in the screeny is inaccurate. Those error rates were based on the link uptime of 5 hours and 16 minutes. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:24:15 AM by BobC »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »

DLM tends not to use G.INP on the upload side so that will stay at 6dB SNR unless you have high error rates (which you don't). I say 'tends not to' as myself and others have seen it applied to the upload side but usually only for brief periods of a few days following large numbers of errors. For some reason it doesn't stick but I've no idea why.
The reason it changes speed a bit with each resync is just because the line conditions vary throughout the day and it'll sync at whatever speed equates to 6dB SNR at the point of the resync.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 08:43:58 AM by tubaman »

BobC

« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »

DLM tends not to use G.INP on the upload side so that will stay at 6dB SNR unless you have high error rates (which you don't). I say 'tends not to' as myself and others have seen it applied to the upload side but usually only for brief periods of a few days following large numbers of errors. For some reason it doesn't stick but I've no idea why.
The reason it changes speed a bit with each resync is just because the line conditions vary throughout the day and it'll sync at whatever speed equates to 6dB SNR at the point of the resync.

Well, so far the data sync has increased 5 times since joining this forum. HH5 42Mbps (39Mbps throughput) VMG-8924 44Mbps (stayed at 39 then upon a resync 41Mbps throughput) post engineer visit 52Mbps (49Mbps throughput) G.INP enabled 61Mbps (57Mbps throughput) and now the 5dB noise margin test 63Mbps (55Mbps throughput) Surprisingly the sync rate changing slightly every resync whether up or down is something I was aware of. Also know about the overheads of around about 3Mbps from sync rate to throughput. If the 5dB noise margin does remain stable during this test, I just gotta hope the throughput will increase in the next router resync. It could fall apart soon but I'm surprised it's looking this stable, if it continues like this I could be back close to what I had originally.   

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2021, 04:17:54 PM »

Im sure you will be. So far it’s followed exactly what we expected. I doubt you will have any issues going forward from the stats you have provided. Glad the forum had been a help. Hope you stay around 😀

BobC

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2021, 11:42:41 AM »

It appears the throughput vs sync rate issue is because of this

Downstream       Upstream
General
   rtx_tx             19634886           0               
   rtx_c              16626              0               
   rtx_uc             198687             0               
   LEFTRS             83                 0               
   minEFTR            66419              0               
   errFreeBits        41764021           0               
Bearer 0
   RxQueue            75                 0               
   TxQueue            15                 0               
   G.INP Framing      18                 0               
   G.INP Lookback     15                 0               
   RRC Bits           0                  24             
   Interleave depth   8                  1               
   INP                55.00              0.00           
   INPRein            1.00               0.00           
Bearer 1
   Interleave depth   3                  0               
   INP                4.50               0.00           
   INPRein            4.50               0.00           
   Delay              3                  0               

INPRein 1.00 was enabled when the SNR lowered to 5dB that was why my throughput went from 57 with G.INP to 55Mbps with 5dB SNR with INPRein 1.00.

It is currently at 4dB SNR @ 1 day 10 hours with 0 CRC, 0 ES, 0 SES and 290615 FEC with a 58Mbps throughput, a sync of 66432 and a max attainable of 69. Most of those FEC's occured in the space of 2 hours between 13:00 and 15:00 yesterday. Loud music was being played by one of the neighbours, not sure if that had anything to do with the huge spikes. I wasn't monitoring them via dslstats before then so I have no idea if these huge spikes are common around about the same time.

So what I wanted to ask is whether this INPRein being set to 1 is a temporary measure whilst the dlm tests the lower frequencies or is it here to stay?

I will do as intended and post the stats when it switches to 3dB or when it sticks to 4 or switches back to 5 or 6dB.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 11:51:48 AM by BobC »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »

INPRein=1 (ie Retransmission High) is the default with G.INP and will only revert back to 0 if you have very low ES rates. Others have more experience with this but from what I have read you might have to force a lower sync rate for a while to get DLM to remove it. Whether it's worth the hassle for a couple of Mbps is something only you can decide.
It's not something even worth trying on my line as it has periodic bursts of errors that would just undo it again.

BobC

« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:00 PM »

It was only when the dlm tested 5dB and 4dB it switched to INPRein=1. It was set to 0 on all the other stats. If the dlm thinks my line can get to 3dB and the throughput hits 60Mbps I'll be more than pleased with those results if it remains stable.

use dslstats: config, advanced, to send a custom command. This:

adsl configure --maxDataRate 50000 20000 100000

Found the above command in https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22086.105.html I have only posted the G.INP section of the dslstats recently but if anyone thinks INPREIN=0 with a lower dB would even be possible on my line please say.

I will still have to wait around regardless because it's testing 4dB noise margin at the moment with 0 errors on the downstream so far. If 0 is possible though I guess I just write the above command in 1. Tick 1 after a re-sync then send now? Then delete the command and send now if a re-sync occurs through dslstats? 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8