Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: A switch in ISP provider  (Read 15331 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: A switch in ISP provider
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2021, 10:17:56 AM »

Had no choice in the end. I asked for a DLM reset and their response was only an engineer can do that. I then pasted the isppreview article "Openreach Give UK ISPs More Control of Broadband DLM Profiles" but I doubt the live chat staff via BT's website even bothered to read it. They were far too busy spamming me with walls of pastes. They have scheduled a engineer visit next week but I told them to make note of the DLM reset.

Are you on a Huawei or ECI cabinet?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2021, 01:20:14 PM »

Reported earlier Huawei
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

BobC

« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2021, 01:55:00 PM »

Are you on a Huawei or ECI cabinet?

Huawei Cab.

I just checked the VmgGraphs and stats and there was a 19k FEC spike around 12:30pm today. Thinkbroadband monitor also had a brief spike in latency around about the same time. Is that anything to be concerned about? This is the first time the FEC errors have jumped up wildly. It was at 10.995 when I checked it at 12:05pm.

I will update whenever I get the engineer vist and hopefully the dlm reset.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »

FEC’s are nothing of concern. They are errors that didn’t happen.  :P

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2021, 03:16:59 PM »

FEC’s are nothing of concern. They are errors that didn’t happen.  :P

Yes, the name (Forward Error Correction) would imply just that, I used to be of the same opinion, however, it's now widely believed that DS FEC error rate is a factor which DLM monitors with respect to G.Inp re-tx profile selection, I have certainly found this to be true on my line and have had to DS modem speed clamp to reduce FEC error rate to achieve/maintain DS G.Inp re-tx low profile.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

BobC

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2021, 04:16:15 PM »

The engineer said there was corrosion on my line. He's fixed that then said everything else looks good from the cab to the telepole. He also replaced the MK3 faceplate with the MK4, but left the MK3 one behind as well. He's done a dlm reset but the data sync is still lower than the max attainable. G.inp has also been disabled so my latencies have gone from 10ms to 18ms which sucks. I will compress some screenshots together and post the attachment below.

.  .

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2021, 04:20:44 PM »

The engineer said there was corrosion on my line. He's fixed that then said everything else looks good from the cab to the telepole. He also replaced the MK3 faceplate with the MK4, but left the MK3 one behind as well. He's done a dlm reset but the data sync is still lower than the max attainable. G.inp has also been disabled so my latencies have gone from 10ms to 18ms which sucks. I will compress some screenshots together and post the attachment below.

That max attainable looks about what you'd expect from a 3dB SNRm target, which makes sense given the DLM reset and so starting from 6dB again.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2021, 04:41:07 PM »

And now with patience G.inp will be applied, latency will drop, and hopefully a steady drop in SNRM to 3db. Then you should be near the max attainable. Please note the max attainable is a theoretical figure computed by the modem.

BobC

« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »

That max attainable looks about what you'd expect from a 3dB SNRm target, which makes sense given the DLM reset and so starting from 6dB again.

Crosstalk has really done a number on my line, that being complemented with the lift & shift back in 2018, the data syncs didn't change but my max attainable started to fall even further not long after. Quite shocked that a dlm reset didn't bump me back upto the max attainable. I have never had a 3db SNR it's always been 6, 7, 8, 10 and during the latest reset on the 25th 11db. Will see how things go but I will probably reduce the package to 55/10 and save myself some money or just go elsewhere at a cheaper price. I like the idea of static ip addresses, no web filtering etc so I'll probably still switch. A 24 month contract to stay with BT is also a bit of a turn off.

Is it only BT that supply the 55/10 package? Every other site seems to have the 40/10 and then the upto 80Mbps. Not that it matters much, if I went elsewhere at a cheaper cost and paid for the upto 80Mbps I would still be making a saving on my current one month rolling contract.

Something else I would like to know is which ISP provides the best router aside from AAISP? I will probably go back to the ISP supplied router when I come to a decision.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:12:17 PM by BobC »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2021, 06:22:26 PM »

I don’t see any need to go to ISP-supplied routers if you know and love your own particular devices. Clearly you might have pressure from some ISPs, understandably, to use their router so that tech support know what they’re dealing with, but if that is the case, I would regard that as a reason to avoid that particular ISP.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2021, 06:47:10 PM »

Looks like the DLM reset has done as expected. Now you need to leave it alone for a few days and G.INP should kick back in. Just be patient and all should be good.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2021, 07:00:57 PM »

I think @tubaman has repeated my suggestion. Just leave it and hopefully you should get what you want.

I still don’t understand why you want to use a ISP supplied router, which are generally poor compared to such a good device you now have on the circuit. @weaver has also put this very clearly.

We can’t avoid cross talk it’s a feature of the technology which is now relatively out dated.

Hopefully by Easter you might get what your wanting!

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2021, 07:04:45 PM »

@Weaver I completely agree with you, I have never used ISP supplied routers as they are generally cheap and not very good, with a few exceptions, one being John Lewis Broadband who are actually operated by Plusnet and they supply or have done recently the Zyxel VMG8924-B30A which is so much better than than Plusnet's appalling HUB1 which is a re-hashed BT Home Hub 5A from years ago. They are still trying to fix Wi-Fi and other problems for over a year and still haven't got a stable firmware release. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2021, 07:15:57 PM »

The HH5A is good as a modem on an ECI cabinet, that's about it.  It just doesn't have the grunt to perform well on the WiFi.  Although I did use one as a cheap WiFi Access Point for someone for many years with OpenWRT on it, was much more stable.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

BobC

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:50 PM »

Fair enough, I will just keep the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A. Not happy with a few things with it though. Traffic status data usage is incorrectly reported "Roseway: the total is stored in a 32-bit unsigned integer which has a maximum value of 4,294,967,295. when the total exceeds this, the reported value rolls round to zero and starts counting up again." signal attenuation is unavailable, the system log monitor doesn't make much sense and the wifi is a bit iffy. A few things keep losing connection on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. I still haven't figured out how to get around firewall restrictions as well. The reason I prefer the ISP provided routers is because they are simple to use.

and yes I will leave everything alone and see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8