Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Access Terminal Box  (Read 2163 times)

davidenco

• Just arrived
Openreach Access Terminal Box
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »

I had FTTP installed on Monday and the MJ Quinn engineer installed the Huawei ONT and fibre drop cable without encasing it inside the Openreach Access Terminal Box. Unfortunately I didn't realise one existed until after they left.

My ONT is the Huawei HG8010H5-20. The Access Terminal Box is also made by Huawei but I can only find the previous model online that supports the ONT/BBU side-by-side, thinking I could buy it separately. Dexgreen do a combined ONT/NTU which they've told me is designed for the smaller ONT, and that would be a perfect match.

But I wondered if anyone knew if the engineer was meant to supply the Access Terminal Box or if it is standard practice not to encase the ONT and fibre drop cable?

The Access Terminal Box I'm talking about is this one: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWGH8BGAWWCh7KeN-txj7-_e2kiJgvSFzddQ&usqp=CAU

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Access Terminal Box
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 02:27:59 PM »

It's standard not to provide 1.
He/she won't have had 1 in their van.

That model is also brand new and likely not in circulation yet.

They tend only to be used on new builds.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

davidenco

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

OK. In that case, is there a way to remove the internal customer lead-in cover on the inside wall?

The lead-in cover is this one: https://www.millsltd.com/default/internal-external-customer-lead-in-kit-full.html

I don't know how to remove the cover and I'd need to do so to fit the combined ONT/NTU box.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 08:51:05 PM »

I'd assume you just disconnect the fibre from the ONT and remove the lead in cover, pulling it off the fibre. That's provided it fits over the connector on the end of the fibre.

The box you wish to fit needs mounting either vertically on a single back box, or horizontally on a double back box, or directly to the wall.

No idea where 1 would be sourced though.

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-developers/guides-and-handbooks/oct-2020-update/1+0%20ONT%20factsheet.pdf

The dimensions listed in that pdf are for the old ONT enclosure.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:58:13 PM by j0hn »

davidenco

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:11:54 AM »

Do you know how to remove the lead-in cover? I can't figure out how to remove it and no amount of pulling is working. Do I need to swivel it around into a certain position perhaps or should it just come off regardless of the position?

Another alternative is to get a HG8110H from eBay which would allow me to conceal and protect the ONT and fibre cable. But I have no idea what the difference is between the HG8010H and HG8110H. I've looked up the specifications online and both appear to be identical.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 12:24:09 AM »

Any particular reason you are doing this?  Seems a huge risk of damaging the fibre in order to what, reduce the risk of damaging fibre?

AFAIK they used to encase the ONT and the battery backup.  When they stopped supplying battery backup, no need to encase the ONT any more.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

davidenco

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 12:30:47 AM »

I was indeed trying to protect the installation but I can see your point, that I'm risking damaging the fibre cable regardless. I'll leave it then, but thanks all the same.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 01:43:19 AM »

Its easy to get into that mindset of worrying so much about something that is unlikely to happen and in doing so cause an even bigger problem than the thing you were trying to prevent in the first place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 08:58:13 AM »

Another alternative is to get a HG8110H from eBay which would allow me to conceal and protect the ONT and fibre cable. But I have no idea what the difference is between the HG8010H and HG8110H. I've looked up the specifications online and both appear to be identical.

Your installation (actually your address) is locked to the serial number of the ONT provided.
You cannot change it without some shady tinkering.

I'd leave it as if there are no issues.

I've seen pictures of hundreds of installs, and descriptions of thousands of installs.
Not seen a single enclosure used except a couple random new builds. Even most of those don't use enclosures.

You're not missing much.