Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Been here a while but never introduced !  (Read 3555 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Been here a while but never introduced !
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:25:11 PM »

Hi

Sorry but I never did this, although been here a while!

Fascinated by electronics sine very early age. Obtained Ham radio full licence at 16, and went to Salford Uni to read maths and electronics 1968-1971. Most of working life has been in private enterprise and out of my "hobby" although I have been involved with an IT support company and still have a few clients.

Most of my working life I volunteered for numerous organisations and Charites, currently at the Covid vaccination centres and a Mentor for the Princes Trust for young people starting their own business !

My pride is a still posses and use a mint AVO8 ! and some other gear the @bcat sometimes referred to.

Met some lovely people here a good place to be. I noticed CarlIT posted a link, so here is mine https://www.linkedin.com/in/tony-stone-10452752/
Tony

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Been here a while but never introduced !
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »

So hello and a very belated welcome Tony! ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »

My pride is a still posses and use a mint AVO8 ! and some other gear the @bcat sometimes referred to.

I still have an AVO 8 Mk 4 complete with leather case, didn't like the Mk 5 which was the last in the series I believe, the meter movement was very easily damaged.
With it's much lower input impedience by comparison to later digital multimeters, 20K Ohms/Volt, it was great for testing transistors and diodes, also gave a much better indication of relatively low frequency voltage changes (swings) than a DMM.
Can still remember the old "wet finger" collector to base transistor test, crude but effective!

I also hold a full amateur radio licence, GI0AWK, much later than your impressive G3 issue, long since inactive, had a little "romance" with data comm's, RTTY and AMTOR near the end but the growth of easy internet access just killed it all for me in the end as was the case for many. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 05:10:57 PM »

Great. I’m still sort of active when the mood takes me. I dabbled with RTTY but had a lot of fun with ATV using 625line video when it was only 405 in use. I still have a home brew ATV  Tx with a linear using air blown 4CX250 tubes !

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 05:26:35 PM »

I still have a home brew ATV  Tx with a linear using air blown 4CX250 tubes !

Unfortunately "home brew" kit became very rare with the big influx of ex CBer's who were willing and able to spend lots of cash on Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood gear and had in general very little interest in building anything, another reason I suppose why I dropped out of the system.

Apologies, I digress some what from the post topic.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »

@tiffy but great fun at the time and a great deal of knowledge acquired  ;D