Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SNRM changed by mysterious forces  (Read 2029 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
SNRM changed by mysterious forces
« on: March 08, 2021, 12:39:41 AM »

This morning early on, the downstream sync rates of all my modems shot up, went through the roof. I had increased the downstream target SNRM on each line from 3 to 6dB and this had slowed things down, but suddenly the target SNRMs went back down without me or A & A changing things. I know that because I can see the reduced SNRM shown in the modems’ status displays yet there is no log entry in clueless.aa.net.uk showing anything about anyone making a change.

This must be a weirdness at BT or OR, no ?

The downstream SNRM figures are around 2.6 dB typical and the modems 1, 2 and 4 (leaving out the extremely sickly line 3) have very high sync rates with line 4 being once again at a new record for d/s at 3.36Mbps @ 2.3dB (now,cat night time). Don’t understand why the downstream sync rates are so very high; weather is cold and wet, but not below freezing.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: SNRM changed by mysterious forces
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 12:42:26 AM »

Its certainly not great, as even I had issues when I was on ADSL if I went below 3dB.  Granted, at least part of my E side is aluminium.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:50:41 AM »

Wasn't there a resync or reboot of the modems when this happened, as if not it's certainly very odd indeed?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:05:42 AM »

There must have been a resync; I’ll look back in the logs. The sync rate changed, a lot, anyway.

I was running at 3dB d/s with no noticeable problems and no ES for four years. But recently the modems have been running super hot, at unheard of speeds, and when I had those Zoom problems last week that was when I noticed some ES and SES errors and blamed them for the Zoom audio misery.

I did notice some packet loss in the A & A graphs when doing some heavy downloads yesterday and asked AA about it as I can’t always tell whether or not it’s just a normal part of TCP in action; wondered if that was a problem due to modems running too fast.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »

I'm just wondering if a power glitch caused the modems to reboot and revert to 3dB for some reason.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »

Can’t have: I have them all on a UPS. (I moved them onto a second one as I had two.) And it’s still unexplained why they aren’t following their assigned 6dB d/s target SNRM.