Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Faster Firebrick  (Read 807 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Faster Firebrick
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:25:58 AM »

How would you make a faster Firebrick model that could route more than 1 Gbps? Faster clock speed? New processor that can do ILP, ie. more instructions per clock cycle and/or has a reduced clock cycle count for critical instructions, i such is available.

Or using offload hardware: something that can parse IPv4 and IPv6 headers? CAM? Something that can help with the longest prefix match algorithm? With the latter of such hardware, I worry about what happens when that hardware runs out of (its own) RAM; say an attack fills all the off-CPU RAM up with junk. I don’t know anything at all about router design. If I were designing a router, I would have to rely on software, so I would just pick a ridiculously fast CPU and fast RAM, write highly optimised code and hope, which isn’t good enough.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Faster Firebrick
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »

>> Firebrick model that could route more than 1 Gbps?<<

Mostly hardware. I would think the network interface controller (card) would be the most important thing here, and of course ensuring sufficient CPU for packet processing.
The NIC can have different port presentations depending on the type of router's traffic. A router can contain 2 or more network interfaces depending upon the type of traffic eg wireless interface card.

If you want to know more then you are best looking into Network Interface Controllers and how they shift data from and to the Internet and the local network.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Faster Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 09:24:24 PM »

Thank you I forgot about that.

I wonder if there are any good books on the subject?