Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Comtrend Vr3030 plusnet  (Read 885 times)

AlienatedCargo

• Just arrived
Comtrend Vr3030 plusnet
« on: March 09, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »

Hi all,

I acquired a comtrend VR3030 and planned to pair it with an external router at some point to replace ISP provided device. I had a quick look at the management gui for the comtrend and it seems great with one thing missing. I was trying to find out where to enter an ISP username/password (as plusnet not sure about others require this for authentication when connecting). Does anyone know if this is possible or if I've just over looked something? I basically just factory reset it and connected a laptop to it via RJ45 so get on so didn't do any vdsl setup or anything.

Thanks

Richard

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Comtrend Vr3030 plusnet
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »

If you are using it in bridge mode (which you should be if you use an external router) then you wouldn't put the username and password in there - that goes on the router.

The catch is from previous discussions it sounds like these devices are ISP branded so it might not expose the configuration options you need.
That maybe why you couldn't find the PPPoE login details section?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:23:56 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

AlienatedCargo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »

Ah I see, I'll have to pick up a router also and try it out. Looking at the gui there doesn't seem to be any ISP branding but that's not to say it isn't. If it doesn't work I do have a oepnreach Huawei modem also that I've had for a few years.

Thank you for the advice.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 08:54:03 PM »

If its in bridge mode you can setup a dialup connection in Windows over the ethernet port and plug it straight in to test that way.

I found this https://www.thekentongroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/VR-3030-Comtrend-User-Manual.pdf
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

AlienatedCargo

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:15:40 AM »

Ah I didn't know that. I'll give it a try when I have a day off later in the week.

Thanks for your help.