Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No Internet access /authentication & Unexpected cause  (Read 561 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
No Internet access /authentication & Unexpected cause
« on: March 01, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »

Last week my Internet access just died without any kind of warning , my router was unable to authenticate ,but modem never lost sync ,After a few phone calls to my ISP (Zen) and arguing about being liable to charges for an OR engineers visit,  And engineer visited my home checked the line(PQT) passed, Even though he knew it wasn't an issue with the line it's self,he rang the DCoE, who must have advised him to try another router /modem even though he had already got a syn from his JDSU (which didn't have the web browsing functionality on it) i think it was a BT HH3 they where unable to see that try and authenticate  and it had the amber light of NO internet access on , So my equipment ruled out as the cause, off to the Cab he went,to do a lift and shift  over an hour later  modem obtained a sync and router auth'd without issue Engineer rang  to say that the port was faulty , as was the 1st one DCOE allocated to him, hence the delay 2nd time lucky, so problem resolved
My stats have seen an improvement and the fec error rate is right down from 10k's to double digits , error seconds  are low  under 60 per 24/hrs averaging at 2 or 2.5 per hr max , I have to wonder if the port i was on  since getting fttc in 2014/15 was causing  higher error rates and DLM to apply High RETX ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:14:04 PM by tommy45 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: No Internet access /authentication Unexpexced cause
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »

That's very interesting.  I wouldn't have thought a faulty port could obtain sync but refuse to pass traffic, but I guess faults can happen at any point in the chain.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: No Internet access /authentication & Unexpected cause
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 01:46:31 PM »

Yeah,i thought it was a failure, config issue  between zen and talk talk business they use for back-haul,I would imagine Zen don't have access to it's GEA cable links to be able to see the CPE device connected , only reliant on the GEA test ect which doesn't check or diagnose auth issues zen did rebuild the radius, which had no impact,

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »

It just seems iffy, surely to move you to a different port they had to rebuild the circuit to the new port.  Did they not just try that on the old port?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:17:06 PM »

Maybe they did or maybe it failed testing from the cab. as the 1st port they allocated remotely didn't work either, the 2nd attempt was successful so there are at least 2 faulty ports line cards in that cab,going by what i have been told, as for what they did,????  but it took them a while, maybe they don't reuse dodgy ports to save the issues re occurring over and over ? Very odd that it suddenly stopped authenticating /and all internet access stopped too, but i guess the electronics in the cab only have a certain life span

anything