Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SmallNetBuilder test WiFi6e and its looking VERY promising  (Read 1160 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
SmallNetBuilder test WiFi6e and its looking VERY promising
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:29:47 PM »

Peak throughput of 1575Mbit downstream and 938Mbit upstream using 160Mhz channel width.

Granted this is very short range, but that's really the only practical way to have high throughput over WiFi - put the AP in the room you need it in.

Its also good to see OWE, encryption for open networks.  This means we should finally have more security using public WiFi, although you still really want a VPN anyway so you aren't trusting the operator of the network to not be sniffing your traffic.

The only catch is drivers don't seem to be ready yet as they could ONLY connect using OWE.  I expect this to be a none-issue by the time WiFi 6e becomes actually easily available on the market.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33226-wi-fi-6e-preview-with-asus-gt-axe11000-rog-rapture?start=1
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Newfie

Re: SmallNetBuilder test WiFi6e and its looking VERY promising
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05:14 AM »

It does seem promising, if I’ve read their forum correctly the next chips should cover more channel options as a poster pointed out it’s not covering all channels.
I suppose the next challenge is what devices will support it over the coming year, what limitations the first chips have and if they can push out routers at a more sensible price for consumers. I wonder if we will see mesh systems using this by the end of the year, many thought the 6Ghz channel would be beneficial on the backhaul.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:25:16 AM by Newfie »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »

They seem to be glossing over how 6Ghz attenuates faster than 5Ghz which makes it LESS useful for backhaul.  Plus that means you still have all the drawbacks of 5Ghz for your clients.

If they release quad-band with dual 6Ghz radios then that would at least solve the client issue, but still not sure the range is going to help much and that's going to be quite a price premium.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Newfie

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 12:33:32 PM »

I would not be surprised to see them mesh it with 6Ghz due to the throughput of end devices if they offer 6Ghz output. Hate to think what the price would be.
I do hope they don’t keep the 6Ghz for the top models, hopefully competition will bring them down and new models will appear.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:14:58 PM »

Well considering I just got an Honor Router 3 for £30 and that still has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi 6.  How much more costly could it possibly to be to include 6Ghz?

The profit margin on routers/APs must be pretty huge to be able to offer such huge discounts.

Newfie

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »

They are huge but the likes of NG and Asus will keep pushing those prices up and there’s a difference in the build quality. There’s lots of cheap WiFi 5 routers out there but when you strip them they don’t have great builds and normally don’t have great specs either. Look at the inside of a RAX120 and it’s components for example of a good build on a WiFi 6 router. 
The RAX120 has one of the best coverages I’ve seen, but then asking a client to connect back is the drawback at a distance so you could argue you don’t need that amount of coverage and no one ever turns down the transmit power on these stand alone routers.
They will come down in the end but not for a while and at the moment it looks like 6Ghz is only on top tier routers.
We need devices supporting it too and again not on the top tier stuff only. It needs to became mainstream which I don’t think will happen this year and with everything in a mess with this old virus I don’t think we will see much either.
The good news is we are going to see far more device support WiFi 6 this year, TV manufacturers are at last jumping on it but it was strange to see Xbox X not supporting it where at least the PS5 has.
Will be interesting to see it pan out, the next router is the RAXE500 due out that supports the 6Ghz, that will not be far of the £500 on release. I might pass on that  :no: Wonder what the first Orbi will be price wise?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:07:58 AM by Newfie »

Newfie

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »

https://dongknows.com/netgear-nighthawk-raxe500-wi-fi-6e-router-review/

Someone’s been a bit naughty under their NDA but I noticed the rapid fall on 6Ghz on SNB tests and it seems the netgear is the same but this is under the US power constraints.