Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thoughts on using a Unifi USG alongside an existing router (Firebrick)  (Read 581 times)

hopkins35

For a few years now I've been using a Fingbox for monitoring my LAN for new devices, monitoring bandwidth, etc. but this has become less and less useful as time has gone on because of its inability to work with IPv6, the company's decision to move towards a tiered premium service and recent AWS server issues causing numerous outages.

I have a number of Unifi APs and like the look and feel of the Unifi controller but it can be enhanced by using their Unified Security Gateway on the network however all of the documentation that I've found refers to it as a replacement for an existing router. I'd be looking to keep my existing Firebrick and using the USG in combination.

Can anyone foresee any problems with this and/or provide any advice on setting it up? Would network clients be given the IP address of the USG to use as their gateway for both IPv4 and IPv6 and would the USG then use the Firebrick's IP for its gateway?

Thanks in advance

hopkins35

I think I've answered my own question by finding this: https://larskleeblatt.net/run-a-ubiquiti-usg-in-semi-transparent-mode/ and it looks like a pain to do  :no:

anything