Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WiFi 6 or Tri-Band?  (Read 909 times)

Lostinthewoods

WiFi 6 or Tri-Band?
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »

Looking to upgrade my networking hardware and wondered if the general consensus is if one is more preferable than the other?

I live in a 3 bedroom house and was looking at either the TP Link Deco X60 for WiFi 6, or the multiple Synology MR2200ac for it's tri-band mesh capability.

I'm working from home so need good coverage and throughput for my laptop.

Currently have a Google WiFi mesh but that's not as reliable as it once was

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: WiFi 6 or Tri-Band?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:28:36 PM »

Its a bad time to upgrade as WiFi 6e is coming with proper tri-band. (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and 6Ghz)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 12:40:12 PM »

As mentioned above by Alex, bad time to upgrade due to imminent 6e, like the Netgear Nighthawk that is due in March: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/netgear-launches-one-of-the-first-wifi-6e-wireless-routers.html

What's wrong with the Google WiFi?

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 01:51:41 PM »

I'm assuming though that 6E won't be cheap... the router on that link is expensive!

Get coverage drops when in the same room as a puck and several devices downstairs connect to the puck upstairs for some reason when there are 2 downstairs. Plus the app isn't that great... always shows 0 devices connected to the mesh

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »

That sounds like an issue with the Google WiFi mesh, are the settings user friendly or really limited in what you can see and do?

WiFi6 devices are going for next to nothing, for example, the Honor Router 3 is currently on offer for £29.99: https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-router-3

These can be put in a mesh network, if you pick up 3 of them its around £90 for a WiFi6 mesh.

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »

It's pretty user friendly but not as in-depth as the Synology OS, for example.

There are options to restart the network, change IPv6, UPnP, DNS etc

You can see devices, their network usage, IP, which node they're connected to

I'll take a look at that Honor

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »

WiFi6 devices are going for next to nothing, for example, the Honor Router 3 is currently on offer for £29.99: https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/product/honor-router-3

For that price, its kinda hard to say no.  Will give it a try as a stop-gap until a good ceiling mounted WiFi 6e unit comes out.

Looks like it probably will work with this too https://github.com/if0xx/Huawei-Hilink-API which is great as I can integrate it into my monitoring screen that shows all WiFi clients connected across the various different APs I have.  So it will cover OpenWRT, pfSense, Unifi and HiLink.

Why there can't just be an industry standard API for this stuff I do not know.  Isn't that what SNMP was supposed to be for?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:11:41 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything