Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2.4GHz full utilisation  (Read 1126 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
2.4GHz full utilisation
« on: March 12, 2021, 04:05:09 AM »

I’m currently using a 40MHz wide band on 2.4GHz channel 1. I have no neighbours to worry about. My questions:
* Is it a bad thing to do in my case to use all of the entire 2.4GHz band leaving no channel free? - if no neighbours
* Do I need to leave some free space for Bluetooth devices? (Not sure where I got that idea from.)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 2.4GHz full utilisation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »

You're only using 2/3 of the spectrum, compared to built-up areas where were using all of it many times over, I think you're fine.

As for Bluetooth, I did a quick Google refresher and came up with the following:
Bluetooth utilizes frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology to avoid interference problems. The ISM 2.4 GHz band is 2400 to 2483.5 MHz, and Bluetooth uses 79 radio frequency channels in this band, starting at 2402 MHz and continuing every 1 MHz.

I also see mention that WiFi inherently listens to see if anything else is transmitting before sending packets, so it should just slow down if bluetooth is active on the same frequency, although from what we can gather above there should be plenty of bandwidth outside of your WiFi channel for bluetooth to function on anyway.

Bluetooth is more likely to glitch if doing heavy data transfers over 2.4Ghz WiFi, from the same device you are sending/receiving Bluetooth to at the same time.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 05:05:10 AM »

Will Bluetooth then choose the empty slot at channel 11 or 13? And so not slow wifi down? So I’m wondering if there’s a performance advantage in leaving a portion of the spectrum empty for Bluetooth.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 05:10:24 AM »

That would be my guess.  It should be interesting if 2.4Ghz becomes popular again thanks to WiFi 6.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything