Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: VDSL Router Dilemma  (Read 3429 times)

sdawson35

Re: VDSL Router Dilemma
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »

For me being able to get support and regular updates (for security bugs/vulnerabilities etc) is very important  - In general the domestic market is very poorly supported from a security context.

I have a low bandwidth and over subscribed exchange (no upgrade on the horizon) I also have between 3-4 people working from home on a good day , not to mention live feed cctv/security system and all the mobile phones/smart tv etc etc.

I need a router I can rely on but also gives me the ability to support vpn capabilities as well as flex the config as demands need , I dont have any internal network wiring (my bad - should have thought about this before the house was done up !), so use power over ethernet adapters (I get a solid 600 Mb), however I have found that for some reason they dont work at all well with some routers and work very well with others.

So all in all trying to get the most I can with what I've got using  the technology thats available without leaving myself/family vulnerable.   

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »

I'm with Vodafone as well, the modem they supply is complete pants, but you also need it to complain about speed issues :-X
I now have maximum discount on my sad connection 39Mb use to be near 60Mb, now on last working port (sort of!) in the cab.
So I bought a Fritzbox 7590 to replace the THG3000....   so much better, no lag stutter latency now :) a bit over kill but currently surfing/gaming on my TP Link RE450 wifi bridge at 975Mb / 5Ghz band.
I can also change/split WiFi channels and renumber them!, try that on the Vodafone unit. Ok so stats are limited on Fritzbox.
Have you noticed the THG3000 has a habit of lowering the Down stream Snr? mine kept taking it down to 3.5db on my ECI line, a bit of artificial mangement to get highest speeds but caused no end of problems on BBC iplayer/Netflix
Fritxbox is now on 6db sooo much better and for similar money that the XMG sells for.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »

Bonding is expensive but load balancing is easy enough.  It can even be as simple as having different devices on a physically different network, or a fancier router with policy routing.

Have you noticed the THG3000 has a habit of lowering the Down stream Snr? mine kept taking it down to 3.5db on my ECI line, a bit of artificial mangement to get highest speeds but caused no end of problems on BBC iplayer/Netflix

Depends what you mean by "taking it down".

If its 3.5dB after a re-sync then yes its trying to force a lower SNR than DLM.
If its 3.5dB after a long time synced, where it was originally 6dB, then its changing line conditions or a fault in the modem driver such as bitloading failing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 11:03:52 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »

For me being able to get support and regular updates (for security bugs/vulnerabilities etc) is very important  - In general the domestic market is very poorly supported from a security context.

I have a low bandwidth and over subscribed exchange (no upgrade on the horizon) I also have between 3-4 people working from home on a good day , not to mention live feed cctv/security system and all the mobile phones/smart tv etc etc.

I need a router I can rely on but also gives me the ability to support vpn capabilities as well as flex the config as demands need , I dont have any internal network wiring (my bad - should have thought about this before the house was done up !), so use power over ethernet adapters (I get a solid 600 Mb), however I have found that for some reason they dont work at all well with some routers and work very well with others.

So all in all trying to get the most I can with what I've got using  the technology thats available without leaving myself/family vulnerable.

If you wan to be able to totally customise things why not consider something like opnsense or pfsense in use with a bridge modem. So you would need a device that can act as wap for wifi devices but you would have totally customisation over your router setup. Both opnsense and pfsense are free to install provided you have some suitable hardware to put it on.
I use vpn in and out, solar monitors and alarm system. Easy to setup as my router/firewall software built within opnsense allows me to set up what I need easily.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 11:35:07 AM »

Depends what you mean by "taking it down".

If its 3.5dB after a re-sync then yes its trying to force a lower SNR than DLM.
If its 3.5dB after a long time synced, where it was originally 6dB, then its changing line conditions or a fault in the modem driver such as bitloading failing.
It's the latter version starts off at 6dB then falls over a few weeks/couple months until it gets to 3.5dB. Upon reboot it would go back to 6dB.
The port on the line card is faulty as well, but the only one left :'( that worked. There was talk of  replacing the whole card but this was up to OR.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 11:51:48 AM »

Have you noticed the THG3000 has a habit of lowering the Down stream Snr? mine kept taking it down to 3.5db on my ECI line, a bit of artificial management to get highest speeds but caused no end of problems on BBC iplayer/Netflix

Yes, that's why my grey doorstop is unplugged next to my master socket.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »

Couldn't agree more, but it seems that most consumer grade equipment is only supported for a few years no matter who you get it from.  My Zyxel VMG8924-B10A has firmware versions going from 2013 - 2019 but there have been no more since. It does make me think about updating it but finding anything else that works as well on my line is difficult.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 06:29:42 PM »

Rather depends if you use something as a router or bridge/modem.

A bridge isn't really exposed to security issues as its merely acting as a glorified media converter, its basically invisible to both sides.  Them "getting old" is more about their PSUs or capacitors on the mainboard wearing out, than software concerns.

Its when used as a router that its a bigger concern.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sdawson35

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 08:10:33 PM »

Well ive abused my work privilege and got a Cisco ISR C1113  - took around an hour and its all up and working - so far so good - seems nice and solid.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything