Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: VDSL Router Dilemma  (Read 3430 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: VDSL Router Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 05:55:00 PM »

Does it sync up?

Did you power off your existing router or just unplug and plug in the xmg?

I have had to turn off a router 15 minutes, have a cuppa come back and plug in the new equipment for Vodafone to recognise that new hardware is trying to authenticate.

If you have sync that's good news.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 06:01:19 PM »

Can you post a screenshot of your config page as I'm sure we have other forum members using Zyxel kit on Vodafone lines so it should work.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

sdawson35

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »

I have managed to get it working - not sure how but I have access to the internet.
 - Dont use the wizard
 - Dont create a custom a custom wan interface
 - Edit the existing VDSL interface and reboot

Now to see how to sort out the Wifi :~/ - No Wifi is rubbish too - You cannot configure separate SSID's for 2.4/5

However I am really thinking they are not a good choice - their support or least trying to check if you have the latest firmware is nigh on impossible - Why do they make it soo damned hard ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:49:32 PM by sdawson35 »

hopkins35

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »

Firmware downloads here: ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/XMG3927-B50A/firmware/

Unfortunately Zyxel butchered their website recently making it much harder to find downloads

peteS

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 08:05:42 PM »

I must admit I've not been impressed when I played with my VMG (older of course).  In fact, I was pretty unimpressed with most of it, apart from as a bridged modem.  I've found it rock solid, logging access is great, and I even managed to get the VOIP ports working in bridge mode.  Spend £10 on a VMG and your 2860+8924 is a great combination, and isolates your problem to your WAPs.

I'm biased of course - 2 box solutions are just the way to go I think.

hopkins35

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »

Spend £10 on a VMG and your 2860+8924 is a great combination, and isolates your problem to your WAPs.

I'm biased of course - 2 box solutions are just the way to go I think.

Completely agree

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »

... You cannot configure separate SSID's for 2.4/5

However I am really thinking they are not a good choice - their support or least trying to check if you have the latest firmware is nigh on impossible - Why do they make it soo damned hard ?

According to the user guide (ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/XMG3927-B50A/user_guide/) you can split the SSIDs - see screenshot below.
As mentioned Zyxel have recently revamped butchered their website, and in doing so have removed support references for any equipment that is/was generally supplied to ISPs - which I think is the case for the XMG3927 router.

parkdale

• Reg Member
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

peteS

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »

According to the user guide (ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/XMG3927-B50A/user_guide/) you can split the SSIDs - see screenshot below.
As mentioned Zyxel have recently revamped butchered their website, and in doing so have removed support references for any equipment that is/was generally supplied to ISPs - which I think is the case for the XMG3927 router.

As you say, the site's completely useless nowadays.  Do you have the login details for the ftp site - i get prompted for credentials.  Not that I need them too much as I'm using custom firmware on my vmg, but nice to have...

ta

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »

As you say, the site's completely useless nowadays.  Do you have the login details for the ftp site - i get prompted for credentials.  Not that I need them too much as I'm using custom firmware on my vmg, but nice to have...

ta

You don't need any login details, but if you're using Chrome as your browser they've disabled ftp functionality recently and you need to re-enable it at chrome://flags (search for 'ftp' on that page).

sdawson35

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 06:46:02 PM »

Hi All,

So inspite of my misgivings I have had several days of rock solid performance, both cabled and WiFi. I have decided to leave everything alone but I also have a tale of caution.

According to Zyxel the XMG is NOT a domestic product but carrier or ISP and therefore they will NOT provide any support whatsoever.

So I think its wrong of Amazon, Ballicom, Broadbandbuyer to name the 3 most common to be selling these to joe public. A case of buyer beware and do your research  - Personally dont buy it - there are other options just as good that ARE supported by the manufacturer.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 08:31:42 PM »

Edit: read that as VMG and not XMG.

I'm not sure Zyxel are right on that. There are definitely XMG retail devices.

2nd edit: Zyxel ARE the seller on Amazon.... they are taking nonsense.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TZXLHD6/

There are threads on this forum with Zyxel giving support for XMG devices.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:42:34 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2021, 12:32:37 AM »

Agree with what Chunkers said earlier. If you are fed up with the wireless function’s level of sophistication or performance in the wireless router, get one or two separate WAPs chosen to be the best at what they do and let the router just be a router, turning off its own wifi.

sdawson35

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »

Hi All,

I have returned the Zyxel XMG to Amazon and posted an unfavourable review. Am now using the Vodafone provided router - Its crap but hey ho - Once I get my money refunded I will probably just buy a TP-Link router and 2 TP-Link WAP's. 

My demands for internet access exceed the capability of the Vodafone router and speed/service available from the exchange, so I either need to scale back on what I am trying/wanting/needing to do or get another broadband line provided but even that seems too complicated for Openreach to achieve.   

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 08:01:51 AM »

Given your comments from a few days ago I'm a little surprised that you've returned it but do understand your issue with lack of support from Zyxel. I think you may have been unlucky with who you spoke with there as other forum members have had support assistance. Usually Zyxel just ask for the serial number of the device and if identified as a retail purchased unit are happy to assist. They will politely shut the door on you if you have an ISP supplied device as I have experienced that myself.
With respect to getting a second line that should be achievable too, but what will be more difficult is if you wish to bond them together as few ISPs offer the facility and those that do are expensive.
What are you trying to get to work that your current setup won't do by the way?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:05:05 AM by tubaman »
Pages: 1 [2] 3