Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weather protection for ethernet cables?  (Read 2018 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Weather protection for ethernet cables?
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:57:02 AM »

One of my CCTV NVR cameras as always had a problem after it as been raining. It doesn't happen during the rain but after. The only thing I can put it down to is that camera ethernet cable is laid on the roof of the extension (the other 2 are going along walls). So I'm thinking that the water over time is somehow getting in to the cable as its laying there.

The problem is with that particular cable it goes through parts of the house I can't reach (in to the loft) etc. But I think the main problem is outside on the roof. I know there are weather proof ethernet cables. This could be one as it came with the SWANN camera. But I can't really replace the whole cable because of where it is.

So my question is, does anyone recommend something I can manually wrap around the outside of the cable (the part outside the house) that will help protect it against the water as its laid there?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Weather protection for ethernet cables?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:58:35 PM »

Amazon market some ethernet cables as ‘outdoor’, such as the 50m one I have just bought. I’m intending to put my network cable inside nylon-ribbed semi-flexible pipe though, to keep all water out, as well as protecting against mechanical intrusion.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:46:21 PM »

Hose pipe, sealed at both ends to keep the water out. As I have said elsewhere, I have had coax cables going to various aerials and and a satellite dish out in the garden, with everything working as installed after many years in the ground. PVC cables do allow water to get in, if left in water. Under ground cables are often filled with grease and metal barrier fitted to prevent this.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 12:00:39 PM »

RevK briefly touched on cable types in this recent rant: https://www.revk.uk/2021/02/rj45-crimp-tool.html
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 10:26:39 PM »

What I am puzzled about is the fact water getting into the cable does not cause a continuous fault to your camera. Years ago I wanted  to quickly get my 12 volt battery supply extended to my new shed. I saw a lump of mains orange extension cable  laying around, so I dug a long groove in my lawn and placed the cable carrying 12V  into the ground and buried it. A few years later the -ve earth wire disappeared. I temporarily made the supply good by connecting the -ve to the mains supply earth. Ultimately I dug up my old 12V cable feed and found that the -ve wire had corroded away. I replaced the 12V feed by putting  a new cable into hose pipe, and that has lasted for years. Hope no electricians are looking at this reply................

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

It is very weird. I only get problems with the camera after it has rained (during it still tends to work). The picture will keep cutting out, so the time will keep jumping as it jumps frames, and then it'll freeze the picture on that camera and when I reset the cameras it won't show, the other 2 will act normal through-out all this.

I think at some point I need to setup a new camera system. It would be good to be able to use a wifi setup instead of ethernet cables. But powering the cameras will be the issue. I wonder if there is a small solar powered panel that could attach to the cameras that would supply it with enough power?

Wera

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »

RevK briefly touched on cable types in this recent rant: https://www.revk.uk/2021/02/rj45-crimp-tool.html
I have got to get me one of those pass through crimpers!

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »

So I found out that the camera had 2 cable connected, and the second one (the shortest) had rolled down the roof and in to the gutter. So the cable must have degraded over time while in the water.

I managed to change that cable and now tied it so it won't role down again.

I wonder if when items say for outdoor use they mean they are waterproof? I'm thinking not?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 03:33:06 PM »

I wonder if when items say for outdoor use they mean they are waterproof? I'm thinking not?

This site has the details pretty well covered https://cctvdirect.co.uk/news/ip-ratings/

The real kicker is I discovered the hard way my e-bike is not well rated, as the electrics packed in during a heavy rain storm.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:36:10 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors