Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is anyone else noticing some 5ghz WiFi devices refuse to talk to 5ghz WiFi  (Read 1045 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I have in front of me an Amazon Fire 8 and 10 HD, and a virgin TiVo box.

These three devices pretend 5ghz WiFi doesn't exist unless its being broadcast on channels 36 to 48 (5180 to 5240).

While I understand that these are the non-dfs channels in the UK, it really makes the non-dfs channels congested when you see all your neighbours broadcasting on the same 5ghz channels.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Sadly yes, although its gotten better.  Generally higher end hardware will support DFS whereas lower end devices they wont pay the extra to get it validated.

There's been even more annoying situations where companies like Ubiquiti will release a Access Point not supporting DFS, instead choosing to add support at some random time later.

This is why WiFi 6e is such a big deal, as it should have most of the benefits of 5Ghz (as its slightly above those channels in 6Ghz) while not needing DFS.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I see it gets worse when you look at the UNII-2e channels:

Code: [Select]
Apple iOS devices are programmed to only scan UNII-2 Extended channels every 6th cycle?!
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/iPhone_roam/b_iPhone-roaming.html

I'd have considered iOS devices high end solutions.
I was considering a unifi 6 access point, until I realised it is limited by the ethernet port.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

I was considering a unifi 6 access point, until I realised it is limited by the ethernet port.

Yeah its a bit of a joke considering the price.  A short term solution I got a Honor Router 3 for £30, for that its totally worth being limited to under a Gigabit.  But where is the logic of a supposedly SOHO Access Point having that limitation?

Worse than that, the product they are touting as a replacement for the nanoHD, only has 2x2 MIMO vs the nanoHD having 4x4.  Now I haven't been able to show MU-MIMO making a blind bit of difference, especially with only a Gigabit port.  But in principle it seems bonkers for a higher model, costing more, to have a downgrade in functionality.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors