Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Line Speed Decrease  (Read 1782 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line Speed Decrease
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »

So it looks as if the DLM process has lowered the DS target SNRM to 4 dB.

If the circuit remains stable, the DLM process may make one final reduction of the DS target SNRM to 3 dB . . . with a resulting increase in the DS synchronisation and throughput speeds.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »

Fingers crossed! I’ll keep an eye on it the next day or two

Thanks!

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 01:59:53 PM »

Sorry to drag up an old thread here but my line is getting worse and worse.

It dropped overnight on Sunday from around 55Mb to 18Mb. EE sent one of their guys round (who didn't do much), Openreach came the day after and did some line tests. With the EE box, there were faults. Without it there were none. So EE sent me a new box.

That came today but my speeds have not changed. I also have no dial tone on the line (tested on the test socket as well as the faceplate socket)

I just randomly went to check the BTw checker and the speeds on there have drastically changed...

Back in Feb it was this:
Featured Products   Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)   Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)   Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)   WBC FTTC Availability Date   WBC SOGEA Availability Date   Left in Jumper
High   Low   High   Low           
VDSL Range A (Clean)    71.1   49   19   12.5   43   Available   Available   --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)    69.4   44.5   18.7   11.3   35   Available   Available   --

And now it's this:
Featured Products   Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)   Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)   Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)   WBC FTTC Availability Date   WBC SOGEA Availability Date   Left in Jumper
High   Low   High   Low           
VDSL Range A (Clean)    50.5   35   9.5   6.6   30   Available   Available   --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)    49.2   32.4   9.4   6.2   25   Available   Available   --

What could have caused such a drop in these speeds??

My neighbour's hasn't budged at all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2021, 07:08:04 PM »

I also have no dial tone on the line (tested on the test socket as well as the faceplate socket)

Assuming you expect the telephony service to be working, i.e. to receive a dial tone, then there is a line fault. In Openreach-speak, you have a "one leg dis". A broadband service will continue to operate, with severely degraded speed, with one wire of the pair disconnected.

Just report a telephony fault to whoever provides your service (don't mention anything related to your broadband service). Once the pair is remade whole, your broadband service will recover.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 04:15:28 AM »

I still marvel at the concept that a single wire can somehow still work at all.  Is this due to it effectively acting like a radio signal in that scenario?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »

Had so many issues this year... I cannot wait for FTTP to arrive!

OR engineer is here now

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2021, 04:23:31 PM »

I still marvel at the concept that a single wire can somehow still work at all.  Is this due to it effectively acting like a radio signal in that scenario?

xDSL technology is just usage of two extremely low power radio-frequency transceivers (the xTU-C and xTU-R) linked together by a transmission line (the telephony twisted pair). Sever one leg of that radio-frequency transmission line and there is a good chance that the circuit will continue to operate but with severely degraded performance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »

Agrees with Alex, it does seem miraculous. Think of a slinky, if you can remember those wire helix toys from the 1970s. Or think of compression of air in acoustics. Temporarily, you can get away without having a current return path because there is charge storage available provided by capacitance. You just cannot transmit dc of course, but you can transmit high frequencies.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:21:52 AM by Weaver »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything