Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Line Speed Decrease  (Read 1794 times)

Lostinthewoods

Line Speed Decrease
« on: February 24, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »

Hey guys

Long story short I went FTTC when my cab went live and was happily getting around 70-76Mb/s. Gradually this has gone down over time and since January I've been capped at 40Mb/s every resync. Called EE and I've had 2 Openreach visits and the summary is EE are now not able to offer me anything above their 40Mb/s package.

This is despite me being able to get it previously and my neighbour (I know there may be other things affecting this) being able to order 60-80Mb with Zen.

I just don't get it. Something must have changed somewhere, no?

Is there anything I can do?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Line Speed Decrease
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »

Sounds like increasing crosstalk as more and more neighbours have connected to FTTC, no? In that case, nothing can be done apart from, going to FTTP if available or going to bonded dual links (double speed) as I do. I have four very slow ADSL links bonded together.

See if you can find out about FTTP availability. Infinitely more reliable as well as faster.

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »

Yeah that's what I thought but I don't get how my neighbour gets offered such vastly increased speed than me? This is true for several of the houses in our close.

The BTw checker also lists higher speeds than EE have said they can offer me

We have no FTTP available, although CityFibre have started building the other end of our city so may be available in the next 4-5 years...!

Who do you get your bonded supply through?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:43:47 AM by Lostinthewoods »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »

It would be rather unusual for crosstalk to lower the speed that much. Are you able to provide any stats from your connection? Also, can you check your expected speed with the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker and copy the result here (with personal information removed).
  Eric

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »

Sure -

Up/Down
Data Rate: 16.20Mbs/49.89Mbs
Max Data Rate: 16.2Mbs/50.39Mbs
Noise Margin: 6.1/4.1
Line attenuation: 25.2/18.5
Signal attenuation: 25.1/18.5

I'm currently syncing at a higher rate than the maximum EE says my line can get

BTw checker:
Featured Products   Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)   Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)   Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)   WBC FTTC Availability Date   WBC SOGEA Availability Date   Left in Jumper
High   Low   High   Low            
VDSL Range A (Clean)    71.1   49   19   12.5   43   Available   Available   --
VDSL Range B (Impacted)    69.4   44.5   18.7   11.3   35   Available   Available   --

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »

Those figures don't give much encouragement unfortunately. Have you checked your own home wiring for anything which could degrade the signal? If it's possible for you to do, plugging the modem into the test socket (inside the master socket) would eliminate the home wiring from the connection. (Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know).

If that doesn't help, then hopefully someone else will have some ideas.
  Eric

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »

I'll have to have a hunt around for a filter to use the test socket - I've got a splitter faceplate so use an RJ11 cable to the socket

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 04:44:56 PM »

You were getting circa 70Mbps you say,  and your connections now show circa 50Mbps - I lost about 18Mbps to cross-talk on my own line.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 05:07:15 PM »

I lost 13Mbit since being on Openreach, or 33Mbit if you count from when I had Digital Region.

If you include the attainable rate I had on Openreach then I'm about 53Mbit below what I had when nobody else was using the cabinet.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:14:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 08:12:25 AM »

You were getting circa 70Mbps you say,  and your connections now show circa 50Mbps - I lost about 18Mbps to cross-talk on my own line.
Do you mean from internal phone lines etc?

I have no phones plugged in anywhere in my house

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »

Cross-talk, is basically interference from other circuits that are in the same distribution cable as you, from the green street cabinets through to where your own circuit 'drops off' to your house.

If you were customer 1 to go 'live' on FTTC broadband, then you would not suffer CT, as soon as customer 2 goes 'live', CT is introduced. It all depends on where in the distribution cable your circuit lies, and how many other circuits around you are also on FTTC, as to how much CT will affect your circuits performance.

There are other factors too, but to keep it in laymans terms, there's nothing you can do about it I'm afraid - it is what it is.

The only thing you can affect change on and maximise your speed/stability etc ... is the internal wiring set up within your premises. Too deep to go into as I simply haven't time to explain, but there's loads of people on here that can help, and/or start searching for ... 'star-wiring effects on broadband' ... 'bridged tap effects on broadband' ... got to go, but I'm sure someone will find the Kitz link that will assist you ??

Cheers.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 02:52:48 PM »

That reduction is on the high end but it does happen, BT's VDSL trials showed up to 40% loss in sync speed for unlucky lines, my own line has dropped from circa 110 attainable to as low as mid 60s in the past (it even got to as low as 50 but that was accepted as a fault so not counted), currently at mid to high 70s. 

I am one of the lucky one's, others on my pole have speeds in the 50s.  I am almost 30mbit above my handback threshold, which shows how powerful crosstalk can get.

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:30 AM »

In a weird twist my sync speed has been climbing. Currently on 53.01Mb/s.

Could this be due to some reset the engineer did when he replaced some cabling?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:17:25 AM by Lostinthewoods »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »

In a weird twist my sync speed has been climbing. Currently on 53.01Mb/s.

Could this be due to some reset the engineer did when he replaced some cabling?

Difficult to say without sight of the full statistics both pre- and post- cabling replacement.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Lostinthewoods

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 07:58:08 AM »

Stats now are:

Up/Down
Data Rate: 16.08Mbs/53.01Mbs
Max Data Rate: 16.90Mbs/54.23Mbs
Noise Margin: 6.2/3.8
Line attenuation: 25.3/18.5
Signal attenuation: 25.2/18.5
Pages: [1] 2