Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ingress/Egress violation  (Read 1194 times)

The_nuke

• Just arrived
Ingress/Egress violation
« on: February 22, 2021, 04:46:39 PM »

Hi all.

Does anybody know what ingress and egress violations are and whether they are cause for concern? I have tried searching on the internet but can’t get a real answer. I take it they are different from fec,ES and SES? How do these ingress/egress violations affect the broadband service? Thank you

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Ingress/Egress violation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 07:22:58 PM »

Do you have a field for errored seconds?  I'd expect it to mean something like that as its the only thing explicitly referred to as violations on the Kits explanation page and it makes sense it would be a complete failure to understand the data.  https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:33:53 PM »

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

Does anybody know what ingress and egress violations are and whether they are cause for concern?

You will need to give some background context before anyone, possibly, will be able to answer.
  • Who provides your service?
  • Is there anything special about your service?
  • What device is reporting the violations?
  • When do you see those ingress or egress violations occur?
. . . fec,ES and SES?

Forward Error Corrections, Errored Seconds and Severely Errored Seconds. Exactly as their full names specifiy.

Site pages that may be relevant: Line Stats and Errors and BT's DLM Process
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:10 PM »

They are merely a different name for I think CRCs listed on the GEA service test results.

The_nuke

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »

Well Error seconds and severe error seconds are 0. Unavailable seconds is also 0. Ingress code violation is 0 but egress code violation is in the 1000s. Openreach engineer has been out and showed me the results on his tester and there was no errors on his tester and had good speeds etc but he doesn’t have anything on there that shows egress or ingress.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »

They are merely a different name for I think CRCs listed on the GEA service test results.

Ah, that stirs a vague memory from in the deepest recesses of my mind. Thank you.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:05:55 AM »

That makes sense. Assume 'ingress' is for download and 'egress' is for upload?
It's very odd however to have thousands of CRCs, assuming that is what they are, without any ES to go with them.

@The_nuke, please can we have a screenshot showing the error counts to help better understand what is happening here.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

The_nuke

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »

Thank you all for your help so far. The test was one the openreach engineer was using called a woosh fibre test. The normal gea service test came back ok and on his tester there wasn’t no errors but when put through to my router and he ran this woosh test it came back with egress violations but everything else was 0. The engineer said my D side is aluminium so just wanted to see if this egress violation is errors I need to worry about. Look someone said above me it could be crcs but seems strange to have 1000s of crcs and no ES. Plus the engineer didn’t have any crcs in his tester.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »

Are you still getting the errors in normal use - if not there's nothing to worry about?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

anything