Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Firebrick finally adding automatic uplink speed detection  (Read 4254 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Firebrick finally adding automatic uplink speed detection
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 07:03:09 PM »

And they might release a later beta I suppose. I wonder if I should simply do nothing and ignore later betas, or install them. If they stick to my understanding of ‘beta’, which is that a beta release is feature-complete and contains no known bugs, then later betas will contain only bug fixes and no other changes.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 09:14:31 PM »

Didn't I read that the Firebrick have firmware "slots" so rolling back is as  simply as a reboot?  Seems not much to lose from updating.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »

It does have firmware slots. I believe that if a newly installed o/s crashes under certain conditions, then it reboots and switches back to the earlier version. The boot loader and associated systems seem rather well-designed.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 10:45:17 PM »

b*cat nods in agreement. That is what I recall reading, some time ago.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »

I read one has 10 slots which seems seriously overkill but I guess if you have the NAND space then why not.  That may have been the datacentre-grade model though.

I'm really surprised they haven't released new models by now though as 750Mbits/sec seems a bit low now Gigabit is spreading across the country.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 01:00:09 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »

I'm really surprised they haven't released new models by now though as 750Mbits/sec seems a bit low now Gigabit is spreading across the country.

That is something to which CarlT occasionally alludes . . . end-users' CPEs incapable of switching Gigabit Ethernet connections.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2021, 05:58:33 PM »

> I'm really surprised they haven't released new models by now though as 750Mbits/sec seems a bit low now

I agree. A faster processor or maybe more accelerator hardware might be needed. The FB2900 is the upgraded version of the FB2700 which can route around 350Mbps. I don’t know what the speed of the FB2900’s big brother the FB6000 series is, but that’s horribly expensive at something like £12k [!] and so that’s only for ISPs and corporates, and I don’t think even that is fast enough for 10Gbps flows.

I really wish they would add QoS support into the Bricks. They get away with not having it by having a heuristic which is that small packets have priority, so eg TCP ACKs, VoIP or streaming video packets, and DNS lookups get prioritised.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2021, 11:41:51 PM »

Its the FB2900 that says approximately 750Mbits on the homepage.

Even the FB6000 range only have 2xGigabit ports, presumably why AAISP only allow L2TP up to 100Mbit as you don't get a whole lot of customers out of each box.
Pages: 1 2 [3]