Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sky - any reason not to use them?  (Read 3377 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Sky - any reason not to use them?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 03:13:42 AM »

You can switch from SOGEA back to a PSTN+DSL package.

A new number would be assigned.

The real question is, for how long?  I'd assume being able to move back will be suspended some time in advance of PSTN switch-off, so that as many people as possible will migrate off PSTN before having to force the rest to do so.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 08:50:38 AM »

I think you still need line rental with someone for that option? Unless I’ve read it wrong which is definitely possible lol. They are a local company as well, so would consider supporting them.

I had assumed it was their SOGEA offering, but looking again, I think you may be right (although it doesn't definitively say you need line rental with another provider).

Another option is Freeola.  £24.98 a month with silent line rental.  You still have a phone line and can receive incoming calls, just not make outgoing calls.  30 day contracts for FTTC like IDNet.

I am an IDNet customer so not putting you off that option at all.  I like the fact that they have a number of backhaul providers and will shift you to a different backhaul to try and resolve any problems.  They have moved me from TTB to Zen and eventually BTw backhaul to resolve single thread speed test issues.  In general their support has been exemplary when needed, however we did have three days of slow internet over the Easter weekend that they never found a cause for.  I found some Sky customers  on NextDoor who were having similar problems, so almost certainly it was down to an OR issue of some sort, however they were unable to shed any light on it.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 04:48:41 PM »

You can switch from SOGEA back to a PSTN+DSL package.

A new number would be assigned.
Thanks j0hn.

I had assumed it was their SOGEA offering, but looking again, I think you may be right (although it doesn't definitively say you need line rental with another provider).

Another option is Freeola.  £24.98 a month with silent line rental.  You still have a phone line and can receive incoming calls, just not make outgoing calls.  30 day contracts for FTTC like IDNet.

I am an IDNet customer so not putting you off that option at all.  I like the fact that they have a number of backhaul providers and will shift you to a different backhaul to try and resolve any problems.  They have moved me from TTB to Zen and eventually BTw backhaul to resolve single thread speed test issues.  In general their support has been exemplary when needed, however we did have three days of slow internet over the Easter weekend that they never found a cause for.  I found some Sky customers  on NextDoor who were having similar problems, so almost certainly it was down to an OR issue of some sort, however they were unable to shed any light on it.
I'll drop Aquiss a message, see if they do SOGEA. I've also asked IDNet about which backhaul they use, came back that it was BTw for the SOGEA product. Perhaps they use BTw for most (all?) customers now?

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 05:19:49 PM »

Aquiss use Entanet as their supplier afaik, so will be tied to the Entanet (or is it CityFibre) offerings.

IDNet used to use Zen wholesale as their default backhaul, I suspect because it was cheaper for them, but don't know whether that is still the case.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 07:10:06 PM »

Andrews and Arnold were talking about their long-standing desire to sell lines with no phone service, something which is completely useless since they don’t provide telephone support - they make you use VoIP or simply buy a voice service elsewhere.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 03:38:58 PM »

Heard back from Aquiss. They don't do SOGEA as yet. They are definitely an option though. Over 12 months, the price works out around the same as I'm paying Zen (with the 3 months @£22, then £42 for Option 3 + phone). Noticed last night that the place I work at use Entanet or a reseller of them, not sure who. It's only an ADSL2+ line but it's been rock solid as far as I can tell.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 11:03:15 PM »

I've gone with Sky in the end. Was kindly given a friend and family code which has brought the price down to £23 month. Was waiting for a local FTTP provider (Exascale) to possibly drop a flyer through the letterbox, this is apparently how they are announcing new areas, according to their Twitter feed. But even if this area is going to be covered, it's probably realistically at least a year away.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 11:50:52 PM »

I still remember us getting the Virgin Media flyer, then they got bought out and the expansion stopped at the park. :(
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »

I'm with Sky and it's fine, had for 9 years now.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox
Pages: 1 [2]

anything