Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zen -- is "unlimited" truly unlimited?  (Read 2504 times)

beniamino

Zen -- is "unlimited" truly unlimited?
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »

I have some annoying remote-work issues that would most easily be solved by downloading about 2TB of data from work to my home computer. I would download about 100GB a day for 20 days in a row, in addition to our normal monthly usage of 0.5 to 1 TB. We have Zen's Unlimited Fibre 2, but I am uncertain about the "unlimited" part. Is downloading 3TB in a month going to cause any problems, such as rate limiting, "fair usage" policy, caps, etc.? When the family's entire life is online, I can't afford to upset the ISP!

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Zen -- is "unlimited" truly unlimited?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »

I think you have no problem. All “unlimited “ is however normally  subject to fair use terms, in your contract.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 12:29:25 AM »

Yes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:35:24 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

beniamino

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »

cool, thanks Alex

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:29 PM »

I think you have no problem. All “unlimited “ is however normally  subject to fair use terms, in your contract.

I actually went looking in their acceptable use policy and can't find anything about fair usage.  It kinda makes sense as Zen aim for a zero contention network and if this is the usage I pull on 60Mbit VDSL, imagine what I could do on 900Mbit FTTP and its not proportionately more expensive to how much more bandwidth I could use (rightly so, as the ISP wont be paying for bandwidth use, just pipe size).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:36:38 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »

I've never seen anything about a FUP. I don't often exceed 1 TB download anyway. :)

You'll be fine, as others have said.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:55:17 PM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »

I got thrown off Pipex ADSLMax within 2 months because I "downloaded too much" when it was unlimited. I contested it and immediately cancelled the direct debit. They kept ringing my house, but I was at work during the day (2006) - my Dad told them to put it in writing and they never done. Fun times.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 09:09:21 AM »

I actually went looking in their acceptable use policy and can't find anything about fair usage.  It kinda makes sense as Zen aim for a zero contention network and if this is the usage I pull on 60Mbit VDSL, imagine what I could do on 900Mbit FTTP and its not proportionately more expensive to how much more bandwidth I could use (rightly so, as the ISP wont be paying for bandwidth use, just pipe size).

Actually ISPs do pay per Mbit/s/month for traffic across BT Wholesale or other wholesale providers, and for some traffic leaving their network.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 09:04:48 PM »

Actually ISPs do pay per Mbit/s/month for traffic across BT Wholesale or other wholesale providers, and for some traffic leaving their network.

Has this always been the case or just on how it works now?  I could have sworn they didn't used to on the old system.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 09:10:38 PM »

You're thinking of 20CN Capacity Based Charging.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 02:53:12 AM »

You're thinking of 20CN Capacity Based Charging.

Indeed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »

>> rightly so, as the ISP wont be paying for bandwidth use, just pipe size <<

That doesn't quite make sense to me.   Regardless if its CBC, WBC or WMBC as the more bandwidth the EU uses, then the more capacity the SP has to purchase in order to prevent congestion.  "Pipe size" requirements are based upon EU usage requirements.

With CBC the ISP had to ensure they bought sufficient centrals to cover peak demand.   So if for example their customers were downloading 100GB of data at peak, then they need to ensure they purchased sufficient pipes to meet 100GB*.    Although CBC didn't actually charge for metered bandwidth, the necessity was there to purchase more pipes to meet the heavier downloaders. 
If an ISP had EU's that didnt download very much then they could allow more users to connect to that central without it being hot... and they could perhaps get away with just purchasing a few 622Mb pipes.   

More than any other product, CBC was _the_ product that made ISPs care about how much bandwidth their customers used.   It could make the difference between an ISP having to buy say 4x 622Mb pipe or 6x 622Mbp pipes per 100k* customers.     So although BTw didn't charge per monitored bandwidth, the ISP was actively forced to purchase more centrals based on customers [peak] usage.  When each 622 central pipe cost circa ~£1.75 million per month, then although BTw weren't monitoring bandwith**,  the ISPs sure as hell had to.

With 21CN/WBC the ISP purchases a 'MSIL' that gives the SP access to the 21CN backhaul.  Cost to the SP depends upon how much bandwidth they rent.   More info about the MSILs and APs on the page I just linked to.   

The ISP still has to ensure that they have sufficient capacity, but what has made the big difference these days is the use of Wave Division Multiplexing (WDM) technology used in the 21CN platform has substantially increased bandwidth availability & reduced the cost of bandwidth on the back-hauls.

-----
*made up figures. 
** not strictly true as BTw policed the centrals to ensure pipes routinely weren't at near 100% capacity.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »

Well I was talking about Zen aiming for their own backhaul across the entire network which would mean the cost is down to having big enough pipes alone.  Obviously not free, but more manageable.

Presumably transit links is where the big costs are when getting out of the Zen network?

I'd think that major bandwidth hogs like Netflix and Amazon get offset my having local caches at the ISP, and torrent traffic would largely be over peering agreements?

>> rightly so, as the ISP wont be paying for bandwidth use, just pipe size <<

That doesn't quite make sense to me.   Regardless if its CBC, WBC or WMBC as the more bandwidth the EU uses, then the more capacity the SP has to purchase in order to prevent congestion.  "Pipe size" requirements are based upon EU usage requirements.

With CBC the ISP had to ensure they bought sufficient centrals to cover peak demand.

On the surface it might seem a stupid comment, but I was referring to Zen aiming for a zero-contention network by having entirely their own backhaul.

Obviously there are still costs, but as long as the heavy users are spread across the network it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

I will admit, I made a poor choice of wording though.

** not strictly true as BTw policed the centrals to ensure pipes routinely weren't at near 100% capacity.

My experience on Plusnet back in the day would suggest otherwise. ;)  I remember it being a big deal that you had to drop PPP session periodically as the customer base would end up disproportionately assigned to the same pipe, leaving the other barely used.  So everyone would be having unnecessary contention issues.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:43:26 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

anything