Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Locked out  (Read 1057 times)

relogin

• Just arrived
HG612 Locked out
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:04 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have bought a HG612 and I immediately put the unlocked firmware on with web GUI. So fine so good.

In the web GUI i set the modem to go from IP passthrough to PPPoE. I also ticked that this would work on both LAN1 and LAN2 ethernet (not just WAN 1).

After clicking apply. I can no longer reach the web interface on either Lan port, nor ping etc...

I tried to factory reset it by long holding the reset nothing. But I can always get it back into the bootloader mode where it allows me to update the firmware. After every firmware update to either the unlocked or webgui firmware versions I get the same issue where I can not access or ping 192.168.1.1 .

Is there a way to factory reset it to revert the changes I made about using PPPoE on Lan2? I tried doing the "long reset" and I haven't been able to access this web panel.

The PPPoE is working, as I am using it now to connect. So the modem is working in that respect.

Am I doing anything wrong to do a factory reset or long reset?

The HG612 is all booted up synced and internet connected over PPPoE. I hold the reset for 10+ seconds but the modem isn't rebooting. After manual reboot it goes back to how it was where i still cant reach 192.168.1.1 on LAN 2.

I am trying to get access to the stats on my line with this modem. So would like access to this even as pppoe is working.

This is my first post, But i am having am asking for advice if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Thanks

- Relogin

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 Locked out
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 11:20:16 PM »

Hi Everyone,

<snip>

This is my first post, . . .

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

It has been a very long time since I last needed to fully reset a Huawei HG612 modem but, from the remotest corner of my mind, I seem to recall that all the usual problems were the result of not giving the device sufficient time to "do its own thing".

Reading through your post once again, I note that you have configured it to manage the PPPoE session. As you have discovered, it will work but the device is rather under-powered and somewhat sluggish when used other than just as a bridging modem and VLAN end-point.

Here follows is what I would try to recover access to the device.
  • Disconnect all leads.
  • Press and hold the reset button in the operated state. With the other hand, connect the power supply.
  • Count to ten. Now release the reset button.
  • Wait, say, two minutes.
  • Connect a standard Ethernet patch lead to the LAN2 port and the other end to a computer whose network interface has been given a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Any address other than 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.255 will do.
  • Open a web-browser and access the 192.168.1.1 address. The "Update Software" screen should be displayed.
  • Locate the firmware image and enter the file name in the relevant box.
  • Left-click on the "Update Software" button.
  • Leave both the HG612 and the computer alone for, say five minutes. It does not matter that the computer might say that it has a problem in accessing the device. That is perfectly normal.
  • After five minutes have elapsed, power off the HG612 and disconnect the Ethernet patch lead from the LAN2 port.
  • Power on the HG612 and leave it to fully initialise. A couple of minutes will do.
  • Press and hold the reset button for 15 - 20 seconds. Release the button and leave the device re-initialise for, say, two minutes.
  • All being well, the HG612 should now be back to the unlocked, factory default, state. It should be accessible at the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address via the LAN2 port.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

relogin

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:31:42 PM »

Thanks Burakkucat,

I managed to reset it finally. Although I had to deviate from your instructions slightly to get it to work.

Here follows is what I would try to recover access to the device.
  • Disconnect all leads.
  • Press and hold the reset button in the operated state. With the other hand, connect the power supply.
  • Count to ten. Now release the reset button.
  • Wait, say, two minutes.
  • Connect a standard Ethernet patch lead to the LAN2 port and the other end to a computer whose network interface has been given a static IPv4 address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. Any address other than 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.255 will do.
  • Open a web-browser and access the 192.168.1.1 address. The "Update Software" screen should be displayed.
  • Locate the firmware image and enter the file name in the relevant box.
  • Left-click on the "Update Software" button.
  • Leave both the HG612 and the computer alone for, say five minutes. It does not matter that the computer might say that it has a problem in accessing the device. That is perfectly normal.
  • After five minutes have elapsed, power off the HG612 and disconnect the Ethernet patch lead from the LAN2 port.
  • Power on the HG612 and leave it to fully initialise. A couple of minutes will do.
  • Press and hold the reset button for 15 - 20 seconds. Release the button and leave the device re-initialise for, say, two minutes.
  • All being well, the HG612 should now be back to the unlocked, factory default, state. It should be accessible at the 192.168.1.1 IPv4 address via the LAN2 port.

So now I have it powered, Lan2 connected to my laptop. Still no ping. So the next step I did:
  • Press and hold reset for 10-15 seconds while powered on and lan2 connected. The power and Lan leds briefly turn off and on doing this.
  • Wait for a minute or two
  • Can now ping 192.168.1.1 and access web panel!

Thanks for your time Burakkucat, I am cooking on gas again!

I think being a little patient and waiting for the thing to think and get everything in order before a reset was needed.

I guess the modem isn't that sophisticated to allow PPPoE and do basic local lan IP on the same port, like my other modems. I was hoping to keep the cable clutter down. But it's not a massive issue.

- Relogin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:36:44 PM by relogin »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 07:25:00 PM »

I managed to reset it finally.

<snip>

I think being a little patient and waiting for the thing to think and get everything in order before a reset was needed.

Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to know that you have now regained control of the HG612. A good result.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything