Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What on earth just happened?!  (Read 2335 times)

mnotgninnep

Re: What on earth just happened?!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »

Probably a case where the Plusnet IP Profile hasn't caught up with the changes yet. It should fix itself pretty soon, but if it's not working by tomorrow then I'd advise contacting them.

I haven't had access to a Plusnet connection for quite some time, but you might need to drop and restart the PPP session to get it to trigger an update.
Thank you! That was it! Rebooted the UniFi USG without rebooting the modem so I didn’t drop the dsl connection.
ISP: Plusnet / Cab: Broadcom / Distance: ~300m / Modem: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A (Broadcom) / Router: Ubiquiti Unifi USG 3P / LAN: Netgear GS748Tv5 ProSafe 48-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch / WiFi: 3x Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Lite

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »

Their forum might be a place to get it updated.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 09:39:28 PM »

I'm curious, when I synced at 80 I used to pull around 74 down on plain fastpath.  Does G.INP limit the downstream bandwidth more or would the Plusnet profile do so?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 10:03:17 PM »

Does G.INP limit the downstream bandwidth more or would the Plusnet profile do so?

Fastpath gives an IP profile 96.79% of the sync speed.
G.INP Retx Low gives 96.69%
Retx High gives around 91-92%

Those exact figures given above are with Broadcom chipsets and the percentage varies slightly with other chipsets but roughly the same.

For some reason BT Wholesale have been limiting some lines to an IP Profile roughly 88% if the sync speed but i have no idea why this happens.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

mnotgninnep

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 07:01:48 AM »

I'm not sure about broadband (not my area of expertise) but I'm guessing it could be anything from reliability to management. On any network, when you truly saturate a link you start to get some weird behaviour, degradation of service and time-critical things stop working. Latency and ping go through the roof as minor examples. At a guess, to keep the ppp session alive, a small amount of bandwidth should be reserved to guarantee those packets always get through. In schools it's normal to reserve 1Mb on core links for management, that way we're guaranteed remote access even if they're hammering the connection, backup is running or worst case, someone has put an unmanaged switch in, created a network loop and created a broadcast storm the managed switches can't shut down.

Overheads and hardware limitations will also play a factor. On a home network, on a 1Gb link you'll never see a transfer of 128MB/s, it's always around the 900Mb mark because overheads will consume the rest of the bandwidth even though they're not measured. This is in a best case scenario of transferring one large file. Transfer many small ones and it only gets worse.
ISP: Plusnet / Cab: Broadcom / Distance: ~300m / Modem: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A (Broadcom) / Router: Ubiquiti Unifi USG 3P / LAN: Netgear GS748Tv5 ProSafe 48-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch / WiFi: 3x Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Lite

mnotgninnep

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 10:43:15 AM »

As promised, here's the OR report:

Personally identifiable details have been removed.

I should also mention that at no point did anyone from OR contact me or enter my property. The engineer was seen testing the telegraph pole.

I'm not complaining by the way, just a point of observation.

18/02/2021 15:53:00
----------------------
Engineer details

Engineer name:

----------------------
Ring ahead information

Primary customer name:
Contact no:
Call outcome:No answer (VM left if available)
Call outcome to secondary contact no: Not able to ring ahead due to unusable contact details (missing / incorrect / faulty line)

-------------------------------

(No manually entered closure notes)

----------------------
Point Of Intervention notes

Between this point.
- Work Point: PCP25
And this point.
Plant details.
- Plant affected: BIX
- Plant type: JMP
Multiple Intervention?: N

=== QBC Summary Start ===
Customer Report: End customer advised of no dial tone / voice on the line.

Actions to resolve: Engineer has resolved the fault by changing the E-side pair or at PCP. The fault was fixed by removing double jumpering in PCP.

Final alternate test results: Final FastTest performed from the customer premise. The test passed on 18/02/2021 15:46:56.
=== QBC Summary End ===

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »

Bix, Oxfordshire?  ::)

Looks like a new pair from the Exchange to the PCP street cabinet

mnotgninnep

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 11:10:56 AM »

Bix, Oxfordshire?  ::)

Looks like a new pair from the Exchange to the PCP street cabinet

Whetstone, Leicestershire.

This'll be my 3rd pair.

The chap from Plusnet was very keen to point out the double jumpering, whatever that is...

Still perfect sync by the way. Very happy.  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:14 AM »

'Double jumpering' is where an engineer has accidentally terminated another working line on top of your own connection. That is where the 'battery contact' would come from on the test result and the severe disruption to your circuit.

As mooted, the harsher the fault, the easier it is to locate and repair.

PS - the terminating strips in our Cabinets are on the whole BICS (bix) or KRONE, as mentioned in the report. He hasn't done an E-side pair change as mentioned in the wording, that won't have affected your circuit, these things just auto-populate as the drop-down menu's are filled in by the engineer.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 05:12:38 PM »

He hasn't done an E-side pair change as mentioned in the wording, . . . , these things just auto-populate as the drop-down menu's are filled in by the engineer.  :)

Thank you for the explanation. Many a time I have reviewed the notes regarding repairs to one of Weaver's circuits and have seen sections of, quite obviously, nonsense.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »

As promised, here's the OR report:

Personally identifiable details have been removed.

I should also mention that at no point did anyone from OR contact me or enter my property. The engineer was seen testing the telegraph pole.

I'm not complaining by the way, just a point of observation.

I'm hoping that's all they have to do to fix mine tomorrow, but I fear the drop cable might need replacing as a few years back the council contractors put scaffold OVER the drop wire pulling it down tightly.  I was amazed it didn't break (those steel wires along the length sure do a good job) but I wouldn't be surprised if its finally cause a break.  The second line is crackling like crazy, cant even hear the dial tone any more.

As its happened due to high winds, it seems less likely to be the pole to me?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »

Thank you for the explanation. Many a time I have reviewed the notes regarding repairs to one of Weaver's circuits and have seen sections of, quite obviously, nonsense.

Ha ha, indeed so, Mr Cat.

Sometimes the engineer will have to enter what he/she/non-binary person, thinks best suits the activity they've performed. Sometimes they may have performed a plethora of fixes, but can only enter the one primary clear-code (they can of course follow up with good notes in the comments box).

Tech was supposed to make the job easier, but in this case my own personal opinion is that it has muddied the waters for everyone that's concerned.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2021, 12:08:13 PM »

I'm hoping that's all they have to do to fix mine tomorrow, but I fear the drop cable might need replacing as a few years back the council contractors put scaffold OVER the drop wire pulling it down tightly.  I was amazed it didn't break (those steel wires along the length sure do a good job) but I wouldn't be surprised if its finally cause a break.  The second line is crackling like crazy, cant even hear the dial tone any more.

As its happened due to high winds, it seems less likely to be the pole to me?

The 'steely's' don't last forever though, I'm afraid ... and coupled with the scaffers not giving a cr5p about the flying wires, it sounds like there's every chance it's the wire !!

Do yourself a favour and if there is no noise on the line, or they get a good test result back, ask them to whack the wire with their 'Test Rods Telescopic'* then listen for noise again. Or, you whack the wire whilst they try and measure to a 'dis' on their TDR.

*For measuring the height of wires.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2021, 01:22:43 PM »

The 'steely's' don't last forever though, I'm afraid ... and coupled with the scaffers not giving a cr5p about the flying wires, it sounds like there's every chance it's the wire !!

Do yourself a favour and if there is no noise on the line, or they get a good test result back, ask them to whack the wire with their 'Test Rods Telescopic'* then listen for noise again. Or, you whack the wire whilst they try and measure to a 'dis' on their TDR.

*For measuring the height of wires.

Thankfully there's LOTS of noise on the line, can't even hear a dial tone any more.

Test showed 26m but the killer could be risk assessment as its still windy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:47:11 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2021, 04:41:33 PM »

Can't remember where you're based AA ... but the weather looks to calm down from tomorrow, onwards ??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything