Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What on earth just happened?!  (Read 2352 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: What on earth just happened?!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »

One of the hills of Sheffield, but I mentioned it as they were here at the time and I could hear the wind.

They tried shortening the drop but noise was still there so they replaced the whole thing.  Apparently there had been damage from a tree that's been gone for over a decade.

Line attenuation seems slightly improved but strangely Plusnet line is syncing a bit slower than before, probably due to the weather getting warmer.  I assume they must have put a junction on the outside wall as they didn't rewire the sockets indoors.

Gotta admit it was a bit nerve racking that they only tested the Plusnet line despite effectively rewiring both lines, but I totally appreciate the bureaucracy of why that was the case, even if it does seem short sighted.

Nothing they did really came as a surprise obviously considering how much time I spend on here.  Was easy to be all relaxed about it when I was getting 100Mbit off Vodafone while I left both lines turned off so the line replacement wouldn't upset DLM.

I did discover some quirks with pfSense, apparently having the default gateway group with DSL as tier 1 and Voda as tier 2, wouldn't work.  I had to set it to a gateway group where they all are tier 1 before it would allow pfSense itself to send DNS queries over Voda.

So overall a satisfactory solution.  Its a shame due to covid we couldn't offer tea and biscuits.

[EDIT]
Actually strike that, its resynced faster than it ever has before although Plusnet profile not caught up yet.
That could be good or bad, as may mean the HH5A OpenWRT is still unstable with G.INP.  But then again, maybe it will sync higher on the Zyxel now anyway.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:51:23 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

mnotgninnep

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2021, 06:09:21 PM »

If you have a static IP, you will need to call and ask them to put the profile up manually to 80000 as you're "on the old system".

Also, as I disovered above, if you have a separate router/modem, restart the router (not the modem) to re-establish the ppp session to get the new speed. Simply restarting the modem won't do it for some reason.
ISP: Plusnet / Cab: Broadcom / Distance: ~300m / Modem: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A (Broadcom) / Router: Ubiquiti Unifi USG 3P / LAN: Netgear GS748Tv5 ProSafe 48-port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch / WiFi: 3x Ubiquiti UniFi UAP AC Lite

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 11:34:02 PM »

If you have a static IP, you will need to call and ask them to put the profile up manually to 80000 as you're "on the old system".

My profile tends to update okay on its own, but yes it may get stuck at some point.  However as my connection dropped to 20Mbit during the fault but my "current line speed " is showing as 64.2 which matches the initial sync rate AFTER the fault was fixed, no point rushing to get it reset until I know how stable the sync is. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 11:39:24 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]