Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 10G copper ethernet to shed from house  (Read 784 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
10G copper ethernet to shed from house
« on: February 15, 2021, 06:35:32 PM »

I have a large pretty wooden shed near the house, which has a kitchen cum lounge in it with a loo too. It’s for the use of guests who rent Janet’s shepherd huts (her accommodation business) and they can do their own cooking and use it as a lounge or day room as there are big comfortable sofas too. We want to get a wireless LAN going in the shed and experiments have shown that a wired network connection from the house is the only way to go as wireless doesn’t work due to screening in the shed itself.

Janet has measured the distance and 50m should be plenty including everything, vertical drops, interior runs and extra for luck, so I’ve ordered 50m of CAT7 600MHz flat ‘outdoor’ rated copper cable. I have brought in an extremely knowledgable friend who will supply the brains and do the physical work of installation.

We have to get through wood and a solid concrete wall in the upstairs office to reach the outside world. We need to use waterproofed / sealed ducting or piping to protect the ethernet cable from donkeys hooves, rain, and other attacks. Presumably a hole that is angled downwards so that the outside is lower would be a good idea, so as to help to prevent water ingress, but living in such an incredibly wet place we will need to fill the hole around the duct/pipe with some kind of serious sealant. That can be left to the brains of the outfit.

I could do with some practical advice. What type of pipe / duct should I be looking at? Will need 90 degree angle sealed waterproof connectors on it where it goes into the house wall and then runs sideways or downwards. I want to put draw string in the pipe/duct and leave it there for posterity. Tips on feeding string through 50m of pipe ? Use a magnet ?

I have never worked with flat ethernet cables before. These are meant for 10G ethernet so they should be fairly future proofed for me, and I have the draw string if I ever need to replace them going optical or to have even higher interconnect bandwidth. At the moment I don’t have a 10G switch so it’s just a matter of looking ahead.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 10G copper ethernet to shed from house
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:34:01 PM »

I would probably have gone fibre just for electrical isolation but I can understand that would increase the cost dramatically due to needing new kit at both sides to handle it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

btjtaylor

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:50:19 AM »

Not sure about the duct but you can hire a cable rodding system for this purpose, something like https://www.hss.com/hire/p/duct-rod-120m-x-9mm

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:18:58 PM »

Re pipe.
Not sure if you intend to put it in the ground or not but a very tough pipe would be MDPE eg like this
https://www.toolstation.com/mdpe-pipe/p11290     or larger Dia.

I think B4RN use something similar and the fittings.

Best way to get a string through it, if you have a Air compressor.
1..Get a small piece of foam rubber, or piece of cloth,
2..tie a knot around it on some 'string', push it in the end of the pipe but make sure it's not to tight a fit,
3..then blow air into the pipe and wait for the string  to come out the other end.
Once the string is through tie a thicker rope to it and pull that through.

Then tape (I use insulation tape) the end of your cable to Plus any extra 'Draw Rope' to your draw rope, then have someone pulling at one end of the pipe and have another person feeding the cable and extra draw rope in.

Another way is to push the cable into the pipe before it's installed and maybe tape some string to it and pull that in at the same time.

In a past life we used to feed a steel draw wire in to Conduit then attach up to 25 cables to it and 'Winch' the cables in and your fingers if you did not keep them out of the way.
45 years later those circuits are still working  :D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 10:34:36 PM »

wow, thanks for the generous reply.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »

I've used a vacuum cleaner to suck string through with a bit of cotton wool, or kitchen towel tied on the end, worked a treat, but not sure it will work with a really long pipe.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 09:49:20 PM »

Weaver, Do donkeys eat plastic, and do they dig?  If they do eat plastic, perhaps a metal guard on your walls, of the sort that BT use to protect their cables near ground level on their poles. If your donkeys like to dig, you may need some protection for your cable in the ground.
I think I mentioned before, that I have had coax cable inserted in hose pipes in the ground that have lasted for years, But I did make sure the hoses were closed at the ends with tape or bathroom filler to stop water getting into them.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »

Donkeys don’t eat plastic as far as I know, but they are keen on getting into mischief. You raise a very good point. I’ll have to ask my wife what she thinks about donkey misdemeanours. Janet is looking into getting ribbed nylon pipe, I think that’s what it is, in hard rings with flexible sections in between then, which is what we used for satellite coax. Where we laid a run to the satellite dish, we placed stone slabs over the nylon.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 10:16:28 PM »

Having  a one year old J.R/B.T. puppy dog who chews everything, and digs my lawn up at the moment, means animal behaviour is well in the front of my mind. I have a lot of repair work to carry out when the spring comes..............................

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »

Janet says donkeys will chew on rubber tubing etc, they will muck about with anything they can get; eg buckets.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 09:22:40 PM »

Janet is looking into getting ribbed nylon pipe, I think that’s what it is, in hard rings with flexible sections in between then.

It's not robust enough in your situation. !

You need to bury the pipe, that's if you can get into the ground with the rocks :) 450mm deep is the recommended depth .

The other method to get string  through a pipe is to

1..Catch a 'Mouse' .
2..Tie the string to it's tail.
3.. Get a piece of cheese.
4.. Show the mouse and let it smell it.
5.. Place cheese at other end of pipe..
6.. Tell mouse to find cheese and place it in the end on pipe.
7.. Mouse comes out of other end of the pipe pulling the string with it.
8.. Un-tie string from mouse.
9.. Let mouse eat the cheese and then dispose.
10.. Tie thicker rope to string and pull through.
11.. Job done, have a cup of Tea. ;D

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:37:27 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »

I was thinking about burying the pipe in sand and putting small slabs on either side of it with large slabs in top. Also running the pipe inside a garden hedge so no attackers can tread on it and then running it on the outside of a wire fence for the last part.

You’re right about the rock. There’s precious little soil and cutting down into rocks is no fun at all.