Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No water  (Read 489 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
No water
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »

The outdoor thermometer recorded -4 C last night, no snow, bright blue skies and sunshine and the water is all frozen - our water comes from a deep borehole with a tank above ground. So no water to flush toilets or make a cup of tea.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: No water
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »

So no water to flush toilets or make a cup of tea.

I guess buckets of water from the murky stream will suffice for the former, the latter will be more of a problem. Bottled water, perhaps? What is your neighbour doing? (The one with whom you share the borehole.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:59:36 PM »

Can I trade you a broken boiler, and no central heating?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »

One of my fitters came in the other day, said his boiler had developed a water leak. As soon as he showed me a picture, straight away I saw it was the condensate pipe, which meant it was most likely frozen up. When he checked, it was, it discharged in to a gutter which was completely frozen.

For the moment he's run it into a bucket.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 03:20:47 PM »

> Bottled water, perhaps? What is your neighbour doing? (The one with whom you share the borehole.)

We have some bottles of water in the fridge - we were prepared to some degree. My neighbour is in the same state as we are. Either the problem lies with the freezing of pipework running to the house or the massive above-ground storage tank. We also have an water storage tank in the garage and it is very cold in there because the main garage door is letting cold north draft in due to perishing / failure of the draft excluder flap along the bottom of the door. That water tank in the garage is very much a life saver.

Another big problem is getting drinking water to the donkeys, who drink a lot. We could always just take them to the stream and solve the problem that way.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 05:14:47 PM »

Still no water even though the ambient temperature has been above zero for a few days now in the daytime - although I should ask Janet what the min overnight temperature has been in case it’s refreezing overnight. Janet has a max-min thermometer. I suspect the problem is between the house and the garage - a length of piping which is not buried deeply enough and is not well insulated. Is there any way of giving the system a nudge, to hurry the thaw along?