Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice on first modem  (Read 2290 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Advice on first modem
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »

I myself should start thinking about using VMG 8924-B10A units, as they are cheaper than the VMG1312-B10A devices I’m using now. Can they still be bought new, boxed?...]

VMG8324-B10A would suit too as it's the same unit but without 5GHz WiFi. Both have the noise filter on the DSL input like your beloved VMG1312-B10A. They're not available new but new old stock units do crop up quite often on eBay.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

peteS

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »

VMG8324-B10A would suit too as it's the same unit but without 5GHz WiFi. Both have the noise filter on the DSL input like your beloved VMG1312-B10A. They're not available new but new old stock units do crop up quite often on eBay.
 :)

Yep - I bought a couple recently on ebay - one NOS and one just lightly used.  No warranty etc., but that's they I bought 2 - just in case.

Adam1V

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »

Ive managed to find a 3925-B10B off ebay, new and unopened.

Currently just playing around with it and exploring menus, it's not immediately obvious that I can use it in modem/router mode to connect to Sky Fibre Pro (MER Option 61), is that expected? I can only see PPoA for ADSL and PPoE for VSDL. I've tried using suggested abcdefgh@skydsl and a few numbers for a password, however I think it needs to be set to MER with a client identifier ID and Vendor class ID Inputted, which isnt visible.

To be honest, i dont plan to use it in this manor, it'll be set to bridge mode and i'll be using a seperate router however i wanted to connect to the internet with it and just have a play as well as update the firmware.

I cant find what firmware version its on and 'Firmware Update' isnt an option from within the maintenance menu but for now ive assumed that might be visible once an internet connection is established.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 05:55:34 PM »

It is indeed not obvious, it involves manually setting a VLAN that connects the VDSL virtual NIC to an actual physical port on the router, thus making a bridge.  But this is exactly the same way any router turns into a bridge, it just has to be done manually on these units.

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Adam1V

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 06:36:55 PM »

Thanks for that.
Still slightly confused so apologies if these are daft questions but if I get this straight;

1, I need to setup one of the physical ports to be part of a VLAN
2, In the WAN settings for VDSL I can map the connection over to said VLAN
3, I physically connect the blue WAN port to the Yellow VLAN port and it should be good to go?

Should the VDSL settings be set to router or bridge mode?

Thanks in advance.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »

LAN1 becomes the Modem/Bridge port, you connect it to WAN on your router.
The only difference here is that as you are with Sky you need to use different settings on your new router, DHCP rather than PPPoE.  This is discussed in another thread on the forum somewhere.

Further instructions are for setting up a second port to be able to still connect to the UI for reading statistics.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:52:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2021, 07:09:34 PM »

Ive managed to find a 3925-B10B off ebay, new and unopened.

Currently just playing around with it and exploring menus, it's not immediately obvious that I can use it in modem/router mode to connect to Sky Fibre Pro (MER Option 61), is that expected? I can only see PPoA for ADSL and PPoE for VSDL. I've tried using suggested abcdefgh@skydsl and a few numbers for a password, however I think it needs to be set to MER with a client identifier ID and Vendor class ID Inputted, which isnt visible.

To be honest, i dont plan to use it in this manor, it'll be set to bridge mode and i'll be using a seperate router however i wanted to connect to the internet with it and just have a play as well as update the firmware.

I cant find what firmware version its on and 'Firmware Update' isnt an option from within the maintenance menu but for now ive assumed that might be visible once an internet connection is established.

I use the 3925's..more than likely partially locked so you cant see the firmware or supervisor password. Fairky easy to crack this. There are a few threads on this or happy to help you if required.

Just needs configuring in bridge mode. Can send you screen shots if required. I would get it unlocked so you have full access to all menu's/settings..

Some of mine are ex Kcom which I unlocked. I have one on a sky vdsl setup on bridge on another line too
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:12:14 PM by skyeci »

Adam1V

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »

LAN1 becomes the Modem/Bridge port, you connect it to WAN on your router.
The only difference here is that as you are with Sky you need to use different settings on your new router, DHCP rather than PPPoE.  This is discussed in another thread on the forum somewhere.

Further instructions are for setting up a second port to be able to still connect to the UI for reading statistics.

I might be confusing matters here, but currently I do not have a router. this is on the way.
I understood I could use the 3925 as a combined router/modem (literally only just to get online, play around, nose through menus with), is this feasible?

I note, once the router arrives, this will connect to the WAN port and the connection will need to be set in Bridge mode.

Adam1V

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 07:42:31 PM »

I use the 3925's..more than likely partially locked so you cant see the firmware or supervisor password. Fairky easy to crack this. There are a few threads on this or happy to help you if required.

Just needs configuring in bridge mode. Can send you screen shots if required. I would get it unlocked so you have full access to all menu's/settings..

I have admin access (username admin, password 1234), however firmware options still not visible.
Will I need to reflash using TTL cable?

Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »

You just need the output of cat /var/passwd file then use hashcat to crack the supervisor password. My gpu takes about 12 mins to do it. I do find the older version of the firmware makes it easier.

Adam1V

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2021, 08:13:22 PM »

You just need the output of cat /var/passwd file then use hashcat to crack the supervisor password. My gpu takes about 12 mins to do it. I do find the older version of the firmware makes it easier.

Not sure if it still warrants unlocking, but just found if I login with a newly created user account (non-admin) it displays the full menus as well as the firmware upgrade.
Pages: 1 [2]