Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advice on first modem  (Read 2288 times)

Adam1V

Advice on first modem
« on: February 14, 2021, 04:43:59 PM »

Hi guys, first time poster here.
I’m looking to break out my broadband connection using a separate modem and UniFi UDM Pro.

Currently using Sky VDSL 70/20.

I had originally settled on using a Vigor 166 however a few posts on here are suggesting the firmware is not particularly stable.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions, is the 130 a decent and stable alternative?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Advice on first modem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 04:53:55 PM »

I would say depends on your cab type if you know it?
I use vmg3925 in bridge on eci cab. I want the real time line stats. They are cheap and very stable. Easy to get supervisor access too
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 04:56:07 PM by skyeci »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:40:43 PM »

Hi guys, first time poster here.

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

As above . . . If you are interested in the circuit statistics, one of the ZyXEL VMGnnnn-B10 series devices should serve you well.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Adam1V

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

I would say depends on your cab type if you know it?

Where can I find the cabinet type?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:13:35 PM by Adam1V »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:16:03 PM »

Just looked it up, and slightly puzzled as it’s listing FTTC is unavailable to my phone number and postcode when it clearly is?

Ah, that data comes from the SamKnows website and, unfortunately, is horribly out of date. So you are located in the area served by the Midsomer Norton telephone exchange. If you know the primary cross-connection point (cabinet) number, it is fairly easy to lookup the details on the Magenta Systems CodeLook website.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 06:21:11 PM »

I work in radstock/MSN area. Seen a few huawei's round there...hope you are on one..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 06:24:38 PM by skyeci »

Adam1V

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »

I work in radstock/MSN area. Seen a few huawei's round there...hope you are on one..

small world! I live very close to the centurion and I think im connected to the Cabinet right next to the roundabout:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:08:36 PM by Adam1V »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 08:36:08 PM »

The good news is that Huawei cabinets have been exclusively deployed in the Midsomer Norton area.

Looking via Google Maps Street View, I am fairly certain that is the "fibre twin" to SSMID P3.

Adam1V

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 08:43:39 PM »

Sorry for the daft question, but what is it with the Huawei cabinets, are they out performing all others?
After doing a lot of reading on this site, I think the ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A appears to be a wise choice of modem, set in Bridge mode?

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »

small world! I live very close to the centurion and I think im connected to the Cabinet right next to the roundabout:

Nice. Will be passing it in the morning heading for westfield... I would opt for a broadcom device and not a draytek given your vdsl cab type.

8924 bit old now. Try a vmg3925-b10b

Huawei cab has better options than eci. 3db profiles, g.inp as an example, vectoring (on some)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:54:24 PM by skyeci »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »

Sorry for the daft question, but what is it with the Huawei cabinets, are they out performing all others?

It is actually the case of what is wrong with the alternative infrastructure cabinets (with ECI electronics) that were deployed for the FTTC (VDSL2, ITU-T G.993.2) service. Given that is was just a binary choice, the elapsed years of deployment have shown "Huawei good", "ECI bad". (With apologies to "Snowball" from George Orwell's novel, "Animal Farm".)  :D

peteS

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 07:10:51 AM »

Nice. Will be passing it in the morning heading for westfield... I would opt for a broadcom device and not a draytek given your vdsl cab type.

8924 bit old now. Try a vmg3925-b10b

Huawei cab has better options than eci. 3db profiles, g.inp as an example, vectoring (on some)

8924 may be a bit old, but if you're just using it as a modem, then I find it great.  I've recently moved from a draytek to 8924 to match up with broadcom in the cabinet using an 8924.  Very happy with it.  I am lucky to have a very good line - max attainable rate for me is 115/25 this morning and I get 80/20 with SNMR of about 15db each way, but it's been completely solid, and the dual port setup to enable monitoring using dslstats is very nice and simple.  All in all, turn everyone off (wifi etc.), set it up as a bridge, and you're good to go.  And, of course, it has the added advantage of being available for about £10 on the auction site of your choice...

After a load of fiddling, i also got the voip ports to work when it's in bridge mode, it's £10 buys you voip as well...

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »

I myself should start thinking about using VMG 8924-B10A units, as they are cheaper than the VMG1312-B10A devices I’m using now. Can they still be bought new, boxed?

Consider putting the Johnson (our very own kitizen) firmware in them so you get PPP MTU 1508 and the functional enhancements including the ‘easy stats’ (as I have termed it) built-in web server. See https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/releases

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 10:01:43 AM »

I'm using a Draytek Vigor 130 with my VDSL line to Unifi USG3 and USG4Pro, and it has been bulletproof.  If you use it as a pure modem (ie with PPPoE being handled in the Ubiquiti router) there are some Unifi config hoops you have to jump through to get SSH access from the LAN onto the router; these may not be possible on the UDM Pro as from what I understand they removed the ability to edit the JSON config manually.

Web stats are pretty limited from what I recall.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »

For reliability I can recommend a VMG3925. Mine has not been rebooted for 307 days and the DSL connection has been up for 47 days.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2