Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrated from UniFi standard firmware to OpenWRT  (Read 3505 times)

underzone

• Reg Member
Migrated from UniFi standard firmware to OpenWRT
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:07:03 PM »

I just flashed my 2x Unifi AP ac-pro's with openwrt.
Best thing I ever did. Gets rid of the flaky unifi controller/unwanted control!

https://openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifiac

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 09:48:11 PM by underzone »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Migrated from UniFi to OpenWRT
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:23:10 AM »

Shame the nanoHD isn't supported in stable.  I'm a bit wary of flashing it with snapshot as there seems to be no details of how it performs or how to revert back if it sucks.

I will probably give it a go when I replace it with a WiFi 6e AP as the unit it will be replacing at that point already has OpenWRT on it so it would be easier to directly replace it if it has all my custom scripts on it too for viewing active clients.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:25:12 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Newfie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »

Shame the nanoHD isn't supported in stable.  I'm a bit wary of flashing it with snapshot as there seems to be no details of how it performs or how to revert back if it sucks.

I will probably give it a go when I replace it with a WiFi 6e AP as the unit it will be replacing at that point already has OpenWRT on it so it would be easier to directly replace it if it has all my custom scripts on it too for viewing active clients.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-gt-axe11000-5-vs-6-ghz-a-preview.70287/

Seems 6E has some way to go yet. Less throughput than 5Ghz and latency increase so will be interesting to see his final results.
I’m running a UDM at the moment with a NanoHD and I questioned what standards the new U6 lite and LR have as they could be draft 3. Very little info stating if DL and UL OFDMA, TwT and full BSS colouring are supported.
Both of these are only 5Ghz WiFi 6 supported so I’ll wait till I see a fully fledged access point that shows what is covered and to see 2.4Ghz in the WiFi 6 standard.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:17:54 PM by Newfie »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 03:17:50 PM »

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-gt-axe11000-5-vs-6-ghz-a-preview.70287/

Seems 6E has some way to go yet. Less throughput than 5Ghz and latency increase so will be interesting to see his final results.
I’m running a UDM at the moment with a NanoHD and I questioned what standards the new U6 lite and LR have as they could be draft 3. Very little info stating if DL and UL OFDMA, TwT and full BSS colouring are supported.
Both of these are only 5Ghz WiFi 6 supported so I’ll wait till I see a fully fledged access point that shows what is covered and to see 2.4Ghz in the WiFi 6 standard.

Intel haven't launched the 6Ghz compatible drivers yet for the AX210, notice they mention "with the borrowed-from-Killer 22.30.0.11 driver".

I also don't trust anyone who "let the router auto-select channels".

I've always been a bit wary of SNB as in the past I've had better speeds than they tested on the same hardware.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 03:27:03 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Newfie

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:18 PM »

Intel haven't launched the 6Ghz compatible drivers yet for the AX210, notice they mention "with the borrowed-from-Killer 22.30.0.11 driver".

I also don't trust anyone who "let the router auto-select channels".

I've always been a bit wary of SNB as in the past I've had better speeds than they tested on the same hardware.

There’s a chap there Beta testing the NG E router and has the same results and that chap knows his networking.
That site has some hidden surprises if you know the people behind the post names, some are the best in the game and work for various companies as well as the well known third party coders.
He’s now posted more info which you may or may not find interesting.
Broadcom announced that coverage would not be far off that of 5Ghz but they marketed that but that client at the edge is going to suffer and slow down everything.
I expect to see driver updates and that’s the same with the routers once Broadcom push them out as that’s what’s being used within the routers at the moment.
I’m expecting to see 6Ghz with less coverage meaning devices at the edge will start hogging the airtime as they do with all standards considering all management code is sent via the primary channel still.
So while they may not have the correct drivers is does indicate what to expect.
There’s a lot of people jumping onto wifi6 unifi stuff yet no one knows if it’s draft or what is running behind it and that’s half the problem with this standard. Ubiquiti just say OFDMA on their new WiFi 6 APs but is the UL and DL, does it have full BSS colouring as well as other standards and as it stands it’s only on the 5Ghz channel so it’s not something I’m rushing into yet.
A classic example is my RAX120 which is draft 3 so does not have UL OFDMA, TwT or full BSS colouring and the stat page for rx and tx retries is clearly not working correctly. I’ve moved back to the UDM at the moment and I expect wifi6 to be short lived compared to other standards due to recent announcements.
I’ve a feeling like all standards it will be half baked and most of the selling will be marketing. OFCOM indicated that 6Ghz would help VR and AR and so you need to be fairly close and with correct power levels to gain the best out of that. I would imagine a 17db would be the match from a router to such device to keep the retries down to a min which is why a single all singing router set at max output is not the best solution when matching up with clients that are based on a 17db measurement ie I could be 40ft on my rax120 and still connect to 5Ghz but the device which is an iPad is based on 17db so I was just getting thousands of retransmissions that in turn slowed down the network as it hogged the airtime and all those management protocols are still sent on the primary channel alone regardless of width setting. A router set to 29db with a client close to it will also increase rx and tx retransmissions.
I was also surprised with battery performance on a mobile device with the 120, it was poor and I believe they aimed at lower latency as I bet the DTIM was set low where as Some manufactures like Apple recommend a setting for improved battery life but with the cost of increase latency.
So while 6E may offer less interference which may or may not be applicable to the individual the problem is what will be supported in the long run, will we see appliance make use of it and what benefit does it provide to a said client. We may end up seeing very few devices supporting it and those that do it may provide very little over a 5Ghz connection and with 2024 comes WiFi 7 another standard that offers more throughput but behind all that is the poor implementation of inner standards but great marketing to produce sales.
It will be interesting to see what’s supported by clients as time rolls forward. I’m a tad worried the fall off is so quick but that’s the nature of the beast. It’s looking like a good chose fore close range rather than thinking it will cope with a typical brick build we have as those testers on SNB could be testing in a different environment. 50db is going to be shortish for clients though.
The biggest flaw however is the end user, I can bet those with the bigger bad boy routers from the likes of Asus, NG, TP and so on set transmit power firmly stuck on 100 little knowing just what effect it has let along picking all that lovely interference up from other neighbour channels and showing your channels too so in the end it’s just a giant competition and no one wins.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 01:44:57 PM by Newfie »

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Migrated from UniFi standard firmware to OpenWRT
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »

I just flashed my 2x Unifi AP ac-pro's with openwrt.
Best thing I ever did. Gets rid of the flaky unifi controller/unwanted control!
Out of interest, what do you find flaky about the Unifi controller?  I moved all my home gear over to Unifi about a year ago and it has been the most trouble free year ever as far as home networking goes.
(USG4Pro + controller + various switches + UAP-AC Lite)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »

The thing is though I WANT 6Ghz to have less range,  it saddens me that 60Ghz has been so neglected for WiFi for that reason.  There has to be a lot of scenarios where having coverage only in direct line of sight in the same room is a HUGE advantage.

I mostly use my WiFi from about 5m line-of-sight away from the the nanoHD and the number of retransmissions I get is saddening, turning the power down is problematic as I don't necessarily want to push further away devices onto the clogged 2.4Ghz band and the lack of channels makes setting up a second AP on a different channel somewhat moot for those devices as I already have a 5Ghz PtP link across the road and another AP over there.

This is why I really want 6Ghz as I will use it for devices in the same room, pushing everything outside the room onto 5Ghz and keeping 2.4Ghz for IoT where bandwidth is not a problem.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 03:56:46 PM »

Out of interest, what do you find flaky about the Unifi controller?  I moved all my home gear over to Unifi about a year ago and it has been the most trouble free year ever as far as home networking goes.
(USG4Pro + controller + various switches + UAP-AC Lite)

Well mine crashed for the first time a couple of days but mostly its just insanely heavy and overly complicated if all you want are WiFi APs.

There's also a lot of work going on to optimise WiFi on OpenWRT, especially on ath10k chipsets.  Ubiquiti have a reputation for releasing broken firmware, alas I've lost 100Mbit off my nanoHD over firmware updates and seem to get more retries than I did before despite the fact its not seeing any other networks clashing to cause it.

Ubiquiti are also in breach of the GPL as they use OpenWRT as their firmware base and tend not to release the source.

I get how for large networks Unifi has its benefits, but on the other hand are we not moving to platform agnostic solutions these days such as SD-WAN?  I suppose I will give them credit for one thing, at least they have an API.

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »

Well mine crashed for the first time a couple of days but mostly its just insanely heavy and overly complicated if all you want are WiFi APs.

There's also a lot of work going on to optimise WiFi on OpenWRT, especially on ath10k chipsets.  Ubiquiti have a reputation for releasing broken firmware, alas I've lost 100Mbit off my nanoHD over firmware updates and seem to get more retries than I did before despite the fact its not seeing any other networks clashing to cause it.

Ubiquiti are also in breach of the GPL as they use OpenWRT as their firmware base and tend not to release the source.

I get how for large networks Unifi has its benefits, but on the other hand are we not moving to platform agnostic solutions these days such as SD-WAN?  I suppose I will give them credit for one thing, at least they have an API.
Fair enough.  I guess just for running WAPs it is perhaps excessive; I find for running a whole network it has quite a few nice features though.  I'm not sure I'd class my network as "large" - about 30-40 devices in the house.

I wasn't aware they had some OpenWRT-based products, a bit naughty if they're not releasing GPL source (I see they've sent some sources to some folk on request).

In my own historic experience (an X86 PC OpenWRT router, HH5 on OpenWRT / LEDE, various flashed bits of TPLINK gear) Wifi was never great on OpenWRT, seemed constrained by poor access to closed source proprietary drivers.  Sounds like things might have got better since the last time I looked - maybe 3 years ago now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 04:17:10 PM »

In my own historic experience (an X86 PC OpenWRT router, HH5 on OpenWRT / LEDE, various flashed bits of TPLINK gear) Wifi was never great on OpenWRT, seemed constrained by poor access to closed source proprietary drivers.  Sounds like things might have got better since the last time I looked - maybe 3 years ago now.

Alas the reason I switched to the nanoHD was indeed due to performance issues with ath10k at the time on my Fritzbox.  However there has been a LOT of work since then and the nanoHD has proven to have the same problems with firmware updates tanking WiFi performance, so I'm really unimpressed at this point.  I currently have a 1300Mbit link rate but am getting 300Mbit throughput while UniFi is saying everything is Good.  :'(

underzone

• Reg Member

Newfie

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »

The thing is though I WANT 6Ghz to have less range,  it saddens me that 60Ghz has been so neglected for WiFi for that reason.  There has to be a lot of scenarios where having coverage only in direct line of sight in the same room is a HUGE advantage.

I mostly use my WiFi from about 5m line-of-sight away from the the nanoHD and the number of retransmissions I get is saddening, turning the power down is problematic as I don't necessarily want to push further away devices onto the clogged 2.4Ghz band and the lack of channels makes setting up a second AP on a different channel somewhat moot for those devices as I already have a 5Ghz PtP link across the road and another AP over there.

This is why I really want 6Ghz as I will use it for devices in the same room, pushing everything outside the room onto 5Ghz and keeping 2.4Ghz for IoT where bandwidth is not a problem.

Good old ad, that sadly flopped and NG9000 and xr700 are now out of production.

You might need to increase the amount of APs to cover the area deeping on your needs. I’ve had just 6 dropped retries so I’m happy now and my Nano is setup as a wireless connection to the UDM. I’m running the latest build and it’s rock solid too even though I have the side effects of its wireless connection. I’ve not had any issues with the NanoHD but the UDM 2.4 is nothing to right home about but it’s not an issue for me.

6ghz should be perfect for you then.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »

Looks like 802.11ay is still being worked on as an upgrade for ad.  I guess it should at least mean the WiGig point to point links get even faster.  Maybe something I will look into replacing my litebeam at some point, although I think it might not work as theres a tree and walls between my link that 5Ghz seems to navigate (despite being highly in-advised) but I doubt 60Ghz could.  I had intended to put the other side outdoors but the person living there wasn't too keen and as it worked well enough to get some Internet there, I didn't press the issue.

Adding a second AP wouldn't be hard to do, but its a small house and reception is great everywhere (doesn't need top speeds upstairs as everything that can be wired, already is) so WiFi 6E seems the perfect solution.

Adam1V

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 08:19:14 PM »

Also these reports about features being removed willy nilly in 'updates' doesn't help Ubuiqti's reputation:
https://community.ui.com/questions/Removing-Multisite-The-End-of-Self-Hosting/a71ab3fc-1911-4017-a596-80a82c8fc409

Think they've already caved in on that one and quietly added it back in (via a toggle in the settings). Dont think they've admitted to removing it, only migrating the "feature" to said toggle  :hmm:

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 09:32:35 AM »

Interesting thread, it hadn't occurred to me that one could install OpenWRT on a Ubiquiti WAP. It's good to know it is out there and available in case I run into problems with my WAP's but so far I have found them to be faultlessly (boringly?) reliable and to perform very well..

I only have two AC-PRO WAP's at home, the controller software seems to run nicely in docker on my NAS and is pretty easy to update. Personally I like the Unifi controller software interface, the mobile app and the ability to rolling deploy updates but I can see that for more serious professional applications the multi-site functionality might be important.

C
Pages: [1] 2